Has World of Warcraft become Pay2Win?

Advantage in what exactly? Does it make you a better player? Does it make you smash Mythic raids? Does it make you smash arenas? Does it make you good at your class? What happened to playing a game for fun? Why does it bother you so much that a few people buy boosts? Does it affect you? No, it doesn’t.

3 Likes

I never relized you can ‘win’ in WoW tho’ :eyes:

1 Like

Would you complain about it if, instead of a multiboxer, it was a team of 10 players who were very coordinated ?
Let’s get faster in our discussion, I think you’ll answer something like : “no, because the coordination, instead of being managed by some 3rd party program, is something they have to communicate and something they had to work for.”
And… I think I would agree.

So, that would give us something like “multiboxing should be against the ToS because it uses 3rd party program to control your character”.

And that’s probably where it gets very confusing, I guess. Because, multiboxers don’t really use Bots. Their 3rd party program replicate commands they engaged themselves. So it’s really not like a bot, where the 3rd party program decides by itself what to do.

That’s probably the nuance which explains why Blizzard officially allows multiboxing.

If two players with similar skill in an equal spec, and one spends gold (bought with tokens) in the auction house buying BiS BoE’s while the other has to farm and hope for RNG because they can’t afford the ridiculous prices and the first tops the meters by a high margin then it’s pay to win.

3 Likes

Meh well then in this case, WoW matches. Gushing wounds is what, 1/52 chance of getting it? So any normal player will never get 5 statistically so they are buying them or paying for mythic boosts/giveaways. i guess its slightly different in concept to the f2p p2w games, but they are acquiring gear that a reasonable person will not get and it gives them a significant advantage (GW does like 25% of their damage in a pvp environment…)

Take a shooter game.
Star Wars: Battlefront 2 from EA.

You CAN do several days of grind to get some proper weaponry and what not.

But you can also cash out and buy the best weaponry and gear!

We define this… as pay to win. Even if the player may be bad, it is still pay to win in this case… or what? Is it not?

Take WoW.

You CAN do the grind, pray to the RNG gods and hope to get some good corruption gear.

OR! You can buy the best corruption gear on the AH immediately. What is that, you do not have enough gold? Do not worry silly boi… just buy a wow token for real money and then sell that for gold!

Blizzard circumvents the direct payment for gold… but it is buying gold at the end of the day, and with that gold the player can get the best gear.

Even in a shooter, you could say that skill and experience will not be replaced by better weapons “gear”. But clearly that is quite irrelevant when we define pay 2 win… or is it?

Now that we have a proper set up of the situation WoW finds itself in right now, and a comparison.

Yes… Star Wars: Battlefront 2 was changed drastically after huge uproar from it’s fanbase… but I still use the initially intended system as an example because it is what we generally define as pay 2 win.

Buying 100k worth of tokens and spending it on your bis corruptions won’t make you be able to suddenly get 12/12 if you’re still garbage at the game.

2 Likes

Citing having a subscription as P2W is stretching the definition beyond it’s meaning.

The term P2W now seems to be opinion and a lot of people don’t recognise it’s original definition as being the ability to pay real cash for items that can’t be gained through normal gameplay.

Using that definition the only P2W aspect of WoW is a few cosmetic pets and mounts which don’t really win you anything.

Every time I see one of these threads I see a sore loser who’s just jealous because they can’t afford to buy what they want.

My response is ‘So what, I don’t really care’. Players buying stuff from other players doesn’t affect my game in the slightest.

1 Like

It’s original definition is being able to pay real money to allow you to gain any form of advantage. That is regardless of whether you can obtain the same thing through normal gameplay or not, if you can pay your way to an advantage with real money, then it is pay to win as per the original definition.

5 Likes

The BoE situation with best corruptions is about the only part where I can see it’s become the closest to pay to win. You can acquire gold and directly buy your very best corruptions direct from the AH or another player.

I do not consider buying a boost through content paying to win. Depending on what the boost is for you get a mount, maybe some gear, there is no guarantee what that loot will be or if it’s any good for you. Not everyone buys tokens either, some are just very good with gold, playing the AH, farming it in game etc. The token allows someone to play for free with their sub cost being passed on to the gold buyer at a premium.

I’m not sure how multiboxers are pay to win.

3 Likes

This is also the only thing I really see as pay to win.

And it is also something I expect not to be continueing in Shadowlands… because corruption gear is not existing in Shadowlands… atleast not in the beginning.

1 Like

I honestly hope we never see a system as bad as corruption under any other name, ever again.

1 Like

Tell that to the people in random BG’s with 150k hp who get squished by the m+ boosted people in there 400k hp.All thx to the token and boosts in chat.

haha you are buying it from people who dont need it again lol…thats some lame justification m8

Honest question here. Firstly I don’t multibox (although I could because I have 2 accounts and I control my daughters too).

But - what would be the difference between me controlling 2 accounts at the same time and me and my daughter sitting next to each other doing the same content?

1 Like

Basically, a multiboxer is a single player who is paying multiple accounts to perform some activities with more efficiency.
For example, farming herbs.

Without these multiple accounts, they would not have this increased efficiency. So, compared to a player who do not multibox, they paid (multiple accounts) to get an advantage other players do not get.

I’m not even sure if I really stretch the definition of p2w with this logic.

No.

Cm’s you can close this thread now.

Multiboxing has existed in the game long before they changed nodes to be able to be harvested by multiple players. I don’t see how they are winning.

I would like to see multibox harvesting broken, this came about when they changed how nodes work. It’s just made it very hard to herb now, day and night there are flocks of druids in Nazjatar.

1 Like

I kinda tried to answer this one earlier. Basically saying that multiple players playing together require some level of communication and coordination, whereas this communication and coordination is managed by a 3rd party program for a multiboxer.

So, I can also ask another honest question.
What’s the difference between me playing the game, and me creating an artificial intelligence (a bot) that plays the game for me ?
Because, the first one (me playing the game) is ok, but the second (the bot playing the game) is against the ToS.
Though, creating the bot would have required tons of skill and playtime from me to begin with.

So, what’s the difference ?

You could then sell that “bot” programme (or advertising on it) and thus make real money from other people out of a game that isn’t your intellectual property?

What if I don’t ?
What if I do sell it to Blizzard, so they can use it to do automated tests on their game ?