[Guide] Metals and Minerals

Perhaps we should combine some new info on shadowlands metals & minerals?

3 Likes

Let this wonderful topic stay open, oh gods of the forums! Sidenote, love the lore about metals, and I’m sad I didn’t save the one on the old forums. Alas, now we have this!

I’d like to convert this to an IC book. Would you want any of your character’s names on it?

I love this thread and everything about it, it’s unlike pyrite – it’s pure gold. I want to add this to the mix, even if it’s something many roleplayers probably take for granted, we do have confirmation that Silver is effective for monster slaying in Azeroth.
https://www.wowhead.com/quest=50173/precious-metals

I’ve looked through the list a couple of times, not finding Silver. I might be blind. If that’s the case, feel free to disregard this.

Guide is incomplete

It should mention Obsidian which is different from Obsidium
Obsidian is a volcanic rock and elemental enemies who are composed of this rock have a spell reflecting buff, about a 20% chance to reflect any magical effect cast on them.
this is almost universal for all enemies with obsidian in their name.
If this property of obsidian is a constant or if the 20% is game balance, I cannot say.

Isn’t that just the case for the Drust/witches, though? Further, I think the properties of Silver in WoW aren’t likely to be too different from the same metal in the real world, since I’m not aware of any quest text or otherwise giving it different properties beyond killing witches well.

Cursory glances across Wowhead for enemies with obsidian in their name don’t give me any that have an ability specific to reflecting magical effects. Beyond that, the strict nature of the guide, as far as sourcing is concerned, means there’s no point taking in anything that’s not black on white, since game mechanics can oftentimes be just that, game mechanics.

2 Likes

Stealing this one from gamepedia’s article on Silver, but apparently there was this item handed out by the Argent Dawn.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Monster_Slayer%27s_Kit

1 Like

Yeah, but even then, it only says the knives are silvered, not in what way (or if) it actually does anything. Even if we go by mechanics, those same silver daggers only do physical.

1 Like

I too took a glance at wowhead but shockingly the website is not always as informed as you would expect
someone in the comment section of the “obsidian elemental” however complains about the reflecting spell effect
and if you bother locate the enemies in the game world they should have a constant effect which says they have a chance to reflect magic.

I think it is a worthwhile mention in the guide because I noticed a lot of obsidian enemies share that exact effect leading to the theory that the volcanic rock have some spell resisting properties.
enemies from the burning steppes to AQ have or had at some point this effect (it may have been removed in a patch, I haven’t exactly looked in recent time)
and to my knowledge it is not written in any quest or book that obsidian have any anti magical powers, but the “environmental” story telling says they do.

So then there’s no hard lore to prove it one way or another. As for the AQ enemies, they’re specifically labelled nullifiers because they used to drain mana from casters in the raid, casting a raidwipe spell when their mana bar filled up.

1 Like

Afaik true*silver does seem to have at least some monster slaying capabilities-Specifically worgen. This is demonstrated quite well in Northrend in the arugal questline where a single silver bullet is enough to kill a worgen.

Edit: Aha, nvm.

Correct there is no written down lore, but it is a trend that seems to be consistent in those enemies, so the lore about obsidian having anti magic powers is all but “hard lore” confirmed.

Still it should beg some interest that they all in one way or another share some kind of anti magic property, at least it gives credit to the theory that the rock can interfere with magic in some way. So lets not dismiss it entirely.

to be fair, a single bullet no matter the material can kill a lot of things.

True it might have been that he just hit him between the eyes or in the heart- That could be the case. But we know that she specifically mentions truesilver use, therefore one can deduct that it is especially deadly to worgen (just as Wolfsbane is).

A fair assessment, if nothing else it adds to the theory true silver is in some way more potent against the worgen curse.

it could however also be a false belief and blizzard playing to the old werewolf legends with a human who mistakenly believe silver will do more than lead.
either could be true.

Then it’s material for the headcanon thread, not a black-on-white guide to Metals and Minerals.

1 Like

This yeah. Just like earlier, maybe Sasha just was as good a shot as she claimed and actually got the worgen between the eyes with the truesilver bullet- In which case a regular one would have probably done the job just fine too. Maybe not. We’ll never know.

What is however certain that this character in the lore specifically uses truesilver bullets to kill worgen- Despite claiming to be such a good shot. So clearly there is some advantage over normal bullets. That or she could be delusional, but if we take that approach we may as well throw most subjective sources from NPC’s/books as being subjective too.

But just because Truesilver works well against Worgen doesn’t mean it works well against all monsters. We can’t deduct any hard data from that.

2 Likes

Hey fellas, sorry for being quiet on this front. My aging PC isn’t co-operating with me much these days and I’m waiting for my new PC parts to arrive since early last month that have since been delayed to late(?) January.

I appreciate the discourse here, though Koiffen is right - I try to only add tangible sources in the guide. If you find more about Obsidian reflecting magic, hit me up here. I’ll try to add some more of the ores mentioned earlier in the comments.

5 Likes

A very nice and useful guide still, to this day.

This guide should’ve been pinned to the top of the forum.

1 Like

Huh, is there nothing on Arcanite?

Also, pin this. Pin it.

Pin it now.

Do it.