[H-RP] The Moonlight Melody - The Song Continues

Hello, Melody

I am perplexed, so I thought the best source for answers would be here.

The question itself is quite simple - what on earth happened?
I am genuinely confused and flabbergasted. Our two guilds had interaction, but then all of a sudden you shut down our joint Discord and seemingly cut all ties to us. I was looking quite forward to some interesting cross-faction cooperation when I joined the Handmaidens back then, but then out of nowhere, you vanish. No answers. No reasons.

I can understand some OOC drama has been going down. Be that as it may. But I cannot help but get the feeling this has been spilling into IC as well. The Handmaidens have been nothing of not open to you on that basis, but now I hear that the Melody rejects the Kaldorei to justify their faith? Because you are not Kaldorei lovers? Because you hate the Kaldorei more than demons?

I heard this from a friend and I wish not to put words in your mouth. But regardless of its authenticity I would still love a straight answer as to why we all of a sudden find ourselves at odd. I have been with the Handemaidens for a fair while now, and it is my distinct impression that no one here has ever wished for adversity or conflict. Yet now you openly support the Horde? You claim to steal moonwell water from our temple even though it was very well guarded?

Why this conflict? Why this hate?

Sincerely,
A very confused Handmaiden.

To be entirely honest, I am not sure what happened either - one of our officers seem to have ghosted on us, leaving without saying a single word, just to join the HoE. When we arrived to your temple not long ago, HoEs seem to be more than happy to kill us all (who were mostly unarmed) if it was not for neutral agent aiding in diplomacy. But that’s just what I heard or have seen, I might be very well wrong.

The Melody has been inactive for significant time due to lack of direction. When the joint discord was shut down it was due to no communication from your officers after we tried to speak with you about getting rp going and us honestly considering disbanding. After our haitus ended I decided ti make the melody pro horde as we thoughts the cross faction stuff wasnt really going well.

From what I understand you took one of our members after they quit and ICly claimed you rescued them from our cruelty which we choose to keep as IC but we have no clue of these so called events.

We moved forward after deciding to continue, and Horde rp made the most IC sense.

I do not wish to have a forum argument I can be contacted on discord for further discussion, however the hate kaldorei more than demons commemts was a discord off the cuff remark I will not be held to that as an accurate statement of Erenas ic opinions

Edit:

For some clarification on the IC stance since I notice some of my discord tomfoolery was used in the argument.

The Melody has never endorsed Tyrande as High Priestess, this was the case even before the horde loyalty under Erenas leadership. She is after all the reason the Kaldorei and Shal’dorei arent allies.

Of course we do not hate Daemons more than Kaldorei, even most orcs would find that stance ridiculous. Our recent dislike of the Kaldorei comes from the lorewise scorn that the race has given ours, as well as Erenas own already existing IC biases

The Melody see the Night Warrior ritual as abhorrent, in their mind it has corrupted the Kaldorei and driven them to mindless rage.

I hope this clears up what it can. I’ve already spoken to one of your officers about the state of things and I’m happy to continue to answer questions.

7 Likes

Why would a worshipper of elune be against the night warrior though?
The night warrior is just a different side of Elune. Two sides of the same coin if you will. It may have been a forsaken ritual since it kills everyone that tries to repeat the ritual (until tyrande) but I find it odd how your guild can find the night warrior “abhorrent” and the ritual itself as “corruptive” since presumably it’s still elune blessing the kaldorei. Just a different side of her/it.

Because from the Horde’s perspective these freedom fighters are monsters that act like savages. Look at Malfurion in the cinematic, we understand from an OOC standpoint that they’re justified in their protection of their homeland, but those horde soldiers suffered horrific fates.

(Yes Malf isnt a night warrior elf but hes the closest thing to go by)

The Melody have the hordes perspective of the conflict. We do not know everything IC and to be blunt we are wrong IC, Tyrande is obviously the high priestess lorewise.

