Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Some unfortunate Dracthyr, indulging their curiosity, have been attacked flying over the Twilight Highlands and Aerie Peak. Mistaken for an ancient enemy at a distance, they have created scandal both in Stormwind and panic in the homes of Wildhammer Dwarves respectively.

3 Likes

I wonder if dracthyr were/are going to be attacked by the Dragonmaw orcs too in attempt to make another bunch of mounts… or simply because some of them resemble black dragons close enough.

Some of the more paranoid members of nobility, regardless of race, have started a practice of keeping their full birth names hidden, only going by a “public name” when in society. This is to ensure their political enemies can never know their true name, which, when revealed, would make them vulnerable to curses and spells that latch onto such intimate knowledge.

The massive loss of lives following the Scourging of Quel’Thalas wiped out many influential families that had been hoarding wealth and influence for ages. The few that survived have seen their power amplified beyond reason, checked only by the rise of a new aristocracy who were elevated for their efforts in securing the lost homeland.

Considerable friction exists between the new and old, the old families resenting the lowborn upstarts and the new loathing the idle excess of the old, figuring they at least earned their place fighting for the future! This creates a dynamic political scene and competing efforts to win favour by philanthopy.

It’s an open secret that rival families hire agents to plant evidence or simply nudging public attention to the unsavoury studies of certain individuals to swiftly see them exiled as ren’dorei sympathisers as the sweep against void priests and shadow users was less than thorough, in part due to these families bribing authorities. Your continued safety, guilty or not, hinges on who you know.

11 Likes

The Salamanda was a large sub species of Kodo, that used to be found in small numbers above ground. Unlike their thunderlizard cousins, another sub-species of kodo, the salamander was capable of breathing fire and had heat resistant skin, allowing it to habit near active volcanos. It is uncertain how the kodo strain mutated into the salamander, some suggest they were reuglar kodos who were trapped by mistake in the Firelands when the titans sealed the elementals away, and they have thus changed to suit the climate, others believe they may be a by-product of the elemental infusions similar to what created the primal incarnates, but on a far weaker scale.
Regardless of their origin, their numbers would dwindle, in part due to over hunting by Tauren, quilboar and centaur tribes, for their priced skin and back plates, with no where else to go, the firebreathing kodo retreated below ground into the deep underground.
Curiously a population of salamanders used to infest the lower levels of Blackrock mountains dark iron mines, where dark iron dwarves would hunt them for their priced fire resistant and though hide, as well as their organs, specifically the special glend that premits them to breath fire.

In modern times, of the year 40, Salamanders are believed to have gone extinct, although once in a while a dark iron miner will tell stories about a large red lizard deep underground.

4 Likes

The Dracthyr ability to eat practically anything without even cooking it first translates to their visage form.

It’s just fun that way.

6 Likes

The peculiar torii gate structures dotting kaldorei lands and adorning moonwells in particular have their origin in the totems of the ancient dark trolls; a cultural remnant as the early night elves put crescents on wooden poles to indicate the presence of Elune and to mark places as sacred ground for settlement.

5 Likes

The vast oceans of Azeroth are home to incredible biodiversity scarcely seen by those bound to a life on the surface. Realms beyond reckoning of even the naga sprawl under the waves and its myriad beasts have given rise to a number of intelligent beings.

Some of the creatures, intelligent or not, have taken on the aspect of wild gods by circumstance or design, like Gral. Unfortunately, the world under the waves has been subject to extensive meddling by the malign entities of the Void, suited as they are to the environment in their cephalopod forms, gliding through the lightless depths.

Spurred into action by N’zoth’s return and the many wounds oozing azerite on the ocean floor, these creatures worked with near impunity during the Fourth War, culling the benevolent gods of the deep and turning others to madness while raising new bastions atop sunken ruins of the kaldorei empire.

The ones spared from this suffering fought back, by Neptulon’s decree or not, and today the denizens of these underwater realms are largely wary and isolationist, knowing the danger of infiltrators and usurpers from beyond or even the dreaded Surface. They make their homes where such beings would never look and as such, most explorers braving the depths are greeted with beautiful but silent vistas.

It will take a great deal for the likes of great Ketacean XVI and the Dolphinian Grand Duchy to ever contact, much less be seen alive by the landwalkers.

5 Likes

So, with the knowledge the Dragonflights actually had a proper, functioning, Kingdom pre-WotA.

I often headcanon that Earthen and Kaldorei(/Highborne) were the most prominent visitors to the Wingrest Embassy of the Dragon Isles. Some might even suggest it helped the Kaldorei become the most powerfull Empire in Azeroth’s history.

Ofcourse, as the Highborne grew more in power, and did not want lesser Kaldorei learning the same secrets they did, they banned travel towards the Dragon Isles. Making up stories about the horrific Dragons and their Kingdom. Turning the Dragons from peacefull, gentle, creatures to the ancient and cruel enemies of Elfkind.

