Has World of Warcraft become Pay2Win?

However, not supported, nonetheless tolerated, by Blizzard.

You can pay for 10 accounts and multibox, and then you get an advantage, because you paid to Blizzard some money.

You can buy wow tokens and pay various kind of boosting services provided by other players, and you gain an advantage, because you paid some money to Blizzard for these wow tokens.

/discuss

21 Likes

Gear wise its definitely pay 2 win but only at like the highest level.

5 Likes

No its not. If paying for multiple accounts and multiboxing is called being a scumbag and i believe its agains the tos.

You literally buy gear from other players who dont need or want it. How is that paytowin? Other people have to earn it first

1 Like

Yes, because you can buy and trade WoW tokens for gold to get some of the best gear from the AH.

1 Like

And how exatly makes that you to “win”?
Gear and such still can’t and won’t repalce skill and experience… or class-knowledge

5 Likes

It could be because the buyer would otherwise never see that gear drop as a result of their own efforts.

It is true that the gear is unwanted (not necessarily unneeded) but because of an opportunity cost analysis Player X chooses to sell it on the AH to Player Y. The gold in that instance is worth more to them than the effort put in to get that BoE and alternatively they are able to farm the raid with people who can carry the deadweight of a few extra players and split those profits accordingly.

1 Like

What? “earn it first”? People are just buying BoE corruption prices for high amounts of “gold”.

its got to the point at the top of PvP a lot of players have like 5 gushing wounds, of which most of them are BoEs.

1 Like

No it hasn’t.

Alright, discussion done.

PS: I do think multiboxing should be a bannable offense though.

2 Likes

Of course.

I mean, if you had enough money, you could outright buy the company/game and “win” however you like.

On a more serious tone, the game has increasingly been rewarding spending and made it far more accessible.

I’m not a huge fan, I already pay for the expansion and sub time, one would hope that is enough to keep such transactions at bay but few titles nowadays can resist it seems.

1 Like

It starts feeling like it, at least I think RNG isn’t totally random as some things just don’t go for bad luck anymore.

Yet it makes things a lot easier to have best in slot items and all, like trinkets with good procs and the right stats (haste, mastery, crit) for your class/spec. I can’t say on level of a really competitive player however, as I’m really just a casual who wants to improve.

In old expansion you could simply buy gold from illegal gold seller and buy a boost.

So i don’t see how it is any different.

Simply the gold source changed from illegal to legal.

2 Likes

Players who are SELLING the gear have to earn it first. You cant just open the shop and buy gear from blizz. Someone obtained the gear first.

And in my eyes paytowin is being able to buy power thats unobtainable by normal means (or if like starwars it would take way to long to get). It does suck for people with little time who cant afford to buy gear, but no point screwing over the people with no time but who can buy geat too

1 Like

Well that has been in game since Vanilla therefore you could argue that WoW has always been Pay2Win.

As for the whole token thing all it did was move gold from those who had/have lots of gold to those who don’t in a controlled and certified manner. The ability to move lots of gold around has always been in game therefore again arguably WoW has always been P2W.

So, no, by your arguments WoW hasn’t become Pay2Win as it was Pay2Win from the very beginning.

1 Like

One is MTX and the other is illegal in game terms and should have resulted in a ban, rendering any effort you put into your account pointless because of your actions.

Easier yes, maybe (no amount of corruption and 475 gear would make me win against someone who is in the upper crust, i know myself :smiley: ) but hardly a ‘Win’ :slight_smile:

I think this indeed fits the definition of Pay2Win OP, albeit it is a different definition than the traditional one.

You pay, you acquire gear, you acquire achievements, you acquire boosts through content that earns you boss kills or pvp rating, and these are all displayed on your account.

In essence, you effectively pay to complete that WoW content, on paper.

The fact that those who pay aren’t able to replicate their “success” without monetary/gold transactions or without multiboxing is indeed beside the point. The Owner Post can objectively prove their hypothesis true, for the most part.

^ that’s the point that I believe is the most controversial. Where would that advantage be felt? I think it would, surely, perhaps in 1v1s in a patch like 8.3 where corruption is responsible for most pvp damage. But when the prepatch 9.0 hits, and the ilvl difference falls to 20 ilvls, not 100? … :smiley:

Alternatively, where could these achievements/feats of strength matter? People use checker sites to “determine” if one has been boosted or not. To avoid taking on deadweight that’s trying to mask itself as a competent player. Again: the advantage is nullified.

So in the end I don’t really think it matters that much in the ‘real world of warcraft’, outside a guy sporting a mount and a title, with which potentially come bragging rights.

But as long as you do not know the story behind those titles/mounts, then one could reserve skepticism.

In truth, this boost culture mostly serves to diminish the prestige of the services they offer.

1 Like

WoW is pay to win.

It is a pay to play game.

No pay, no play.

No play, no win.

5 Likes

Why ? Because paying multiple accounts gives that particular player an unfair advantage ?.. Because that multiboxer kinda… paid… to win ?

Yes.

No. In my opinion it’s cheating. And that should not be allowed.

1 Like

“Easier to win” :wink: