General RP Chat #52: *A flash of light did nothing*

Dal’Zaram is actually a word in thalassian. I don’t think we have a translation for “dal” but zaram means blade.
I assume Dal is taken from the word dal’dieb so it probably is an existing word or prefix, we just don’t know what it means.

I’ve been thinking of writing up a play-by-post story thread for some cooperative roleplaying but I’m not sure if there’s enough interest.

The premise is simple; a generation or two from our current woes the factions have started to erode from all the wars and with the defeat of the last big vauge threat to unify the world against a bigger fish, the long held resentment, tensions and territorial ambitions of supposed allies finally shatters the factions.

Players of all races band together in the chaos for a number of personal reasons and here I need some input on worldbuilding and a preferred starting location.

The general outline of the world is that the eastern kingdoms have balkanised into kingdoms new and old, some fiercely imperialist while others would rather wall themselves off. Notably, Stormwind is rivalled by Arathor across the thandol span, both with pretenses of being mankind’s true home and the dwarven clans being bogged down in another great war to determine who’s to rule after emperor Dagran II died from illness and was absolutely not poisoned at a feast.

Kalimdor is more evenly split into north and south as the dwindling kaldorei struck hard in retaliation, among the first to go independent with the support of various nature spirits. The south barrens and mulgore is contested between orcs and tauren with the darkspear seeking refuge in zandalar, now a fortress city ruled by a strict prelate theocracy. Centaur khans claim the desolace and parts of stonetalon, taking advantage of the situation to conquer, though they’ve yet to unify

Kul tiras was overrun with pirates, Boralus now a proud “last free city” but in truth an anarchic mess somehow rendered stable by its mercenary economy. A possible starting point?

Northrend is similarly a refuge with risks attached with New Agamand becoming a proper home city for the world’s free willed undead but with a number of caveats for living guests.

Pandaria, seeing the rest of the world collapse, turns inward under the firm hand of the shado-pan. For protection, or so it is said. Conscription swells their ranks as they become a rigid martial state with some wondering if the grandmaster will soon be declared emperor.

The broken isles see a suramar returning to isolation while the vrykul high king sets out to raid and plunder in this new age of battle. Glory to Odyn! Notably, warlord Rolf has been granted Moonbrook from Stormwind in a machiavellian move to stop the raiding and gaining a defensive ally against further raids.

The goblin cartels have siezed upon most legitimate trade in this chaotic time and booty bay has seen a hostile takeover, booming into an innovative though plutocratic “merchant republic” with a zero tolerance on piracy in their waters. All plunder is goblin property by law!

Interested players would need to present a basic character sheet with name, race, class, backstory and some specialty skill that can be worked into the game.

Would this be interesting and if so, how could I improve on this idea?

Moo. :wave:

Moo? Chek this out!
So

err

Uhm

What does the fox say?
(sorry, had to :fox_face: )

Is that a yes or a no to my wild musings?

:notes: Memorieeeeees :notes:

Does anyone else have an idea for a RP story thread? The typical play-by-post format unless you want some element of chance?

I think these forums are a tad too dead for that right now. Might want to try when Shadowlands prepatch comes around.

I’d rather not let the forum wither, languishing in wait for the next expansion. It’s a RP forum for RP things and it’s only dead if one makes it so. I want something meatier than the “X character above you” threads but can’t do it alone.

We can do a grand adventure with lots of twists and turns, loyalty and betrayal, several deadly encounters and a few gnomes to punt.

I approve of this.

Every voice in my head approve of that!

The untimely punt is the sudden but inevitable betrayal. What sort of story are we looking at here? Adventure? Palace intrigue? Screwball comedy? Avant-garde? Sci-fi reimagining? Classical horror? Deconstructive postmodern satire?

I guess the real question is whether we’re up for a new thread.

Maybe I saw Shadowbringers customizations, removal of bloody warforged RNG and the return of pvp vendors and caved.

Maybe a bit early to resub but I plan on starting over on a new server entirely (without paying for transfers cause im broke af) so I want some time to level and farm gold.

So how have things been here? :smiley:

A wee bit quiet for a number of reasons but I’m trying to remedy that with a story thread.

So, how 'bout them brown elves?

It’s more the Pandaren and Troll stuff I’m excited for. PANDAREN FINALLY GET DIFFERENT HAIR COLORS?? (as in not just highlights)

That and the new DKs. Gonna be a joy writing up stuff for those.

So, now blood elves moved to desert or jungle like areas while they were trolls and went through all the magical evolution on their own.
With how long lived one generation is, and how many generations of evolution it would take for that skin tone to develop, that is the only explanation.

I like how Blizzard chooses to spit on their own lore for the sake of forced diversity.

So my Night Elf in classic FINALLY hit 60 this week. Boom.

1 Like

Skintones are unrelated to genetic adaption in this setting. Neither elves nor humans nor any other race except maybe the trolls are naturally evolved and came about by magic.

The highborne were cast out, sailed east and changed in size and hue without the old ways to keep them tall, purple and lean. That’s the way it is. Forced diversity is just a reactionary buzzword without meaning, designed to trigger rage, clicks, subs and upvotes and I don’t think that it’s a bad thing to let people play a brown elf.

That’s about as political as I’ll get here.

How’s your easter if that’s your thing? Is anyone losing their mind to isolation yet?

2 Likes

I am :frowning: