Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Extra spicy headcanon: Tauren aren’t actually bipedal. They walk on their hooves just to blend in better with their new Horde friends, but they actually evolved to move like gorillas, on all fours. This is why they have very long arms and bent backs.

Headcanon: Orphans are relatively rare in Pandaria, but do exist. These minors are taken in by the temples regardless of age, and as a result many end up devout servants of said temples - indeed, many notable monks and priests have such origins.

This way Pandaria avoids the issues of certain other civilisations, such as Stormwind where orphans often end up homeless or even criminals once in adulthood.

1 Like

Stars have a connection to the Holy Light and their solar radiation is also filled with holy energy. It’s the reason why Sunwalkers and Arrakoa can call upon the Holy Light. This also means that sunlight is also the reason why fel-corruption is slowly healed in the first place. Being exposed to sunlight is, in the Warcraft universe, even more healthy than in real life. Obviously the energies are so weak however that undead or void elves are not disturbed by them. It would be a different story on a planet similar to the Venus however.

Black holes at the same time are connected to the Void. They are a potential gateway into the realm of the Void Lords however no mortal being can, for obvious reasons, pass through them. Sargeras (and maybe Shivarras as well) might have been able to get a glimpse of the terrors beyond the event horizon furthering his idea that the universe had to be purged. When a black hole has consumed enough Light energies it can potentially return to a state of Light aka a star.

That DOES explain why Argus has literally no sun anymore.

Elune is an entity of Balance between Light and Void. Born from opposites, it wards the life created inbetween as a manifestation of the physical universe. This is why its (her?) thematic flair is stars and the night sky rather than utter darkness or shining Light. Points of light in surrounding darkness make up the cradle of all life in the Great Dark.

She pulls tricks from both aspects, stopping conflict with a naaru-like song in ages past when not empowering great Night Warriors with darkness. The “upstart goddess” aligns with neither great power, having her own agenda regarding Azeroth. The beings closest to understanding her still fall short and worship the images they’ve made, misunderstanding her Balance between light and dark as phases of the moon in its grand symbolism.

The moonwell at Bashal’Aran, that one Tyrande used in the ritual, is the reason why night elves are able to have black eyes just like the night warrior. Night elves have used moonwells to empower their troops forever, and I believe that by exposing oneself to the moonwell (drinking or bathing) in the now black swirling waters gives the night elf a small boost of power and endurance, but also drawbacks such as restlessness, mood swings or maybe even a sensation of bloodlust. Cleansing yourself in a pure moonwell will revert you back to normal.

4 Likes

I do like the idea of it changing you beyond putting out the lights in your eyes. If the dark moon is truly a Void thing, we have precedent that it awakens one’s darker urges. The rage and lust for vengeance thus multiplied, the dark eyed kaldorei are relentless.

1 Like

FOR GILNEAS!!!

TBH I think there’s a drip of potential truth to this headcanon. Elune is like “cradle of life” ancient, so it makes total sense shed embody both void and Light.

If true, ironically only the Tauren seem to get this with their earthmother concept. Anshe and musha are both essentially,but one is vibrancy and heat and the other quiet and cold.

I believe the Tauren lore suggests that they do not view shadow magic as inherently bad, as its part of nature. Rather its how its used and to what ends. After all the Tauren ancestors arose from the earthmother shadow apparently . Light creeps in where shadow has been and all that.

So despite their simple terms, I actually think the Tauren cosmology (earthmother is the world soul of Azeroth, the eyes of the earth mother are the void and Light which are both massively concerned with the world soul) is probably the most accurate to the actual lore as chronicles states. Cow people be smart.

Tauren and trolls both count in base 12. Since ancient times, counting on their hands was practiced by pointing the thumb at three points on each of the other two fingers: the base, joint, and tip, for six points on each hand.

The Zandalari pioneered the 24-hour clock by dividing both daytime and nighttime into 12 hours each. The Zandalari were also pioneers in ancient development of mathematics (especially geometry) and astronomy, which, besides the ubiquity of triangles and circles in Zandalari architecture, influenced the division of the circle into 360 degrees, made of twelve 30-degrees sectors each symbolizing a 30-day month. (The ancient Zandalari calendar had exactly 360 days in a year; by the time they realized their error, multiples of 12 had already been firmly entrenched in their culture.)

