Get the Nether-Gorged Greatwyrm with a 6-Month Subscription

I just find it odd that it takes up to 10 days to receive the mount.

lol tcg tabard for sub xD new low even for blizz
cant wait untill u give away my rooster or spectral tiger for free also

1 Like

But they want to.

Because it makes them money to do so.

This is not a gesture of generosity on their part. It’s a very common sales technique.

A while ago I was shopping some creams and lotions and such. I think I put €50 worth of stuff into the cart. But then they had this offer where you got a free deodorant if you purchased for a total of €60. So what did I do? I bought another €10 worth of stuff, so I could get the free deodorant as well!
So the company managed to squeeze an extra €10 out of me that I wasn’t intending to spend, and it only cost them the price of a deodorant – which surely cost them less than €10.

It’s the same thing Blizzard does. Lots of players are happy to buy 1 month worth of game time as they need it, when they need it. An offer like this nudges players toward shifting their subscription toward 6 months recurring, because it may not feel like a very big commitment in order to get that cool mount.
And Blizzard makes money out of people committing themselves to the game for longer.

It’s good business for Blizzard, but from a consumer point of view it’s not very desirable. It’s manipulative, because it urges us to spend more for one thing than we otherwise would, just so we can get another thing.

So am I. Hence why I corrected the terminology so it describes what the mount actually is. How the subscription offer personally pertains to you individually is irrelevant to the general terminology.

5 Likes

I don’t care in what terminology you believe. If I don’t pay is free. You can pretend to differentiate with imaginary made-up terminology and I will give you the reason like a fool, for making up what I only see as a different synonym that has no different, free for all, gift with purchase, others that you made up are all the same, different names for free things.

Call it free mount, call it gift with purchase, but I have not paid anything today and I will receive the mount. So, it is free.

1 Like

I don’t find it ugly, but…. It does look odd. Like a Naga and a Dragon and Mana worm had a child, and that child is that mount.

Would have much preferred something more simpler like a Blue updated Dragonhawk, roughly the same color as this mount. Would have made a better “Blood elf” theme mount.

But everyone has different tastes, and I congratulate whoever got this mount :smile:

1 Like

Out of curiosity how long is this offer on for?

Actually that could be subjective, some people pay six monthly or yearly for services they use continually. I for instance would happily pay in yearly blocks, but pay six monthly because I have lost count of the amount of mounts this has generated. So that to me is an added bonus.

Indeed WOW has been included in my budget just like my streaming services, for many years now. My bills allowance soaks it.

I actually consider it very cost effective in regards to hours spent entertaining me to the actual cost.

My hobbies, now they are the big spendy things…this has always been the joint thing me and my Hubby have, it’s just on a par now with streaming services. Just another mundane entertainment if you will.

1 Like

Exactly, this so simple is that people who believe the mount is not free for everyone can’t grasp it.

Receiving the mount has a prerequisite, being on a 6-month subscription. But for some players like you and me, the prerequisite is already a true statement, I have been on a 6-month subscription for years and I will continue for years to come, regardless of what thing they give as a bonus.

We already fulfilled that requirement without expecting any mount as a reward because it is a better option even without those mounts.

1 Like

But you do pay. You pay for 6 months of subscription. That’s the requirement for getting the mount – that you’ve bought a 6 months subscription.
If you haven’t done that, then you don’t get the mount.
Blizzard aren’t gifting this mount to everyone. They’re gifting it to those who have purchased a 6 months subscription. Hence why it’s called a gift with purchase.

Saying that you don’t care is a bit silly. In your initial comment you basically challenged haters to tell you that it’s not free. So consider yourself told.

Right, but you’re not the targeted audience for this offer, because you already pay for a 6 months subscription and would likely have done so even if the mount wasn’t part of it.

Blizzard haven’t included a mount with a 6 months subscription purchase to be nice to you and other people who happily buy 6 months subscriptions already. They’ve included it in an effort to get more people to buy the 6 months subscription. Because that’s more profitable for Blizzard. They want people to spend more money on WoW. If you buy a 6 months subscription, then you’ve spent the most money on WoW that you can. If all it takes for some people to do that is the inclusion of a mount, then Blizzard will definitely include a mount. It’s good business.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really make sense.

I use 6 month subs because it’s cheaper than paying month to month for 6 months. I get the mount.

2 Likes

And I paid for 6 months of subscription 3 months ago without knowing in advance they will give me this mounts.

Because I don’t care about the mount, I care about paying less money and a 6-month subscription is cheaper than 6 individual months. Blizzard could announce today the end of the 6-month subscription rewards and I still will keep paying with that subscription.

I pay that subscription without knowing what will be the future rewards, and I will pay the next one in 3 months without caring what will be the next rewards (if there are any) because this way is cheaper.

