Helping new guys find their place among "1k+ RIO" and "Get Friends Club"

I’ve never struggled to get into any M0 so no sorry I can’t relate to that.

I have gone to M0 on any newly dinged character with no gear. Listed a group, it fills up and off we go. It is particularly easy to find people for any dungeon that has a world quest up or the three that drop a mount. People will also farm the others for various resources from TR from melting down Azerite pieces to tidal cores for recipes.

I would hate to have another useless proving grounds requirement that you have to go and tediously perform on every single character just to be able to get access to mythic plus. It was a terrible design in WoD.

There are actually lots of resources available to help with Mythic plus not to mention there are whole communities that cater to novices or more casual players who struggle to get into groups.

There used to be a weekly review of affixes and dungeons every reset on Wowhead, I don’t know if they are still doing those.

If you are dying a lot in low level dungeons or mythic plus you might want to brush up on your own class too. There are class discords, wowhead, icyveins and many more other sites where you get valuable information. There are lots of video guides on youtube for both classes and mythic plus itself. Lots of streamers too.

Just like proper raiding (not LFR) the onus is on you to figure out what you need to do. Mythic plus is no different. This is an activity aimed at organised groups of players.

Look up the communities Calm Keystones, they exist for both Horde and Alliance and they’ll help you through low keys.

You never know you might even enjoy it :slight_smile:

Just to add: RaiderIO will also publish weekly short explanations and routes pointing out key elements for each dungeon on that particular week (e.g. for this week: https://raider.io/news/28-the-weekly-route-teeming-fortified-quaking-and-reaping)

1 Like

People can’t get into m0 and they lack practical experience.
New guys don’t read these forums or wowhead. I know few things about that cause as I got from 0 to 1k Rio in this season I saw some real crazy staff. Now this game depends on RIO for pugs to exist, cause new guys don’t read these pages, but get 400 ilvl free regularly.

nowhere I suggested to gate m0 dungeons. the only idea is to give an educational ingame content, that gives an achievement for knowing mechanics and provides a healthy alternative for new guys to play the game.

Even you don’t read my original post before posting your links. Proves my point - game is not about reading. xD

2 Likes

I’m sorry I just don’t believe you. There is no requirement for M0. If you can’t find any listed, just list your own group.

1 Like

just the last one I have found on topic: Can't Delete your own threads now? well that sucks, guess this'll stay it's title then. Thread not used anymore
If someone is dps and have no score - glass ceiling.

1 Like

Most people who come for help accept the advice they are given.

Try calm keystones if you want to do mythic plus.

Read up and learn what to do if you are struggling to understand what to do in Mythic Plus.

Can you realize I am not asking for the links but suggesting a idea on how to get people familiar with the game?

Most people do not read this or it doesn’t help them in M0 case, cause it’s theory and not practice.

3 Likes

And I’m trying to explain that they will only hand hold for so much of the game then you have to learn yourself.

Edit to add the game has changed considerably over the years and is far more learner friendly than it was.

I get your point but the development of some sort of guide which runs you through mythic dungeons misses the point here from my point of view.

The game is designed to naturally introduce players to higher and higher difficulties which should allow each player to learn at their own pace. If “newbies” realize “I do not know what to do” it should be the easiest thing in the world to write “Hi, I am a new player and I don’t understand what is going on”. This is the way we have all been introduced to the game at some point. Most people will be nice enough to then explain at least basics. Of course there might be a few less-behaved individuals but in general I find people quite helpful if the wish to learn can be seen.

Now, if that particular new player is shy or has some other issues with communicating with other players I ask what good it will do that new player if he is “carried” by a digital guide through a mythic dungeon.

If we are talking about improving the experience to guide new players to current “standards” I think the approach should not be to add something new (e.g. an NPC to follow, which actually might confuse as well) but instead to think about how the mechanisms in place could be further improved.

In the example you posted that player has a 385 druid on his hands (which he/she is not using to post btw which introduces a lot of people saying “get better gear”). The issue of this player seems to be that he/she is getting declined for the groups he/she is applying for and therefore he/she is frustrated (which I can understand).

So what I would do is to provide a link in the game which will introduce players to mythic+ and I think that is already in place. I do not know / think that blizzard can provide a guide on how to use the LFG tool though and why players get declines.

1 Like

I doubt there are a lot of folk who are willing to experience learning theory and practical humiliation in their first m0. haven’t saw much myself at least, most who knew something - had RIO main score.

You approach is for 1980+ generation, current 2000+ won’t read and try hard as you. They will demand more free staff and find an easier game to enter. And if Blizz are like you I guess I should stop and learn Vanilla staff, cause this Azeroth is doomed lol.

