Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Damn, beat me to it. I kind of held back on nightborne barefoot lore so as not to encourage the meme and the man, the myth, the legend…

Nightborne skimpyness in general can be attributed to simply sheathing themselves in protective magics, choosing fashion over utility as being presentable is extremely important culturally, moreso the higher up the social ladder you go.

Naturally, nightborne exposed to the outside world have brought home a craze for fancy footwear. Those with means and unorthodox fashion sense infamously hoard shoes, both mocked for their indulgence in foreign ways and envied for their fashion sense and exoticism.

4 Likes

2 headcanons, for this round!

First one is;
While the Horde binds the Shal’dorei of Suramar and the Zandalari of Zandalar together, their relationship is tenuous at best and, literally, dangerous at worst.

The Zandalari keeping Shrunken Night Elven heads as prized trophies sours any relationship between the Empire and City-state, with some Shal’dorei swearing their ancestors being amongst the Zandalari’s prized possessions. Due to this, hardly any intermingling with (Zandalari) Trolls has been happening since the Zandalari joined the Horde, nor is anything expected to happen anytime soon. The Trolls still hearing legends told of their defeat at the ancient Night Elven hands, or the Shal’dorei’s aversion to Trolls and their keeping their ancestors shrunken heads as trophies!

Ofcourse this, coupled with the Pandaren’s history with the Zandalari often puts the Nightborne and Houjin Pandaren into the same camp, especially -against- the Zandalari and their Darkspear and Revantusk drones.

Second one is;
The Ancient Elven Language, spoken during the height of the Kaldorei Empire, is the pre-cursor language to Darnassian, Shalassian, Thalassian and Nazja!

While most mortal races are unable to read, or speak, the ancient Elven language, often chanting their spells in an older form of Thalassian, or even older form of Darnassian. There are, however, still quit a few individuals and even groups that are able to speak and read the ancient Elven language.

These groups and individuals include, but are not limited to; Malfurion, Tyrande, Maiev, Jarod, Shandris, Mordent, Illidan, almost all Elven Magi/Scholars are also able to speak and read those languages. While groups able to speak these languages are groups like the Shen’dralar, Moon Guard, Duskwatch and the Magisters. Aside from the mostly Elven groups and individuals, a few amongst the Kirin Tor have also managed to decipher and learn the ancient Elven tongue without help of Elves!

6 Likes

I don’t think this would be extended to the Darkspear given Vol’jin and the Darkspear Tribe’s efforts against both Garrosh and the Zandalari, and their very vocal distaste for both.

Given both the Darkspear and the Zandalari’s opinions about each other, their recent quarrels, and their differences in culture, I’d say the Nightborne are closer to Zandalari culturally than they are to the Darkspear, number of fingers in their hand aside; and thus, here goes my own take of this headcanon!

The Zandalari and their culture is in a strange spot amongst the Horde. While not particularly openly reviled by most of its people, and certainly helpful when it comes to military affairs, the Zandalari feel a little ‘isolated’. The fact that they allow trolls of tribes not sworn to the Horde visit Dazar’alor for religious purposes and trading, rightfully earns the chagrin of plenty a race in the Horde, with the Terrace of the Tribes’ Darkspear Embassy being armed enough to almost be considered a small fort.

To an outsider, unknowing of their history and their culture, one could guess that the Nightborne, the Blood Elves, and the Darkspear would get quite along with them, and find common ground with them; and yet, the rift between them is not only greater than the would-be-bridge, but it is mostly devised by the Zandalari themselves.

They have fashioned themselves to be an empire of great might that isn’t just the direct continuation of, but the very same empire that quarrelled with both of these race in both ancient and recent history, and they take a pride in it that is too verbal for the comfort of anybody but them, whenever a foolish, particularly patriotic recruit begins to reminisce about ‘Ye Good Olde Zandalar’.

As for the Zandalari themselves? It is not any more shocking than it is for everyone else. Everyone seems to be quite proud of fighting, if not wiping out, their ancestors, allies of their ancestors, and deluded and misguided close relatives of them in recent wars from Zul’s deceit.

Furthermore, their culture of castes of high birth and great usage of the Arcane would make one of them think they’d see eye to eye with a blood elf, or their great chronicles and love for history making them see eye to eye with the pandaren, or perhaps, even finding some common ground in spirituality with the Darkspear, thinking themselves to be the arbiters of all things Loa.

And yet, there they stand, at a crossroad they all have paved themselves. They are not quite like the elves, not quite like the pandaren, and not quite like fellow trolls either, and they surely aren’t any closer to the rest of the Horde races - and perhaps, somehow, in a twisted sense of harmony, all four of them are fine with not being each other; especially if the Zandalari are to be the missing link between them.

As for the Shal’dorei? The Nightborne are just very competitive and pretty pissed off at the Zandalari’s claim that they are somehow the pinnacle of knowledge and power in the Arcane and other matters magical inside the Horde ranks. Theirs is a relation less about history and their ancestors, and far more about the rivalry of two magical nations duking it out to be at the podium of Arcane magic in the Horde, while some would argue that they are merely fighting for second place, with the Sin’dorei taking the crown.

It is not rare to see an argument on this matter extend from the realm of speech and into the fires of sword and magic in plenty a Horde War Magi academy, or to see books flying like homing missiles in magi towers, citadels, and even the Pathfinder’s Den.

6 Likes

I’d say this one is not so much headcanon as canon. In Legion there are Kaldorei Empire era artifacts for which the game says that the language in the writing is so ancient that few can read it these days.

