Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Void Elf dark rangers… presumably underwent a similar experience as the Night Elf ones did, albeit later during the Fourth War. There were too few of them to ever really make a grand appearance during hostilities.

Void Elf dark rangers? Even though DR are meant to be dead/risen and they’ve stated death does not mix well with void, right?

It doesn’t? I remember voidromancy raising a devilsaur in Zandalar during the Alliance invasion.

Might have been a retcon, I recall something from Chronicles maybe saying the Void can’t corrupt dead beings.

Well, like I said in Zandalar the void elves are raising raptors and a devilsaur using void magic so :person_shrugging:

1 Like

They “raised” them by summoning a void entity to possess the bodies. One way or the other, the safe explanation is just game mechanics rather than them being literal undead void elves, much like in the way of high elves being playable via void elves.

4 Likes

Void Elf Dark Rangers are the same as Void Elf High Elves.

Different “species” under one umbrella race;
Void Elves can now be used to play a Darkfallen, High Elf and Void Elf.

You guys are overthinking it imo

3 Likes

Shadowmoon orcs did a lot of void necromancy in WoD.

Actually, that might’ve been around the time the old lore of undead being void immune went and died.

3 Likes

Or what Umbric did in BfA is an extension / in depth explanation of how the Shadowmoon did it.

I like this! It makes sense and echoes what my character has gone through in RP.

Lintian found her faith in Elune severely tested by the Burning of Teldrassil and its aftermath, and she wasn’t devoutly religious to begin with. Hearing of the Night Warrior ritual, she decided that Tyrande (whom she had never respected in the first place) must have betrayed Elune and corrupted the kaldorei religion’s tenets. One of the last few things she did before I quit WoW was preparing to embark on an expedition to uncover ancient, pre-Tyrande Elunite teachings from imperial times and before, in a desperate and probably doomed bid for validation.

1 Like

This is still considered an act of necromancy, as the new story chapter that released today defines necromancy as simply the act of animating unliving flesh and it’s independent of the magic used to accomplish it, though Death is the most common one. In BFA we see blood magic being used for it, in WoD we see both fel and void do it with the latter explicitly name dropped as necromancy in the Dungeon Journal for the Shadowmoon Burial Grounds.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/556162089111126026/981537287965900830/unknown.png

Necromancy is necromancy, regardless of the means you use to achieve it

2 Likes

With that in mind, my headcanon is that one could then argue that the life-prolonging magics practiced by some powerful mages is a form of necromancy, as it could be seen as animating that which should’ve long since perished had it not come into contact with the arcane.

This would of course be considered blasphemous amongst most faction-bound (cough Kirin Tor cough) sorcerers and scholars.

Interesting that you play it that way; I remember having a Kaldorei traditionalist who had similar leanings. I found a lack of material on pre-Tyrande rites and rituals. Did you ever find anything concrete, or was it just an angle for Lintian?

There may have been something in the War of the Ancients trilogy, which I haven’t read. It was just a possible plot hook that I almost certainly couldn’t have followed on without involving headcanon. And now it’s a moot point.

1 Like

They’re not different species.

A cat, a dog and a hedgehog are different species.

A house cat, a tiger and a lion are the same species.

The blood, void and high elves are like cats.

EDIT: in fact, there’s even less difference than that, two of them are house cats and the other’s a feral.

the high elf

Actually, for this analogy, it is the velf.

(Belves and Helves are basically the same thing, fite meh)

Could’ve used some incurable disease for the analogy but decided against it.

high elves are feral cats and you will never convince me otherwise

Nah, high elves are the mutty moggy the alliance picked up from the shelter so they could post on social media about the good deed they did.

Velves are self substaining and thrive on the feral nature.

And then belves are the pedigrees

I know they aren’t different species, I just couldn’t remeber the correct word for it in english hence the " before and after it

1 Like