You got me. I enjoy some drama in the forums from time to time.

I don’t think so. They don’t make more money. At least not with me. I was already paying the 6-month subscription before they started giving those rewards and I was the type of player that eventually bought the store mounts (but only during discount periods, I always look for ways to pay less). So, at least in my case, they are losing a store mount sale by giving it with my already plan of subscription because definitely, I won’t buy this new mount if I already have it.

Of course, they make money for someone who changes thanks to these rewards from 1 or 2 months subscriptions to 6 months subscription, but they lose money from those that were already on 6 months subscription without the rewards.

1 Like

I still don’t like selling mounts for money, but I do like this a lot better than just straight up selling transmogs or mount. At least this comes with what the player needs to play, which is very nice.

1 Like

I think where there’s a little disconnection is that you (and others) view this solely from your own personal perspective – or from the perspective of a segment of people like you.
And from that perspective this can appear like a sweet deal and money saved and free mount and nice gesture from Blizzard and blah blah blah.

And that’s fine.

But from Blizzard’s perspective – who are the seller making the offer – it obviously also has to be beneficial for them. They are a profit-driven business.
And if they’re not earning extra money off of you with this offer – because you’ve reasoned that it’s cheaper to buy 1x6 months than 6x1 months – then they’re earning it off of someone else. And that someone else is obviously people who weren’t otherwise paying for 6 months worth of subscription (maybe only 2, 3, or 4 months of subscription in a 6 months period), but who have chosen to do so now, because the cool mount is desirable. So they end up spending more money on WoW than they otherwise would have spent in a 6 months period.

I work for a major company who also do gift with purchase offers. And we’re really good at it. We’re the best. We rank better than anyone else in the entire world. And it’s not a charity. It drives sales. It drives revenue. And it drives profits. It’s good business.
Blizzard are no different. If anything, their benefits are way better, because what they offer is entirely digital. There’s very little cost associated with it for Blizzard.

A case where Blizzard did gift players a free thing, was when they gave people who had subscribed continuously for 15 years(?) with a little statue. They didn’t earn anything from that, because they were basically giving the gift based on money people had spent in the past.
But these 6 months subscription mounts are not that. Their entire purpose is to make Blizzard more money.

3 Likes

They spend less on a 6 month sub than other sub options.

Oh nice. I’ve made a lot of gold this month. Time to trade in.

Actually is not profitable. Is more profitable for Blizzard someone who pays individuals month by month for years. A 6-month sub is more secure of course because it means that players can’t unsub for 6 months but I am sure if we were able to analyze the subscription data we will found many players paying individual months of 13 Euros during years until the moment they finally unsub.

That is the thing with people, they aren’t always efficient with their money. They keep paying month by month thinking about if they hypothetically want to unsub they can do it at any moment without realizing up until that point they have paid more money than the money they would have paid with a better subscription.

Even if I unsub now and leave 3 months unused I will still pay less than someone who has been paying month by month all Shadowlands, because for every 6 months I pay I received one month for free.

The fabled MaNaGon!

2 Likes

Not everyone plays all the time. Bob the casual might decide to play for two months only and then to go on break.
Six month deal might attract Bob the casual.

3 Likes

Consider this scenario:

Bob plays WoW on and off. In a year he is subscribed for a total of 8 months, usually around new expansion or patch releases.

Bob is also very fond of collecting mounts, so when he sees this offer he feels very compelled to buy it. After all, he often buys a subscription for WoW anyway, so it’s not like he wouldn’t enjoy having 6 months of access to WoW. And he enjoys collecting mounts, so having another one to his collection would be sweet.

So Bob buys the 6 months subscription and he’s happy. He doesn’t think so much about the fact that he just made a way bigger purchase than he usually does – after all, he got a cool mount for free!

After 6 months have passed and Bob’s subscription is about to run out he sees that Blizzard has a new offer available: 6 months subscription and another free mount!
Bob does hesitate a bit. He’s not sure if wants another 6 months. He usually doesn’t play WoW all the time. But he would get another free mount…

From Blizzard’s perspective this is a way of enticing people to spend more money on WoW, and then making the extra spending feel like a natural and normal spending habit – of course you always throw in the little extra to get the free stuff.

It’s good business. You always want to encourage your customers to spend more money, because some customers will in fact do that even if they weren’t initially prepared to do so.

2 Likes

That is indeed true and I suspect is what Jito is driving at, it’s a baiting technique to get people to change their subs.

Not everyone has the financial resources to pay upfront for the gaming subscriptions and I suspect I am a minority in the fact that I “only” play this game.

If you play two or three all with recurrent subscription costs, then a gift may incite you to spend more than you would normally.

1 Like