3 Likes

Given what you and Moridunum are saying, how much could we reasonably headcanon language families? For example, does the RP community accept different levels of mutual intelligibility between Shalassian and Nazja vs. Shalassian and Thalassian?

It’s canon that they share words, even though the meaning of those words sometimes shifts

I believe kael’thas even greets Tyrande in darnassian in WC3

1 Like

I think Kale greets Tyrande in Thalassian, but it has the same meaning as darnassian.

Unlike quel’dorei, which means highborne in darnassian and high elf in thalassian afaik.

“Elf” is not a word in the elven languages, strangely enough. I’ve written on it before.

2 Likes

This is all great stuff, and lines up with a lot of how I portray Zandalari sentiments towards their elven allies - it’s a single, continuous dynasty and society that holds the receipts on all the slights and defeats of their ancient history (one could go about this in a very Dawi type of way). It’s an immortal society vs elven societies that while consisting of immortals, are volatile and unsustainable - at least, when put on the timescale of Zandalar’s existence.

Though to posit my own angle on Zandalari relations to elves and magic: the sources of magical pride the Zandalari hold are probably 99% percent with the fact their Divine dwells amongst them in a very physical way, and everything they do is with the sanction of these verifiable demigods.

They are not likely in a contest of who wields the arcane with the greatest extent and proficiency, as much they’d deplore the elves for their lack of constraint - it was the Highborne’s reckless sorcery which beckoned the Legion and Sundered the world they stole from trollkind. The Zandalari are not a magical society in which there is a dedicated social caste for hard manual labour, and magic isn’t often seen to be used for chores or menial tasks. The Loa bless their ships, harvests and safeguard the spirits of their dead, yet the Loa’s blessings are pure and unproblematic compared to the works of sorcerers, whereas an overabuse of the latter results in Suramar and Silvermoon’s recent histories; every single member of the populace addicted to magic “because it’s their birthright.”

The same rhetoric which destroyed the world still persists in the elven kingdoms, where streets are patrolled by arcane golems, then swept by enchanted brooms while teleportation is fundamental to transportation. With all the memory of Azshara’s tyranny and the Highborne’s greed devastating the world, could the Zandalari with the magical and historical know-how not see the same danger with Suramar and Silvermoon?

The Arcane is a closely guarded secret for the higher castes of Zanchul, where it’s focused for matters of war and understanding of a fundamental force in the universe - not basing your entire culture around it, especially given the horrors its wrought on the trolls. An different - opposing, even - function for magic in a society. Magic is the Highborne’s descendants’ birthright, whereas the world itself is the Zandalari’s birthright – which magic has stolen from them.

5 Likes

Children of Noble Blood, but that’s honestly just a fancier way of saying Highborne.

1 Like

Children of X, Y and Z is the naming convention. Elf is not an elven word.

2 Likes

But dwarf is.

Eh close enough, thanks for the correction tho :sweat_smile:

I wrote this from the perspective of my Nightborne (Mage), so to him the Trolls are the Trolls. Zandalari on top, the other ones nothing but mindless drones that follow the subtle political goals of the Zandalari Ambassadors, with them being the renowned tribe that they have been since time immemorial!

Heresy, I tell you! Heresy!

It was a headcanon build upon the Lore!

They never stated who or who could not read it or speak it… So I drew my own conclusion and build upon that by using the ancient Night Elf/Nightborne characters and organisations, while also trying to respect the evolution of their language!

1 Like

Orc Headcanon: The Shaman of every Orcish clan, while all use Wolf cowls as a symbolism, tend to favour a certain wolf pelt colour as their clan’s symbol. While the Frostwolves obviously don that of frost wolves which are of white fur, the Blackrock Shaman may favour the pelt of garns which are of darker fur, while the Warsong don pelts of wolves with a shaded yellow. Those of Shadowmoon favour using a dim blue tinted wolf cowl that symbolizes their name, the region of their living similarly.

It is also possible that the colour of the pelt could symbolize the ‘rank’ of the Shaman. Maybe grey colour is a high colour given that Rehgar Earthfury wears a grey wolf.

This is all of course, a headcanon and speculation.

5 Likes

That’s my headcanon too! Elves wouldn’t need a word for “elf” until the Third War.

1 Like

Why not tho?

Humans have a word for humans even tho we know of no other (in)comparable species.

Because the different elven races weren’t in contact with each other and thus didn’t need an umbrella term.

As far as the kaldorei were concerned, they were kaldorei. They didn’t know any other elves existed, and had no need for an umbrella term meaning “us and also our mutated descendants from across the ocean”.

1 Like

Unbeknownst to many, even today, there is a small sect of the Sisterhood of Elune who survived Suramar’s bubble for 10.000 years.

they are often sourced as the reason why most Nightborne buildings are still build with homages to the Mother Moon. In reality they were but a ancient, often forgotten, sect of Priestessess who tried to keep the Nightborne’s faith in Elune alive.

Due to their dwindling numbers underneath the shield and without the Mother Moon’s grace; they eventually resorted to allowing men within their ranks, just not as full Priests like Kaldorei society did. Instead these men served as Acolyte’s to the proper, remaining, Priestessess.

Rumour has it, the Acolyte’s has gained favor as more Nightborne flock back to their ancient religion, with them taking on leadership roles, with permission of the Suramarian Sisterhood, in projects like the retaking of the Cathedral of Night, its surrounding area’s and the ancient Mausoleum city of Tel’anor alongside their superiours, the Priestessess of the Moon!

4 Likes

To night elves, shadowmelding is instinctive. From their own perspective, they just do it, and a typical night elf can’t explain how they shadowmeld any more than a typical real-life human can explain how they walk or breathe.

5 Likes