How are ya'll feeling about MW right now?

Are ya’ll enjoying fistweaving or sticking to a caster build, either way, how’s it going for you?

At this point I kinda do not believe that we’ll participate in higher keys, at least when it comes to pugs. For the first time since WoD I’m contemplating rolling another heal and I want you guys pull me out of the dark hell I’m in right now. Send help.

The playstyle is 10/10 for me, never had this much fun with MW. Can’t speak for the strength since M+ isn’t out yet, and M0 is pretty much trivial content but I’m pushing numbers similar to the beta testers in keys and I’m not struggling with throughput or mana at this point.

I don’t play other healers so I don’t have a point of reference though.

As for the build I went a bit hybrid since a pure FW build has no bonuses for vivify spam, which is something you must do sometimes when there’s high burst damage.

Mostly pvp healed, and around 6 heroics. Still sticking to caster build, its maybe my age, but its way easier for me that way. Only need to focus on getting out of AoE and managing the teams heald bars.
When i know all mechanics by hearth that is when i will try to fistweave again for variety.

Tanks are maybe the most self sustaining that they have ever been at the start of a new expansion. Feels almost pointless in healing them. And after 18 years most dps seem to have learned to “get out of the fire” and use selfhealing.
Basically healing was very easy in the instances.
Pvp battleground healing is way more fun for me than instances.

Caster build here…FW i 've tried but sadly can’t go with the mechanics on melle healing. Already made some M0, and no mana issue, made arround 10/15k healing done, details info.
Very happy now with the class, hope Blizz dont make MW casters build to go in to “way down”.

Regards to all fellow MWs Monks

2 charges on cacoon and it’d be perfect

Hello! Same as me, but my thoughts are like - as a healer I like to do some dps and enjoy a melee playstyle. Because I love the impact of strikes in melee. So, I only can enjoy a holy pala and monk nowadays (same as in BFA or Shadowsocks). But pala is’t fun for me and the other healers are boring.

Caster build is fine too, you can try to add some fistweawing in this thing to experiment with. But however, I want to stay monk for all the content we have - PvP, Raids and M+. I think monk is great for these.

1 Like

Fistwaver here and I’ve MAJOR issues eating hits.
I kid you not, 1-3 shot - hardly enough time to react with a heal.

It’s fun melee healing, but I keep dying if anything so much as farts on me.
IDK how to “improve” when I die by being looked at alone.

Needless to say, M+ has been TORTURE so far.

IDK how to chage chars. THIS is my monk.

Fistweaving is the most fun I’ve ever had healing. It does however have a glaring issue that makes it unplayable in keys; it doesn’t have smart healing. It often overheals when it could easily avoid it. The PTR changes are a huge step towards MW being viable in keys, but without changing the way Ancient Teachings heals I don’t see them being viable yet.

2 Likes

Indeed, fistweaving is an absolute blast- when no one needs actual healing. :upside_down_face:

Once the :poop: hits the fan I feel so weak: Vivify doesn’t do enough AoE healing, and it’s easy to forget throwing out your Renewing Mists HoTs when everyone need to be topped up all at once. Also Revival is just a slap in the face by this point. :smiling_face_with_tear: I don’t feel like our CDs contribute beside the cocoon?

I’m struggling with basic +6-8 in iLvl 376 meanwhile my priest, both specs (but especially Holy) just waltzed into +10’s at iLvl 340 with no real issue.

My problem with FW isn’t the healing but the dependence on faeline stomp, or being in melee in general.
For example in nokhud there’s packs with giant voidzones under them, combined with quaking it’s sometimes impossible to hit anything. It seems the only option is to also rely on vivify spam every now and then, but committing to a talent like tear of morning feels too costly.

2 Likes

Gameplay is 10/10, Fistweaving feels very organic and fluid.

Most dungeons feel fine, but Nokhud specifically feel very tedious as Annaconda has said above. It’s no doubt exacerbated by Quaking rn, but the amount of times I’ve just given up and stood off to the side spamming Vivify into 5 ReM’s is pretty comical.

Trying to be in melee range of the AoE stun spamming mobs prior to the first and last bosses, or literally any pack before the undead pair is an exercise in frustration when you’re trying to simultaneously do damage, spot heal and avoid the myriad of nonsense bombarding you from every angle.

