[General Discussion Lounge][The Dragons Nest] :dracthyr_yay_animated:

This weekend I shall be working as I do almost every weekend. Popped up to London today to have lunch with friends but, being self employed, that means working both days. It’s nice to have the freedom to choose where and when I work, but it always nags at the back of my head when I’m not.

1 Like

What alignment are the two of you?

1 Like

Nice!
I will DM a Spelljammer session in monday

Well, since I’m a Dungeon Master more than I actually play; ALL OF THEM!
:kissing_heart:

I currently have 2 active characters in 2 active campaigns though;
A male half-orc druid - neutral good.
A female human warlock - lawful good (she has a celestial as a patron).

The campaign with the druid is almost done and I’ve already made my new character for the campaign we’re going to be playing after that one: An elderly male human fighter (using the critical role gunslinger subclass).

1 Like

Its showing its age now but I still play Skyrim regularly but like most ES games after Redfall and Fallout 3 to current, it needs to be modded to get the best out of it. At the very least the unofficial bug fixers modders put in.

I am very much looking forward to Skyblivion though, that looks like an awesome fan built game and a lot of work into it.

Hopefully now that Starfield is pretty much on the way they will start full development on ES6, looks likely it will be High Rock.

And ofc SF6 turned out to be e-sport bound so I will be giving that a hard miss like I did with 5.

So sad to see a franchise I grew up with from 1987 reduced to cash shop and having to suffer screaming ten year olds who are actually physically elder than ten…

Oh well least I still have mame and sf4

I had a Spectrum 48k then the 128k model - loved typing in all those hours of code

2 Likes

the old POKE cheat codes…

Tell me I’m not the only one who felt like a master programmer by simply doing this…

10 CLS
20 PRINT “I AM A GOD”
30 GOTO 20

Anyways… Lets remind kids nowadays how lucky they actually are complaining about a loading screen nowadays…

2 Likes

OK, i will tell you that you are not lol

1 Like

Is it the same as installing all those games of old…?

You know, that old win98 meme where it takes 84 years to download a 500MB game because your internet is so slow. Then, you also have to fire up your InstallShield Wizard to be able to play it… after a good 30 mins of installing it and placing 2 CD’s into your rig that somehow didn’t even work for the first time and are a replacement from that geek fren from 7th grade IT class, you know, with the freckles and a big pair of glasses…

Nowadays your DL would be a 1 min process for games that large, and installation would take 3 seconds. Then you’re good to enter and shoot up a couple demons in old Doom.

1 Like

I remember one of my ild Amstrad CPC 464 games taking 27 minutes to load drom a cassette…

And that was every time you wanted to play it.

A game install on an old system was a one off.

Imagine having to wait 27 minutes every time you wanted to play WoW.

Even as an offline game.

Oh you sweet summer child!! Soul is so old he remembers when games were played on cassette tapes!!

3 Likes

As do i - fond memories of my old ZX Spectrum…

4 Likes

I have this question that I ask every time I get to know someone who had the luck to run programs from cassettes but so far I haven’t had a clear answer yet:

If you used that cassette on a normal audio player like a portable radio, what would you hear?

To my shame I also remember playing games on cassettes on an Amstrad!! My big brother was so protective of that thing and his precious flight sim game and would get really mad when I crashed the planes on landing :dracthyr_hehe_animated: Such fond childhood memories…

1 Like

You would hear the same thing as the loading screen on the video as the code was transferred to a cassette in audio format, the sound you hear on that video is the code being transferred to the computer’s CPU which then converts the audio signal to the program the computer can read, so if you played it on a regular cassette like the original walkman (hands up all the people who remember the orange fuzzy foam headphones) , it’s why you hear breaks and pauses. People who remember dial up may also remember phoning the number you got from the isp to connect to a network and you heard the same kind of sound.

But the old cassette tapes were a particularly lucrative gold mine for me, my dad owned a stereo system that had a record function AND a simultaneous play cassette deck that you could record tapes.

This meant I could charge people 50p a pop to “copy” a game for them and I spent the money I made buying originals to keep my little business going…

Ahh the good ol days of innocent larceny…

3 Likes

Still not as old as you, or Puny, or Alagondar, or Shammoz, or Ananda (not too hard that one to be fair…) or twiluna, or Dunkiee, or indeed anyone.

Damn old people…

2 Likes

Fine, you got me…

I might look like I’m 24, but it’s really just elven immortality keeping my youthful looks. In reality, multiply my age by 100…

There you go, now you know why I yell out like a grumpy old lady at times.

These darn kids!!

1 Like

Its the vampire in you, you blood sucking leech.

Throws garlic

1 Like

Anyway! Star Wars joke.

If none of you get i am sorely vexed.

A family is having dinner and the litt boy asks “If R2 is short for R2-D2, and Chewie us short for Chewbacca, and Annie is short for Anakin, what is Luke short for?”

Family all sit with blank faces.

Then dad replies,

“A stormtrooper.”

2 Likes