Guild index - gauging interest

edit: An all-guilds index has been set up here:

I’m wondering if there is any interest in a thread that has an index of all (RP?) guilds on this realm, those who want to be listed anyhow (guilds who want to be listed should post in it, and they’ll be added to the index)

There used to be one for Darkmoon Faire, I took over it’s maintenance for a while, and people liked having a comprehensive list of available guilds, and where they could find more about them (website, or ingame contacts).

Is there interest in such a list?
If so: RP guilds only, or all guilds?
let me hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

Generally such an Index is a pretty good idea for people who just wanna see if a concept they are planning already exists, or want to find a guild that suits their needs. So yeah, I’d say go for it.

I’d keep it to RP guilds only - and I’d include “We are not a concept guild, just a bunch of roleplayers who banded together, so the guild doesn’t actually exist in RP terms” guilds in that list, instead of just making it a “concept guilds only” one.

Having guilds of people who aren’t interested in roleplay in the Index would kinda defeat the purpose, I feel. As a roleplayer I wouldn’t want to look at a list of guilds and have to figure out if they are an RP guild or not first, I’d want the list to be only RP guilds, since that’s what I’m most likely interested in. Likewise, if I’m looking for a raid guild I probably wouldn’t want to have to sift through lots of silly RP guilds, just to find what I’m looking for.

Maybe two lists, one for RP guilds, one for raid guilds and the like… but honestly, I don’t see a point for a roleplayer to maintain such a list. If raiders want a list, let them make one.

/edit: That’s not to say that I’d exclude roleplaying guilds who also raid from the list, purely speaking about completely OOC raid guilds here.

1 Like

I appreciate your input, thank you!

I did lean towards an RP guilds only list, but wasn’t sure yet. And reading your response I agree. As a RPer myself I don’t think I should devote my time to sort out a index of non-RP guilds, as keeping an RP guilds only list up to date will be enough.

I mean to make a list that includes all guilds that call themselves RP guilds, whether they are concept guilds or ‘random rpers banded together’. Maybe allow each guild to make a distinction between heavy RP guild, casual, or simply ‘RP guild’ withoutspecifying between heavy or casual RP.

Edit: after further feedback from others, I’ll try to make the list to include all guilds and not just rp guilds. So this comment is a bit outdated now.

1 Like

I’m for an index that lists all guilds. We aren’t a Roleplayer-only server. This is a forum for all players of the realm. We should list all guilds. No gate keeping required.

1 Like

Yes please. I’d really like to see this. I remember we had something similar on my old realm forums, back in those ancient, forgotten days of yore when I used to play retail. It really helped me in finding the right guild.

1 Like

I second a list of all guilds, that would be very useful :blush:

1 Like

It’s not about gate keeping, but rather me dedicating my not limitless free time to maintaining such a list.

I’m not sure if there will be a Classic Armory where we will be able to look up guilds too, but I do remember when I maintained the original list I would go through the armory for every guild once a month to check if a guild still was active or not, since a list full of inactive guilds is useless. And that took up quite a bit of time.
So if I were to make such a list again and plan on checking on activity, I’d make it more realistic for myself to say “okay, rp guilds only for the list that I will maintain otherwise it just consumes too much of my time.”.

Then again, if there will be no armory for classic where guild activity could be checked (I’ve honestly got no idea what is or isn’t planned) , then it’d certainly be less work.
Or I’d simply not check regardless and people can report in the thread “hey guild X is inactive/disbanded” and I’d edit accordingly.

This is me just thinking out loud by the way, trying to make up my fickle mind.

Edit: And I appreciate everybody weighing in here, thanks for the responses!

Edit 2:
The forum functionality might be against me in trying to make this by the way.
I was thinking for each letter of the alphabet a post and then add the guilds in it, with the first post a list and link to each letter-post. That would mean at least 27 subsequent posts.
But right now when I try to post after my own reply, it tells me to wait for others to respond… Anybody happen to know what the timer on that would be? If there even is a timer for it.

1 Like

Would it be worth hosting the list elsewhere and having a (hopefully) stickied forum post that links to the guild list?

If it was a Google doc or something, then you could have a few people with editing rights, meaning you wouldn’t need to do all the work yourself. You’d also be able to format it better than in the forums, I’d imagine.

1 Like

I have very little knowledge on such things, worth looking into though.

You might be able to circumvent that by switching characters, not sure. But the forum tends to treat characters as different posters.

If that’s the case it might work to just switch between two chars.

1 Like

Yeah, and it’s really, really, really bloody annoying.

I don’t think there is a timer, I think it’s just hard locked to stop you from posting more than one reply to a thread, and only unlocked by someone else posting under you.

Only thing I can think of is restricting the list to one page, and then just using the edit function whenever new information needs to be added.

1 Like

Switching character seems to circumvent it though.

1 Like

That’s grand! Thanks for the solution for that. That makes the endavour doable on this forum.

Maybe it would also help to have one rather active contact person from each guild, that the guild can decide on by all means, that you can hit up quickly and regularly on that, for an update on the guild status? I imagine that could be easier than checking externally whether the guilds are still active all the time.

1 Like

I plan on asking each guild to list their leader and officers, but I think I’ll put the burden of checking for inactive guilds on the guilds themselves and the community (by posting here if they’re disbanding or having gone inactive).
Without an armory it’s not viable for me to check every guild, since I’m expecting the list to grow lengthy (especially if it’s going to be all type of guilds)

Just checking the theory of switching characters unlocking the thread. <Thalei’s (retired) retail main>

Yup, that definitely works. And I can reply to that again. Sweet stuff.

2 Likes

At this point thank you very much from me too that you want to do this for us!

1 Like

I’ve set it up here:

I’m really hoping the anti-spam measures from Blizz don’t end up breaking it because it sure threw me plenty of curveballs while I was trying to set it up.
We’ll see how it goes for now.

Yeah, the new forum is designed rather… poorly. Lots of things in it that make little sense. For example, did you know that there’s a limited number of likes you can use per day? If you reach that number you can’t like posts anymore - which makes no sense to me, considering likes serve absolutely no purpose beyond making the people receiving them potentially feel validated. They don’t make a post more visible, they don’t highlight it in any way, they’re just a number.

And here’s the kicker - you can totally reset that number by switching characters, since characters are treated as their own account, more or less. So it makes zero sense. Why restrict it in the first place, if you can avoid that restriction so easily?

Same thing with reports. You can report four or five posts, then you’ll have to wait 20 hours before you can report more. They added that because a large amount of reports received now closes a thread for 24h…

And now guess which restriction you can also circumvent by switching characters. Yeah. We had “Please give us german RP Servers” threads closed repeatedly because of that, back in the German forums, because some members of the “community” went and reported posts en masse. Went so far that our CM had to create a thread himself, just so it couldn’t get closed by the players anymore.

/edit: Oh, and in regards to the likes - you can totally like your own posts, with other characters of yours as well. So if you have, say, 50 characters on your account, you can totally like your post 49 times, no problem.

1 Like