2 Likes

With introduction of such things as time elementals and with the existence Murmur being a sound elemental from some forgotten corner of the universe

I propose the existence of a similar entity for other elemental types
such as the alemental lord of alcohol
the chaoticly neutral elemental lord of timesand standing as the balance between the bronze and the infinite flight
and many other such unfathomable beings.

If they are their own elemental lords or merely barons to the prime elemental lords of fire, wind, earth and water is up for debate.

2 Likes

What did I miss?

1 Like

Dragonflight likes to throw “X elemental” and “X magic” words in your face even if it doesn’t make sense.

X being a stand in for whatever the problem currently is or whatever the characters don’t like/like

see:
Order magic
titan magic
life magic
decay magic

You get the picture.

So when I am tasked with killing x amount of time elementals I do not question it, I just accept that time is an element and thus likely have an elemental lord

1 Like

I mean, I suppose Shadowlands threw everything we knew magic-wise in a twist, anyways, sadly…

But I think Time Elementals is less of a stretch. Could’ve named them Time Phantoms or whatever instead, tho

1 Like

They were called timelings by one bronze dragon
and time elementals by another.

Ehhh. I hardly see Bronze Dragons as reliable narrators for that.

They probably just call it Time Elementals, cause thats something the people they talk to understand. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Aha, I return to spread more chaos!

As we know, Cenarius was born from a dalliance of Malorne and Elune. As we also know, a stag, wild god or not, cannot actually mate with the literal moon nor some cosmic spirit.

This mythology has its origin in Cenarius being the true First Druid among mortals on Azeroth, guided to it by Elune as her chosen child for the task in the early days of kaldorei history. Meant to teach mortals the way of Life and Nature magic, it was too much for a single mortal to handle in the way an aspect like Ysera might. Nature is not tranquil but a harsh, wild thing that carves through mountains to assert itself.

As a result, Cenarius was overwhelmed and as elves are wont to do, started to mutate by the intensity of Life magic flowing through him. His head grew antlers, his flesh turned to bark and he became more fae than elf but his spirit couldn’t endure it. As he was about to be changed beyond what his body could bear, Malorne intervened.

The wild god’s power stabilized Cenarius’ mutation and his ravaged soul with part of his own essence, leaving his mark on the former kaldorei, turning him halfway into a stag. His life was saved but his spirit drifted in the Dream. When he regained consciousness, little of the elf’s memories and mind remained. He knew he was of Elune, but little else. In his lost, confused state, it was left to Malorne to guide him and in time, he became as his son with the nurturing Ysera as his adoptive mother.

This is why he, his keepers and dryads look like night elves, and why druids hibernate in the Dream to better grasp their power. The Sisterhood have suppressed these events first as heresy, then cafting a new myth all to deny that Elune could ever have made a mistake.

3 Likes

please stop this!

But once again; I do like this headcanon and big agree with it.

Everything is Elvish in the end. Centaurs and, Wild-Gods included… :smirk:

As for my own headcanon;

Up until the Sundering, both the Kalimdor and Highmountain’ Highmountain Tribes were one and the same. And while mostly compatiable, they diverge around the (presumed) death of Huln Highmountain during the War of the Ancients.

Ofcourse both Highmountain Tribes are trying to align their histories’ with each other; trying to return both Tribes to one Tribe for the betterment of both; but the process appears slow; with both tribes trying to agree on which of their legendary ancestors take precedent over the other ones. Both agree on Huln’s legendary status and try to find a middle ground for both tribes instead!

1 Like

Also an headcanon for me; trying to make sense of Elune and the Night Warrior with the Gods Damned Shadowlands lore…

The Night Warrior is an actual avatar of an actual God(dess). Unlike Malfurion, Xavius, Sargeras, the Aspects, Azshara and the Titanic Keepers. They are not even considered Demi-Gods compared to what Elune is. Not even the Titans are considered Gods compared to Elune. So, being an Avatar of even the simplest facet of Elune is already to much for a mere mortal; What Tyrande did as an avatar of the Night-Warrior was only allowed because she was the favored child of her favored children :melting_face:

2 Likes

These piss me off. It’s just so obviously Danuser wanking to the cosmic chart.

6 Likes

Forsaken sports / entertainment are / is probably a lot more hardcore and freeform than their alive human equivalents, despite basically being the same on paper.

Two examples of this would be jousting, which people have to step in and make more rules every so often, because competitors keep wounding up with ways to have an edge in tournaments, like having their undead horses modified to have six or eight legs which can do nothing but go forwards with terrible force, which had to be banned because it made jousting lances shatter so hard that the shrapnel sometimes harmed bystanders on the crowd; and off-track horse racing, which usually has the riders and the horses riding so recklessly fast that the both of them need mending when each race is done.

Not only this, but they are probably being a lot more prevalent than ever before now that Sylvanas is gone and a period of lengthy peace has taken place, with the Forsaken slowly returning to their human Lordaeronian roots while still having their cultural twist to it.

8 Likes