Seriously you led me far away from discussing idea into philosophy. Tricky MvP.
but i guess a negative response can be useful.

to Whan:

Your post is heartwarming and coherent, I wish that it would be the way you described at “m0 push” player bracket. However, i saw only RIO and overgear as factors for a successful run. Haven’t met any 0 Rio gem-people, who read wowhead and nailed it in the lower gier tier :confused:

1 Like

While i do believe noobs should learn somehow i am also on the opinion that well you should never be pointed to third party resources. And while i belive those guys should learn from practical experience it’s hard to think they get humiliated in a m0

But let’s just stick with that. Let’s say that is true and that a big number of new players are in that certain spot. Making a story mode for each dungeon would take too much time it’s alot of investment.

I propose a sort of trial account teaching, in game of course with no rewards.You get a pop-up if the game recognizes you are new and says : “Hey would you like to learn about mobs in a dungeon ,and approaching difficult dungeons?”.And then you are moved to an area exactly like the class trial.

There you get to learn what mobs usually do, if you are a veteran you know that Dragons have the tendency to do a tail attack, that dogs/cats jump and rend people.That zones are generally deadly and you should dodge them.That spells that have “blind/gaze” will blind you if you dont turn your back etc.etc. This can help them get some knowledge on the content they will encounter (this is pretty much how veteran tackle new content so easily because it’s rehased most of the times).

And at the end a caveat,while this trial is to teach them and guide them POINT TO THE STUPID DUNGEON JOURNAL which is an in-game tool not used by many but albeit i say this ALOT DO NOT KNOW IT EXISTS. If the game directly tells them at the end of the trial something like hey if you are unsure about something check the dungeon journal of what you have to do it will give you a really good ideea.

And as a last standing modification i would propose better death-recaps.When you die you can press see what killed me and HINTS. And those hints can point you what you did wrong in the journal.Not just arbitrary numbers that you need to be veteran to be able to read “correctly” not just hey this debuff that in the journal says it should be healed by healers killed me clearly the healers fault.No no the death recap to tell you how big of an idiot you are for staying in an area and eating the debuff etc.

1 Like

Yes, i like everything that allows to learn while emerged in game and not use 3rd party staff.
The more detailed recap part is also might be an easy and cheap fix to help to learn.

The game does try to encourage players where to go next.

This is my current Adventure guide at present on a recently dinged alt.

It suggests various content for me to do to gear up.

When we have new players in guild we help them, we point them in the right direction, we may run them through the odd thing but we encourage them to go and do what they need to. Much like on the forum.

Wow has long urged players to go and use resources like wowhead. It’s even part of their help pages.

1 Like

I still defend Proving Grounds. It could have been improved, sure. And it it still usable. Very handy for beginners and healers setting up their mouseovers/addons.

There are a LOT of people playing the game who couldn’t get past Silver. If I remember the threads correctly, it was somewhere in 10% to 20% of people who could not do it.

From that time, Preach doing what he’s best at: shining a light on a corner of WoW experience

But that’s a different subject, and not what Papirosa is talking about.

I’ve walked beginners through dungeons. It’s hard for them to learn the layout and the relevant mechanics when everything is going by in a whirlwind. Some calm “wax on, wax off” introduction to each dungeon would help them.

1 Like

Yes, spot on points, ty.

I haven`t seen this video until now, but Preach provides very constructive, grassroot view of things. Great vid.

And it’s a third party resource just like I was talking about :wink:

It was so tedious having to do it on every character and you could go do LFR or any other content without it.

We had a mage killing mythic bosses who refused to do the proving grounds so he couldn’t actually queue for heroic dungeons but could take part in the most difficult raid mode.

If it as available just as a test or learn to play mode rather than an enforced you must jump through this hoop to do something as basic as a heroic dungeon I might have seen more value in it.

Your suggestion makes no sense. To get started in m+ player needs some common sense (dont stand in poop, interrupt key casts, press your 3 buttons in right order etc) and few minutes reading dungeon journal, rest comes with experience. Up to +10+12 (depends on dungeon) everything can be timed in straight manner of pulling 1 pack at time and clearing everything on the way to the end.

1 Like

That would mean they have already set up their keys, know how to move and what buttons to press =)
And that is kind of the issue. However, there is no real solution to that issue and the question is how much support you can (and should) give people who are unable to accomplish that.

I’m always curious how people get to 3 keys. I’m maining a monk atm and its many multiples of that.

So now that you’ve shot your credibilitiy in the foot I’m less likely to believe the rest of what you say. And I can tell you with certainty, a “poor” group will not time a teeming run by chugging along pack by pack.

So, just no.

1 Like