But its the misguided ideology that makes part of our RP interesting, it forces us to face up to reality and what we percieve it to be. We could be know it alls IC and speak the pure truth, but thats not how religions work, looks at the endless variants of christianity for example

4 Likes

I’ve interpretated it the following way: Jealousy.

How else would a group of worshippers cope and digest the fact that the godess they follow grant their enemies powers in a exclusive basis? They brand it as corruption, and strips all agenciality from Elune itself.

If not, their legitimacy on the subject would be screwed.

OOC we know much more of what happens in the overall world than our characters, and not necesarily share their same interests. IC, our characters, just like anybody else try to cling desperatelly on what they believe in any way possible that makes sense to them.

5 Likes

For example, Naryu believes in balance between elune’s traits - and what she has seen of kaldorei, was that their balance is tilted to Night Warrior, to point they lost any sense of mercy and only seek vengeance without considering their own future.

Hence why she would not fight against them as she feels with their cause, but in her people’s best interest, she aids horde in the most harmless way she can.

So she perhaps is not against Night Warrior, she still believes unhealthy dwelling in that trait can only bring more pain.

1 Like

How does the Moonlight Melody look upon the ancient Kaldorei empire then, since it was carved through the power of the night Warriors? Do they see the empire their entire culture is based on as abhorrent too? And how do they look on modern day Suramarian culture?

They see it as something that was used long ago but eventually become too hard to control. They understand its power through the legends but find their own reality of it currently to be terrifying. Think of how Kaldorei look back at their days of Arcane usage.

They grew up in Suramar and have adapted to it, they understand their faith isnt as mainstream as it used to be, which is saddening considering the cities history as the centre of worship. But they are still culturally Suramarian for better or worse.

2 Likes

This one is the one that makes most sense to me. Basically jealousy and refusal to accept a bitter truth is what I can imagine happening.
Thank you all for the clarification though!

Aslo, regarding the idea of the Kaldorei Empire being forged on the shoulders of the Moon Warriors… I suppose at this point, went through the transition of history becoming myths, and then becoming legends.

I suppose if you asked a Roman Citizen about his glorious empire being founded by two brothers being breastfed by a shewolf, there would be certain conflicted feelings, peppered with pride and certain dismissal. I think it’s an analogy we could transfer to this situation.

More than what could be considered myths and legends, most of us emphatize what are living facts and ‘‘recent’’ (for a nightborne) politics. The fact that Tyrande was born in Suramar, she was a citizen of Suramar, and joined a society that hates and fear the Highborne/Shal’dorei.

No matter how right Tyrande might be, that will always take all credit from her in the eyes of many Nightborne. It will be a betrayal hard to remove, a wound herself seems more than willing to keep wide open.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it seems that knowledge was not forgotten by the night elves, so why would it be forgotten by the Shal’dorei, who are more in tune with their ancient Imperial days then the Darnassian night elves.

Then again, the fact the Night Warriors returned, means the Shal’dorei should now also know it’s not myths or legends anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

But like Glaedr said:

So I got the answers I was curious about!

I’m starting to think these questions aren’t in good faith. You’re clearly quote mining as you’ve not even acknowledged mine or Naryu’s response to the question and instead chosen to focus on the remark of one member who said partly what you already assumed was the case.

The Melody are not Jealous of the Kaldorei, they are a group of people stuck in the past. Their ideology is simply the result of being away from the world for ten thousand years and doing their best to cope with what they have.

When the guild was formed it was a collective of mender characters that recently left another group and were looking to continue their RP. There was no jealous undertones towards the Kaldorei in mind, in fact they were barely even thought about until the guild did a few diplomatic events.

3 Likes

I do hate to have to comment on this. Especially as this is no longer my guild. - Nor am I really involved with WoW at the current time. But I will state this.

The Melody wasn’t formed to re-establish a bond with the Kaldorei. - Ally. It was formed as a safe haven for those who wished to practice the faith of Elune within the Shal’dorei society. - A niche area of RP not commonly seen in the Shal’dorei community.

