[Guide] Dragonmaw Clan: How to train your Dragonmaw

“We’re not craven, backstabbing scum like Orgrim Doomhammer! Dragonmaw clan fights to the bloody end, even if it be our own!” - Nekros Skullcrusher.

Hello Folks! After reading the recent guides to the other Orc clans I figured that it’s only right that my favourite clan the Dragonmaw Clan gets it fair time in the spotlight, and hopefully assist others whom might be interested in either Roleplaying a Dragonmaw or just interested in learning more about them.

History

Originating on Draenor, the Dragonmaw Clan dwelled in the Southwestern portion of Gorgrond, bordering Frostfire Ridge. It is here that the clan first tamed the Rylaks that hunted near their home and presumelby where the clan earned its name. Following Black hand’s ascension to Warchief, Kargath Bladefist was charged with wiping out the High Arrakoa. Forming a mobile unit consisting of elements from the Burning Blade, Shattered hand and the Dragonmaw clan along with some Arrakoa outcasts, the High Arrakoa of Skyreach were slaughtered, as were the outcasts who aided them. The Dragonmaw would follow Blackhand through the Dark Portal and take part in the ongoings of the First War.

As the events of the First War drew to a close Deathwing sought a mortal soul to wield the Demon Soul, a weapon that could control or destroy Dragons but could not be used by them. For this he chose the Chieftain of the Dragonmaw at the time, Zuluhed the Whacked and spoke to him in vivid dreams and visions, guiding him and his clan to the Redridge Mountains, where the clan found and slew the guardian of the Demon Soul, the Red Dragon Orastrasz. Despite over a dozen orcs falling to the Guardian of the Demon Soul, it was given to the greatest warlock of the Dragonmaw, Nekros Skullcrusher and with further guidance from Deathwing,through dreams and visions, Nekros became skilled with using the ancient relic.

Alexstrasza, aware that the Demon Soul had been recovered set out to reclaim it along with several of her kin, engaging the Dragonmaw at Khaz Modan. Using the power of the Demon Soul, Nekros brought Alexstrasza to the ground, binding her in chains. Able to inflict excruciating pain upon their Queen, the rest of the Red Dragonflight complied with the Dragonmaw’s demands and became enslaved to their will, the skies belonged to the Dragonmaw once more. Orgrim Doomhammer, pleased with this development and with Nekros adamant that he needed more time to control the Dragons effectively, the Dragonmaw were order to take up holdings in Grim Batol, where Alexstrasza and her brood would be enslaved for the duration of the First War.

From the onset of the Second War, Doomhammer continued to pressure Nekros to provide aerial support for the Horde fleet as it made its way north, towards Lordaeron. Nekros caved in to Doomhammer’s demands, despite protests that the Dragon’s training was not finished. Off the coast of Zul’Dare, three Red Dragons saved the Horde fleet from a crushing defeat at the hands of Daelin Proudmoore who previously had the upper hand in the fighting prior to the Dragon’s interference. Following the victory at sea, the Dragonmaw introduced more and more Red Dragons into the ongoing conflict, utilizing them to great effect during the Horde’s assault on Quel’thalas, much to the dismay of the Dragons themselves. Convinced by Gul’dan, Doomhammer ordered the Dragonmaw to keep an eye on Gul’dan and the Stormweaver Clan, ensuring that they either bring the shield around Silvermoon down in three days or that they follow him to Lordaeron. A few days following the Warchief’s departure, Gul’dan sought to leave the Elven kingdom behind him and to find the Tomb of Sargeras instead. As instructed, the Dragonmaw stood in his way but neither side wanted to fight each other and parted ways, returning to Doomhammer and reporting Gul’dan’s treason.

Following the failed Siege of Lordaeron, Doomhammer was forced to retreat to Khaz Modan, gathering what Dragonmaw he could, he attempted to rally the clan south, from Grim Batol to Blackrock Mountain, time however was not on the Horde’s side and the Alliance defeated the Horde before the Dragonmaw managed to fly south. The Dragonmaw split at this time, some following Chieftan Zuluhed back to Draenor and others following Nekros Skullcrusher back to Grim Batol. The Second War had come to an end.

