High CPU usage on Mac since 8.2.5

I’ve noticed since this morning that WoW uses a lot more CPU than yesterday, on a 2018 Macbook Pro. All settings are the same as on 8.2.0 - I doublechecked.

If it helps, the Activity Monitor reports that the System CPU utilization is much higher than it used to be. Not sure why WoW would be logging under System CPU usage now too (instead of just User CPU usage, as it used to), but it seems to be the source of increased CPU usage.

OS is the latest Catalina beta. Again, I had zero problems with it on 8.2.0 - it’s definitely 8.2.5-related.

Relevant US forum thread - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/high-cpu-usage-on-8-2-5/310775 - however I can’t post on the US forums.

edit: Adding a bit more info. I run WoW windowed, and have set it so that fps while in the background is limited to 8fps. Previously (8.2.0 and earlier) that meant that WoW used about 30% cpu while minimised, if that. Now, it uses 130% when minimised (as per Activity Monitor, i.e. a little over one core fully utilised)

2 Likes

I have the same problem in Mojave 10.14.6.
Also closing the game sometimes requires a force quit.

Edit: I have the 2017 5k imac with 580 graphics card. I do have the impression that the char select screen is snappier. I had some issues with the CPU throttling at the recommended setting before so I got used to playing at 30 fps max, will test it again after the new mac os comes out.

Same here CPU maxing out :frowning:

Same. High CPU, temperature increased, fans running at high speed.
Since 8.2.5.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
MacOS 10.14.6
3.6 intel core i9
32GB Ram
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8gb

Same here. I play on an older
2012 MBP, 2,6 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Game was playable at stable 30 FPS at graphics settings 3 in 8.2 but now dropped to nearly unplayable at 9-14 FPS (also in not crowded areas) since 8.2.5.
Fans are kicking in earlier than before aswell, more CPU usage.

new patch

new problems

nothing new here…:joy::rofl:

You have posted that in two threads.
It contributes nothing to the discussion, and makes light of what is actually a serious issue.
Go and do something useful.

1 Like

same for me. Fans going mental since 8.2.5 update. Disabled ALL adding and same issue. Fans kick in soon as I log in, go mad, calm down, go mad again, calm down. Horrible. Was fine up till patch release.

Using iMac Retina 5k i7 2017

Out of a similar thread in the US forums:

Same here.
Got all troubles (high cpu usage, crazy fan, force quit etc).
No problem until 8.2.5.
Mojave 10.14.6 / iMac late 2013 Core i5/16 Gb/FusionDrive/GTX 780M 4 Gb

Patched few minutes ago.

Wow became easier, but i got also 100+% (before patch it was 200%+) of Wow process usage, even after patch and system reboot; (Can`t add screenshot or link to screenshot)

i.imgur .com/UQgXvbA.png

sorry, i have ukrainian Mac OS.

Any updates?

186% of CPU in boralus while game is active