When the dark trolls of central Kalimdor became the first night elves, they retained 24-hour timekeeping despite eventually adopting the decimal system for counting. The retention of multiples of 12 in night elf timekeeping was helped by the division of the year into approximately 12 lunar cycles. The night elves historically used a lunisolar calendar with solar years and lunar months, with the Lunar Festival being the start of the year. From the Kaldorei Empire, this calendar was passed to Pandaria, replacing its previous calendar that was too heavily entrenched in mogu tradition. The quel’dorei of Quel’Thalas, however, switched to a fully solar calendar when they cut their ties with Elunism.

Titanic races (vrykul, earthen, and tol’vir) had used decimal counting from the start, having five-fingered hands. The exception were mechagnomes, who used the binary system and systems derived from it, such as hexadecimal.

The humans of Arathor inherited a lunisolar calendar from their vrykul ancestors, but eventually switched to the modern solar calendar under cultural pressure from Quel’Thalas, which at the time was the dominant source of scholarly knowledge for the fledging human civilization until the establishment of Dalaran. The solar calendar of Quel’Thalas is effectively the one in use today throughout Azeroth, thanks to human expansionism. It is different from the ancient Zandalari calendar by its variable number of days in a month (31, 28/29, 31, 30…), whereas the Zandalari calendar used 30-day months, followed by five or six transitional days at the end of each year that were not part of any month.

9 Likes

Rylak, just like bats, sleep hanging upside down from a tree or in a cave.

1 Like

Followers of Bwonsamdi are often keen gamblers, due to his propensity for deals. Some use carved bone dice to invoke rituals, or simply as an aid for prayer, like rosary beads. :skull:

9 Likes

Abu’gar is actually the Third Lich King who will become Bwonsamdi before being sent back in time to the dawn of Azeroth as the loa of death.

The sabers companions of the Night Elves and Nightbornes were, before their domestication, closer in term of social structure with our lions than with actual panthers. It was a good part of how they were able to be domesticated, as they already had the mindframe to live with others.

Notes:

• It is possible to domesticate solitary mammals (See the Russian Fox experiment, possibilities with Cheetahs in ancient Egypt.), I do know this.
  • I know cats domesticated (and became social) on their own, but I don’t think the ingredients are really here for the sabers. Cats had a surplus of food in small territories and no need to dispute themselves those (granaries, etc.) I do not feel like this is a condition that works for sabers considering their size and the quantity of food they need. Also, Blizzard tend to put them in group when they put them in the wild (The Winterspring saber rock for example, or those groups of white sabers in Suramar.)
1 Like

I have no idea if this has any base in the actual lore BUT
my newest headcanon is that the twlight hammer was composed of multiple cults, each only worshipping one of the old gods and the cults oppose each other which falls in line with the chaotic nature of their masters.
so basically there is a gang-turf styled war between the cults raging in the shadows.

They were only united doing the cataclysm because of the prophets and harbingers like Deathwing and Cho’gall.

5 Likes

I know this is headcanon on your side, but…

Twilight’s Hammer originate from Draenor, which then Cho’gall became leader of to keep 'em in check, once on Azeroth, he started to believe in the TH’s beliefs, since he could hear the Old Gods. :stuck_out_tongue:

Simply more people joined them later on. :>

Although!

There may very well have been Old God cults on Azeroth that simply joined in with the Twilight’s Hammer after hearing about them!

Sub-sects, to my knowledge this is also canon due the fact that the cult’s operations are wide spread, you have the cults in silithus doing the work for c’thun, the cult in northrend for yoghurt-saron, and so on, these all seem to work independent but simply adhere to a council that oversees the operations.

3 Likes

I had forgotten this in the moment

Honestly I just thought it would be fun if after the cataclysm these sects started civil wars between each other because “their” master is the more worthy one or something silly.

and unless it changed I do recall the old gods used to fight each other for fun and giggles in the black empire days, so having their present day cults continue this in-fighting much to the annoyance of the old gods who just wants to be free again, amuses me endlessly

To be fair, I think It’d amuse the hek outta the Old Gods too. :smile:

This was likely already happening with the idea in mind that getting noticed by their patron god they would be rewarded by them.