Following Draenor’s apparent destruction, The Dragonmaw back on Azeroth assumed Zuluhed to have perished along with their homeworld. Nekros Skullcrusher as such, assumed the role of Chieftain and continued to produce dragons, amassing an army in Grim Batol, one of the last remaining orc forces still remaining in the Eastern Kingdoms that could threaten the peace in Lordaeron.The mage Rhonin was sent by Alexstasza’s prime consort, Korialstrasz to free his Queen from the Dragonmaw Clan by destroying the Demon Soul. Rhonin managed to destroy the relic, leaving the Dragonmaw clan to the wrath of Alexstrasza and her brood, whom tore Grim Batol asunder and scattered the Azerothian Dragonmaw even eating Nekros Skullcrusher whole. Those who survived the Dragon’s onslaught either escaped into the Highlands (Twilight Highlands) or were imprisoned in internment camps, to be freed later by Thrall. The Fall of Grim Batol signaled the fall of any major orc power on Azeroth and the end of the Horde.

While one group fled to the Highlands, another group lead by Nek’rosh Skullcrusher, son of the late Nekros Skullcrusher fled to the Wetlands and vowed vengeance on those who slew his father. Seeking to besiege Menethil Harbour and cut off supplies to Loch Modan, Nek’rosh began constructing catapults before being killed by Alliance adventurers, Gorfax Angerfang seems to have taken leadership of this band of Dragonmaw.

Back on Draenor, Zuluhed the Whacked and those who followed him back through the Dark Portal survived the shattering of the world. Drinking the blood of Magtheridon, the Dragonmaw on Outland became Fel Orcs and came to serve Lord Illidan Stormrage, using their knowledge and skills to capture and dominate the Netherwing Drakes that called Shadowmoon Valley home. The Dragonmaw in Outland broke the will of the Netherwing Drakes that they captured, forcing many to serve them, including the matriarch of the Netherwing, Karynaku.

Another group led by Overlord Mor’ghor was tasked with strip mining Netherwind Ledge, once home to the Drakes of the same name, to supply Illidan at the Black Temple. Mor’ghor however became guilty and sold the resources he found to the highest bidder, even selling Netherwing eggs to the Black Dragonflight to further Deathwing’s experiments in exchange, the Dragonmaw were allowed to ride Black Drakes if needed. All of these efforts were undone by an adventurer who killed Zuluhed, freed Karynaku and ruined Mor’ghor’s mining operations before fleeing on the back of Yarzil, an undercover Netherwing agent.

After Fleeing Illidan’s wrath and escaping back through the Dark Portal once more, Mor’ghor rallied the Dragonmaw remaining in the Highlands and declared himself Chieftain of the Dragonmaw Clan. Using Fel orc enforcers and warlocks to maintain his hold over the clan, many traditional minded orcs such as Zaela resented Mor’ghor and corrupted blood, believing that he would lead the Clan to ruin. Following poor negotiations with the encroaching Horde Fleet, Zaela freed the Horde’s representative and with their help incited a rebellion against Mor’ghor and his Fel Orcs, slaying them all. With Zaela as their new Chieftain, she Declares the Dragonmaw Clan for the Horde and immediately sets to establishing her rule and recovering the Demon Chain from Narkrall Rakeclaw’s corpse who falls in battle with the Wildhammer Dwarves.

Warlord Zaela is tasked by Warchief Hellscream to hold Bladefist bay against the combined forces of the Darkspear Rebellion and the Alliance. Riding atop her Proto-Drake Galakras, Zaela fails to hold the docks but manages to survive the siege. Warlord Zaela would return to lead the Black Iron in attacking Blackrock mountain which consisted of both Dragonmaw Orc loyalists and Iron Horde Orcs. Zaela is finally slain by Adventurers of both the Alliance and Horde, the fate of the Demon Chain is unknown.