In the past there was wonderful interactions with the Kaldorei and they were enjoyable experiences. - But, from the start, many of the members were not fond of the Kaldorei and their ways. It is not in my control which direction the guild goes with it’s allies nor it’s enemies, so to say. But, the MM are free to go along the path that suits their current members and ideologies. - There may be a shift in that in the future, there may not. But alike real life, ways and opinions change. - Such is a natural shift in life.

Now I will take my leave again, as I am now taking my time to focus on IRL than RP and whatever OOC matters the forums and AD desire to have. I truly wish you -all- have a lovely day.

From the old, now retired ‘moon pope’. - Zarival Songstrand.

6 Likes

Whoa, calm down there.

I have no ill will towards you or your guild, I simply don’t remark someone else’s response (like Glaedr) has put my thoughts into texts way better then I ever could, me agreeing with him was also meant for you guys that I understood.

Perhaps I’m being too defensive. But yes as Zari said, the Melody has simple moved on from its earlier days into a form that the members decided was best.

I disagree on the assertion the members are jealous, that has never been what the guild has been about. But I cannot force you to agree with me so I won’t try.

Whitout wanting to ‘‘betray’’ my Lunarpal here. I believe she’s seeing danger where’s none. The purpose of dialogue and debate it’s made not only to clarify concepts and ideas to other people, but most importantly to yourself.

I was away from WoW when the Darkshore patch was released, and missed how they pulled the whole Night Warrior Mcguffin off a magician hat just like that, turning Tyrande into an Avatar of Khaine. And now, thanks preciselly to Mithralles questions, I can check and go deeper on something I am not as clear as I would like to.

This dude is sharpening my lore, and I’m grateful for it.

Now, back to the debate:

Why would Nightborne conveniently miss or forget certain aspects of their culture? For the same reason we do. Politics. There are many things that are chosen to be not so spoke of, or left conveniently aside, and after enough time, they end up being conveniently forgotten, or even facts end up being changed. In a society literally living under a bubble, breastfed by the same tyrant for ten milleniae, it’s not hard to imagine it occured.

Now, this doesn’t go beyond mere supposition, and no written proof of what I said stands. It is up to the beholder to consider how much sense it makes. But I decide to play along this concept since we’re not meant to RP our characters as they knew everything at everytime. You can RP also a character who has his facts wrong, who has been misguided by his faith, his society, his interests or his emotions.

So, why the Nightborne should admit that the Kaldorei are right, and they’re wrong?

‘‘Because it’s true’’, someone would say.

Well, truth was never something really important in politics, I’m afraid…

Hell, most of the characters in most of the points are meant to be like this, formed and forged by the own precepts and general belief of his people, place and time, regardless what’s actually right or wrong, truth or false.

And if you ask me: There’s nothing more entertaining to RP a character when you know how far from reality his most intimal beliefs are.

2 Likes

Ah, but that’s how Mithralles sees it IC, and how he explains the sudden turn to the Horde. “Pft, they probably went full Horde because they where jealous of our power”.

Ofcourse I realise that OOC the choice is better for your guild and that it makes sense IC for your characters to be closer to your own kin.

But IC we can’t really talk about it, since we’re enemies now :wink:

Eh, makes sense and it’s things we have seen in both WarCraft and the RL. We’ve seen it with the blood elves forgetting night elves existed (while some blood elves parents where night elven exiles!).

Agreed, all my characters have flaws like that too, gaps in their knowledge they fill up with what they think is the truth :wink:

1 Like

Tonight the Melody finally managed to get back to their regular business, and decided to take the time to play some Saber-Sports outside the city gates of Silvermoon.

Later they returned to the city where Erena briefed them of a strange entity being reported in the Suramar catacombs, perhaps when they return some ghost-bustin’ is in order?

3 Likes

I ain’t 'fraid of no ghost, that thing is as good as busted when i get my hands on it. Wait, that came out wrong.

2 Likes