Hardcore servers lag [20/09]

Use some common sense then. I logged in on my hunter, saw that there was lag. Decided i didn’t want to risk it and logged off to play a low level alt

I’m still alive. It wasn’t difficult

Interestingly, my game was super smooth and my ping was low the whole morning. Until I just had a dc and could not login for 30min. There was not one single indicator for problems for many I guess.

So why does it specifically mention lag and server outages?

There is an answer in this thread!

They usually do but I don’t know why there was no message, at least I don’t remember seeing on on the launcher.

That’s what I did with my shaman.

Many people had issue from one second to another. They didn’t even had a chance to quit the game.

1 Like

It said in the terms server outages, so major or minor doesn’t matter. You agree so char should stay gone. Can’t be going back to hc but I appeal my death because reasons

I’m not sure if you realised or not, but first lag spike that happened, which killed most people, happened without any warnings/issues. Game was running fine and in one moment, death log was full.
Deaths after that one sure, but first wave is what killed most people.

2 Likes

I am just commenting that these types of problems may need a better response than "deal with it " to keep most of the players playing HC. You may be fine with losing a character to this occasionally, most people are not. As I found this game mode promising and think this will happen multiple times more, I am just stating that people will not just “cope with it” because they pressed a button in a game once. Of course, you have no legal rights or anything but that does not mean it is not an issue if you lose players for a promising game mode.

1 Like

If they are not ignoring the problem, they should have taken the servers down when the problem was first identified. Or at least there should be a well visible warning message that server lag can happen at any moment.

Its actually hilarious that you guys think ANYBODY cares right now. Its weekend, they are all at home swinging their weeners like a helicopter, they will take another look on monday, maybe restart and call it a day.

you guys playing right now killing your characters, thats the real show here.

But not all the players were affected so why punish the other players?

That should be something you take into account at all times. The problem is that most players don’t treat it like you have one life and take risks, like you would on Era, usually with their first characters.

The lack of empathy and the willingness, eagerness to support the developer who is clearly in the wrong here from some people is so confusing.
Some of the things said here would suggest there is a group of people who would defend a developer purposefully deleting hc characters on a whim. You all did agree to the tos before creating a character after all.

3 Likes

You dont get it. People who “defend” the Developer in your eyes do quite the opposite. We have NO expectations from Blizzard at this point. The company is dead, its corpse being sold to Microsoft, everything you play and pay right now from this Company is your own fault and disrespect to your time. However, having such a situation RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU and STILL playing and STILL dying and investing your feelings into being upset is just pathetic.

I play Hardcore Classic too. But I dont play when the servers lag, I play something else. Theres a million videogames out there and even better MMORPGs (FF14) so just move on, play something else, stop being so upset about it! its an addiction you need to fix.

some people were literally in middle of combat when that happened.

Im literally baffled how many edited by moderation players are here, just because we agreed to something doesnt mean when it happened en mass it still ok, just because Blizzard put something there in agreement we can’t decided its bad after experiencing some extreme case of problem

2 Likes

Lag and server-crashes are one thing, but in this case it was neither of them. You increased the back-end server capacity, probably added more Kubernetes nodes: more world servers, more layers, all really nice improvements… and then y’all forgot to check if your load balancer can actually handle it… So what happened is the load balancer’s incoming message queue overflowed and deadlocked, while ever more packets were still being sent at the load balancer. Meanwhile the world servers don’t see anything is wrong, because WoW is designed to not have any connection keep-alive mechanisms. A character can stay logged in forever and during the entire time not send a single opcode and the session will remain valid (in theory. in practice AFK detection that happens serverside will terminate the connection eventually). This means that all of the world servers suddenly stopped receiving opcodes for movement, spells, all the nice things that they’re normally supposed to process.
But the servers didn’t have any outage, only the loadbalancer that handles incoming packets/opcodes, which means the servers didn’t see anything wrong at all with all player inputs suddenly stopping and just kept calculating whatever they were already calculating anyway (NPC pathing, NPC combat, Character Breath, etc.) and kept sending updates about these to the clients, the outgoing message queue was unaffected after all.
So everyone who was in combat or in the path of a hostile NPC got to watch their characters die without being able to do anything.

If it was simple networking issues, that’s just bad luck. If it was a world-server crash, then combat processing would’ve stopped and character state would’ve been saved (tho probably leaving a lot of players in deadly situations for when they log in again). But when the load balancer fails, that is not something that players can expect, and it’s almost definitely caused by the infrastructure upgrade, having been done with poor planning.

My character didn’t die, so I don’t have a valid opinion about whether rollbacks should be done or not, but what definitely should be done is Blizzard getting their infrastructure under control. This was not some mishap outside of Blizzard’s control. This was misconfigured software

Suggestion for the future: Improve your health checks for your load balancer and implement a STONITH fence for it and the world servers.

5 Likes

I believe some of these profiles are actually trolls or bots as I seen some of them like Dottie for example, always defending but it goes beyond simping or shill, always showing up when heat gets up about something and using some interesting troll tactics to get heat of off Blizz. Like for example when people started raging about number of bots in PvP it became unplayable, topic was heated and Dottie was going from post to post with arguments like: There is no point to write Blizz not looking forums or dont write it is not useful they will do nothing and similar to that. Now that looks like not defending but actually is discouraging people to write and raise heat about subject.

i flagged every single post in this thread from Dottie and Maria

2 Likes

I ignored them, Dottie from before but somehow I managed to see it in action again :slight_smile:

Life is inherently subjective. You are calling my relationship to the game an addiction, but this is only your assumption based on two forum posts.
It’s great that you have the opportunity and time to play other things while the WoW servers are in such a state, but keep in mind there could be people who only have the time and/or motive to play WoW specifically, specifically during this period of time.

NOBODY who plays World of Warcraft lacks free time, ESPECIALLY not those playing Hardcore. Hardcore is a direct disrespect to your free time, as a multitude of things can take away all the hours you put in. Nobody who has limited free time would make such a poor life choice.

You definitely have the time to play something else. But WoW has this very unique community, this aging folks in their 30s and 40s and up, not able to let go.

1 Like

Very nice from you to do a professional and systematic analysis of the technicalities regarding this problem completely free of charge. I wonder if Blizzard has developers and troubleshooting staff who are as competent as you, because if not, they should definitely consider recruiting you.