Culture & Traditions

The Dragonmaw have a few traditions that set them apart of Orc culture as a whole, most of these revolve around the Dragons that they enslave and using their blood and teeth for various means. The Dragonmaw do not give their mounts a name until the beast has earned one, much like the Orcs themselves who only gain a surname after a particular deed, it makes sense that they would treat their beasts in a similar fashion.

The greatest warriors of the clan wear insignias carved out of dragon’s’ teeth and dyed in black blood, a display of skill, strength and power. It is unclear as to the exact purpose of these insignias, perhaps it indicates a high ranking member of the clan.

Whenever the Dragonmaw go on the warpath, everyone stops hunting. According to Griff, the best tasting food is stolen from the mouths of the enemy. An interesting statement, this implies that the Dragonmaw do no forage or hunt for themselves when they go to war but would rather pry food from their enemies’ cold, dead hands, gives you an idea of how cruel and vicious the Dragonmaw are as a people.

Depending on the Dragons the Clan is dominating at the time such as the Red Dragons during the Second War or the Black Dragons during Cataclysm, the Dragonmaw incorporate the very essence of their drakes into their way of life such as steeping bandages in the blood of Red Dragons, whose blood has healing properties, enhancing a regular bandage. In another example the Clan uses Dragons as way to seperate the strong from the weak as to become a champion of the Clan one must break the very will of a Black Dragon and that is only the first step, speaking of the proficiency of these champions.

The Dragonmaw have repeatedly shown utmost loyalty to the Warchief first and foremost, honouring Blackhand’s sons and again following Garrosh to the bitter end, despite his actions.

Appearance

The Dragonmaw Clan is one of the more unique looking clans alongside the Blackrock Clan. Years of dwelling in Grim Batol has rendered their skin pale and grey along with their yellow eyes makes them stand out from their kin, whether they be corrupted or not. Along with their pale skin color their eyes sometimes glow but not always which is a sharp contrast to their rather neutral skin colour. At one point in time, members of the clan adorned themselves with draconic tattoos although with the new models these have been removed, it is up to the role player in question whether your Dragonmaw bears these tattoos.

Relationships with Dragons & Drakes

In times past, The Dragonmaw use to tame the Rylaks that called Draenor’s skys its home. While it was not sure how the Clan achieved this it certainly was not with some artifact or weapon but from more traditional methods. Rylak were remembered fondly by the Dragonmaw as “Loyal Beasts” or Neighor which suggests some measure of respect between rider and beast, perhaps in similar fashion to the Frost Wolf Clan and their companions or the Warsong Clan and their wolves.

Upon entering Azeroth and with some manipulation from Nefarion the Dragonmaw Clan was guided to the Demon Soul, wielded by Nekros Skullcrusher, the Dragonmaw used this weapon to dominate Alexstrasa, the Queen of the Red Dragonflight and forced dragons to their will, a very different relationship than what the clan had with the Rylaks on their Homeworld, one of domination and pain rather than respect.

When the Horde invades the Twilight Highlands, Narkrall Rakeclaw bears the Demon Chain which was once attached to the Demon Soul and holds a residual amount of power to control the mind of Dragons, bending the powerful creatures to their will. Again this is a very forceful kind of relationship with the dragons, one lacking respect and tight bond that was once tradition back on Draenor.

NOTE: This next bit is speculation on my part, take it with a grain of salt.

The Demon Chain was believed to have been lost with Warlord Zaela’s death and as such so are the days of dominating the Dragons on Azeroth. However the Vrykul have rode the Protodrakes of Northrend for mounts before something that was adopted by the Dragonmaw as seen in the Siege of Orgrimmar with Zaela. Now without the Demon Chain the Clan could revert back to their roots, forming a bond with the Protodrakes rather than dominating them, perhaps securing some eggs and raising them as their own, leading a new generation of dragon riders into the Horde.

Guides about other Orcish Clans

[Guide] Frostwolf Clan: The Lone Wolf Dies, But The Pack Survives 🐺

[Guide] So you want to be a Blackrock? ⛰

[Guide] So you want to be Bleeding Hollow?

