How bad are the 9.1 nerfs?

• Flamestrike damage reduced by 10%.
  • Flame Patch (Talent) damage reduced by 10%.
  • Kindling (Talent) cooldown reduction for Combustion reduced to 1 second (was 1.5 seconds).
  • Infernal Cascade (Conduit) Fire damage bonus reduced by 20%.

I understand the aoe nerf, but the single targets needs are retarded.

Hard to predict how much but we are losing a big multiplier during combustion.

very bad, expect frost to take over

And kleptomany being arcane only; as it should be. Finally I can remove the /cancelaura macro and use the stealed Combustion. LOL

Early sims say 8% ST nerf but the 3rd conduit will be stronger for fire mage than most specs in the game.

1 Like

Instead of actually improving other classes/specs and help them reach a decent state in-game with a good performance,they gut the ones that are performing good.Trash cheap way to balance things in a game.Blizzard did it again!Clap clap…For fellow mages,go out there and make your statement!Do not destroy what is fun!If you love your spec,express your feelings and kaboom the forums with these stinky nerfs!

Not as bad as people make them out to be. Fire is completely busted atm and will most likely still be top tier even after nerfs. Everyone is overreacting and crying “fire is dead”. No it isn’t. It’s still going to be one of the best specs for PVE and PVP.

9 Likes

Im against this bombardize we got all of a suddeon in PTR Notes and i literally do not agree on the Single Target NERF!It’s actaully 7-8 nerf on ST.Fire will be strong but what i do not understand is why bombardize the spec with nerfs before you even make raid tests etc…Seems like a big lazy way to control a spec.Do not forget what they did at start of shadowlands in Frost Mages.They were nerfin th spec day by day…I’m against it and you should also be.Creating a post also might help as-well so you should also make.

It’s Mage.

Unlikely to be that bad.

2 Likes

The Single Target nerf makes sense in relation to Blizzards design goal of different specs having different niches. Right now Fire Mage is an AOE beast because of no target cap. It will still be after the nerfs. So according to Blizzard it shouldn’t also be a top tier spec on single target which it currently is. AOE is the niche of Fire Mage, so the single target should be bottom tier.

Blizzard will never ever take the steps they need for this to become true. They just gave the nerfs so fire is not like 10 - 20% better than everything else.

2 Likes

Nerf 3 op specs or buff 20 odd dps specs… makes no difference which way you do it anyway

That’s completely wrong tbh.Way wrong and tasteless.

I fully understand AOE dmg nerf for Fire mage, he deserved it.
What i dont think is right is the kindling nerf. If they nerfed it, they should have buffed dmg of something on ST to compensate it.

4 Likes

Totally agree.

But i dont agree with you at all.

2 Likes

I think we will be still at top tier as the soulbinds will upgrade to higher rank and thats obv giving us the same and even more damage for the Cascade soulbind, and ofc the gear will aswell be higher at the end i think when we are fully geared and max soulbinded we will be top tier again :slight_smile:
EDIT : only problem will be the 1 min combust, but i think with the soulbind for NF i m hopeing to get it to more reduced seconds which will result in slighty near 1 min combust.

2 Likes

My understanding is since AOE is fire’s niche, it shouldn’t also have the best single target in the game (which it currently has).

You shouldn’t. Fire spec is completely busted right now in all types of content, nerfs are well deserved.

This nerf will most likely not make huge impact on the state of fire mage. They’re still going to be S tier. These changes are to make sure that fire doesn’t become like 20-30% better than anything else since we’re getting another potency slot in 9.1 and gear with better stats.

3 Likes

I think they overshot it by a mile. I understand why they wanted to nerf fire mage, it needed to happen, but it’s like they took all the possible fixes, couldn’t decide which one and just threw all of them in.

Flamestrike and flame patch nerfs were good, infernal cascade should have been nerfed less, but kindling change is so dumb, cause it changes something so fundamental about how the spec plays atm.

Overall though, with stat scaling, new conduit, DotG scaling, if we can still get 1 min combust, then it will feel fine to play on ST and it’s just a numbers game.
And in the same vain, if we have 1 min combust, then even at 10% aoe nerf we’re still gonna be strong in keys, but might be seasonal affix dependent.

1 Like

What on earth are you basing that on?