I think making Ancient Teachings an actual smart heal would go a long way to improving the experience, because when a fully loaded Blackout Kick decides to prioritise the 97% HP tank over the 5% HP mDPS, it’s straight back to Vivify.

1 Like

I’ll be honest i don’t think fw is doing it for me. Too much random spikes of damage, reliance on faeline stomp, no smart healing. Higher keys are a mess. You have no time to dps and if you do healing is not required anyway.

Caster mw monk is the way but the aoe of spinning crane kick is so bad, even on single target we struggle.

Healers like evoker have it easy.

i’m glad to read you guys ! Same feeling here. I play my monk since MOP, but i’m not a PGM player, i only do M+ 15/20 max and HM raids.

Faeline and all is fun, the gameplay is fun, but not in keys for me. We have to avoid things, and we have to dps to heal. I have big bursdt healing with faeline + chi ji, too much overheal, but only on big pulls. On bosses it’s not the same, and outside this window, the healing is not really efficient. It’s hard to dps for healing, it’s hard to be a healer on melee, and the faeline is not helping, and outside of it, healing is really poor. Maybe it’s better for really good players with really good teams, but for casual player like me, with PUG groups or even with guild group, it’s not fun. Sismic in Halls of Valor, seriously it wasn’t fun at all, i feel useless half of the time. Big window healing are too much, and healing it’s not enough outside of it. It’s so much easier with other healers that can heal efficiently out of melee.
Oh i forgot, the faeline, that people can’t see especially the tank (only for few seconds)… seriously…

I love my monk, so i’m trying some hybrid builds, one with the faeline but with some buff when i can’t be in melee : https://www.wowhead.com/fr/talent-calc/monk/mistweaver/DAOFUGWYFEZFEIIgQBQPVVUVQASFVVCSBAQDEAA

and i tried a mistweaving build, with no faeline, and no interaction between dps and healing. You dps only when you have some time, and the healing is efficient and consistent, so i can dps freely. A far better experience in my opinion : http://wowhead.com/talent-calc/monk/mistweaver/DAOFQGURFUZVUYCgQBRPVVUVUASBZFQggQQDAFA

I know it’s not the better builds, on the monk discord i can’t talk about that, they gonna lynch me, but i think those builds are easier for casual players.

1 Like

Yes, I saw your second build a few hours ago (on the US forum) and it made a world of difference.

I no longer feel useless and have more confidence in my healing, but alas, caster MW is not fun at all compared to Fistweaver. It is a compromise I’ll have to take tho since FW just DID NOT work, even on low keys.

I can FINALLY start climbing.

I think this is a build we can use on some keys / affixes, depending on the group too.
With enough stuff and all, better strategies etc, I will take back the fistweaving build with the faeline. Maybe with the 10.0.5 midifications. But at least we can have a viable alternative if we are not confident with the fistweave build. But it’s not for big keys.

And yeah, fistweaving is more fun than an hybdrid one ^^

1 Like

Been running something essentially similar to your hybrid suggestion.

Was originally trying to run without Misty Peaks/Rising Mist in favour of Invoker’s Delight but often found myself wanting for ReM coverage when I needed it most.

Maybe it was just poor play on my part but having the ability to comfortably switch to 5-man Vivify spam whenever I want to without having to worry about not getting duplicate ReM’s really smoothed out the instances of damage intake where you can’t rely on Ancient Teachings to go where you want it.

1 Like

New week, new affixes, new issues:
I had some success with making FW work in some dungeons last week, this week however? Yeah, h*ck no. I’ve to resort to MW but the lack of damage -with said build- is heavily felt. :crazy_face:

I’m heavily held back by my class. I DON’T wanna re-roll druid/prevoker but it’s the route I’m seeming to head to. :unamused:

i feel like i’m gonna dps this week XD
can’t heal the affixe when then mobs are dead…

If they made Ancient Teaching a smart heal MW could be playable, if it stays like this we will have shadowlands all over again.

When the group is low it chooses to heal the 80% HP targets waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times instead of the low HP targets. It is very annoying even if you set it up perfectly if the RNG is not on your side people will die.

3 Likes