[Guide] Metals and Minerals

To add to the Storm Silver section, it takes a year after blessing the metal before it can be used, where it’s buried underwater.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Brined_Justice_(Alliance)

This thread gives good insight on the metals and how they function, would be cool if it’s pinned.

Looking forward to some data on Shadowlands metals too, even though they have less relevancy and usage in RP compared to others, cause of being from another realm.

Unsure if necessary but I am posting here to keep this thread up. I have also been lazy to read up on any SL lore regarding SL metals and minerals, so if anybody has those, that’d be great!

2 Likes

I updated the table of contents with Argunite, Arkonite, Monelite, Lumenstone, Brinestone and the entry re: Storm Silver having to be buried for a year underwater before it can be used in construction of armour and weapons.

7 Likes

Very much worth the rescue.

5 Likes

This really deserves a pin or something.

I wish, man. Sent an email to forum support, but nothing.

their internal reasoning behind how to sticky threads is beyond me

This’d be very good that time some paladin got mad at me OOC for Hiyo claiming that his steel sword was hillariously bad compared to one of Pandarian steel.

If you need a source:

Day 7

The pandaren are full of questions, but no help at all. I admit I’m feeling immensely uneasy, and I can’t put my finger on why. It seems like all of my doubts are magnified here. The Horde will come back; I am certain of it. How many will come? Will they come by sea or by air? I must be ready!

The men are working double-time with half rations. The pandaren have offered food in trade but are not interested in Stormwind promissory notes and laugh at the quality of our steel. For some reason, this makes me furious. Do they know that they are about to be in the middle of a battlefield?

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Doren%27s_Logs

If one subscribes to the popular headcanon that the dwarves are an industrial superpower that manufactures and arms the entire Alliance’s military, then even dwarven steel is laughable in quality compared to Pandaren steel. The secret might lie in the ghost iron deposits of Pandaria, as we see it produces some remarkable weapons.

3 Likes

tbf i could see the dwarfs being the sort of jerks to save their good quality stuff for themselves and foist the humans off with their mass produced trash

1 Like

Kind of lowers the standard of the quality of dwarven smithing which seems to be their main driving point, doesn’t it?

they do seem to be moving towards more of a combined arms gunpowder, aircraft and tanks sort of warfighting as a race though

Heh! First off thank you for the resource! It is so wonderful for someone that actually does IC smithing RP! :fire::hammer_and_pick: Thank yee!

Although yeah in regards to the dwarven smithing - I would say as you both write here; that YES! The dwarfs do produce vast amounts of arms and machinery for the alliance armed forces.

But “smithing”? As I have used the accounts IC /in lore I could find; Smithing something of value and mass production is not the same and should not be treated equal.

Dwarven are good at “production” sure! BUT also have a culture of cultivating master smiths! :grin::hammer_and_pick:

Sadly - most if not all expacs since vanilla has made the new ore of the latest one … erh - stronger each time. So the old thorium and mithril, which was once a part of the dwarven secrets of good smithing - is compared to something like the highly enchantable ghost iron? Simply not as strong.

TLDR ; I do IC smithing and feel like as a Dwarven master smith- that later in expac have inflated the options of the “greatest ore” causing lore to shift to that expacs latest newcomers being the “greatest” … for a time! OCH! :hammer_and_pick::fire::beers:

1 Like

Personally, I quite agree. That dwarves are known for having master smiths among them is something of a staple at this time, but not every piece of armament that the Alliance wields is personally handcrafted by the greats.

Pandaren steel is superior in quality to what the Alliance military is armed with, and the secret might lie in the Ghost Iron used to craft it, since it’s the only type of iron we know of on Pandaria, and the land itself is saturated with Shaoaho’s Chi.

But Ghost Iron isn’t quite Thorium either. As we see above, Thorium’s qualities are still quite impressive. It only really appears in Khaz Modan, so the dwarves not only control the resource, but likely the techniques for smithing it. It’s so commonly used among dwarves that accidentally producing half a million arrowheads instead of half a million bullets is no big deal - just a logistical blunder.

Where the average human soldier might be armed with steel, the average dwarf might be equipped with thorium. And while new expansions do produce new ores that are given lore to warrant its use, these ores are often also written off as rare or uncommon, or restricted to certain areas. The common smith doesn’t have access to them, so to that end it’s important to know what the local ores are!

2 Likes

This! SOO MUCH THIS! HEH!

As I have had the pleasure to IC work with suppliers - and even getting hands on some rates ores. Every contract I make is a trip through my resources: scouring through what makes sense and fits the request made IC!

So defo! But as you mentioned the rarity of the ores as a baseline for lore balance / IC … I have come to realize that many look for the strongest - and just USE that … regardless if it would make sense haha! You know what I mean?

So it’s tricky! But I do follow the nature of smithing - I even have some planned stories with “learning” new ones in the future! :hammer_and_pick::beers:

Definitely. I personally limit my weapons to whatever material is locally available, unless there’s a story behind a more rare metal being used (family heirlooms, etc). My Kul Tiras-affiliated characters use Storm Silver, my squire down Northshire’s way uses steel from the abbey smith.

1 Like

Oh nice! I like that! Yeah - although that’s what I like about smith IC RP as one gets to become a means to improve or change people characters … even my own to an extent!

So it’s a lot of fun! And I am very thankful for the great shorthand that you have compiled! Lovely to have around if you forget details etc. :beers::fire::hammer_and_pick:

A rescue for a great guide.

4 Likes

Keeping this alive, another useful thread.

3 Likes

The monthly rescue

3 Likes