[Guide] Warsong Clan: May the Warsong Never Fade

Source

h ttps://wow.gamepedia.com/Dragonmaw_clan

h ttps://wow.gamepedia.com/Demon_Soul

h ttps://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Demon_Chain

h ttps://wow.gamepedia.com/Narkrall_Rakeclaw

Hope you found this to be an interesting and insightful read! If any of you have something to add or contend please comment below and I will update the thread accordingly.

22 Likes

This has been added to the (by now fairly substantial!) list of orc RP guides over on Useful Threads - good work!

7 Likes

Thank you, glad to even be a small part of such a great thread!

5 Likes

I kid you not I recently made a maghar orc and wishing that we had a guide for dragonmaw in a similar vein to the previous orcish RP guides. And here you are. Nice work!

5 Likes

Excellent guide!

It is also noteworthy to add that your speculation about the dragonmaw going back to forming bonds with their flying beasts isnt that far off.

The Short Story “The Strength of Steel” features a Dragonmaw protagonist, that abandons the “Dominating all things” traditions of his clan to form a meaningfull bond with a cloudserpent.

We’d ofcourse need new Lore on the Dragonmaw to confirm this, but for now it’s legit to do it either way for a dragonmaw char. Dominate or befriend. Or maybe a mix of the two.

6 Likes

That’s a cool, useful and nice guide Abel!

lok’tar!

3 Likes

I read about that Story briefly but I haven’t read it myself, but I will be sure to do so!

EDIT: Have read the Strength of Steel and it actually brought a tear to my eye. Such a beautiful and insightful read into the Dragonmaw, how they think, how they consider their dragons to be servants and themselves the master, a relationship built on perceived strength, absolutely amazing.

4 Likes

As perhaps the only Dragonmaw roleplayer around, I had thought about making a thread like this to get some more into this terribly underrated clan, I’m glad you did it instead, I’m not too great at guides!

4 Likes

Thank you! Feel free to add any tidbits you think I might have missed.

As for being the only Dragonmaw Orc around, stay tuned :wink:

4 Likes

One thing I could do is to shill my ingame community, “The Dragonmaw Clan”, It’s character-based, so if you do decide to create a Dragonmaw orc, hit me up in whispers or through warcraft-mail and I’ll send you an invite! :weary: :ok_hand:

5 Likes

More Sky-allies, this is awesome! There’s actually a Discord group for the whole 'We’re nutters who play flying characters" thing, which is cross faction, currently mostly the Sun Hawks, Knights Gryphon, Clan Stormheart and associated individuals, Its a nice environment for planning air to air scraps, and actually has a specific channel that is IC, which we all use when running Aerial PvP, which we did to phenomenal success just recently in the Silverpine campaign, I think there were about twenty fliers in the sky, all locked in dogfights. If you want in on it, as you’re on team Red, hit me, or Yasmyr, or Narme(with two weird dots over the ‘e’ because eh, who knows, the French) up and we’ll send you the link. It’s a great way of actually making the concept feel viable, and building up real aerial rivalries.

Anyway, best of luck, and welcome to the Skies!

5 Likes

“The horde had dragons, we had gryphons, we won that war”

Muhahahah

2 Likes

This is a really cool clan, for any of you wanting to make an orc, take a moment to read through this thread before you decide! (you can get away with having a proto-drake mount ic!!)

5 Likes

Hello, Dragonmaw clan has so much potential… would be great to see more action in the Highlands, there is the Clan Stormheart to fight against… there is so much history to explore… specially for rp pvp scenes! Yes… Twin Peaks as well! I see Raelka is quite active, but there needs to be more like her!

3 Likes

The Dragonmaw are rising… as soon as I reach 110.

3 Likes

B-but you look like a… Laughing… Skull!

Cowers

This is Abels alt o/

Mogs at level 70 are trash hence the skull :smiley:

1 Like

Oh hey Abel!

And that is very fair, the skull masks look good visually as mog :smile:

Speaking of mog im digging yours :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Although the chest piece isn’t mogged
And whenever this gonna update, mine will become Questing gear :wink: