How did Teldrassil even burn?

Maybe I’m a bit out of the blue, but boy, how did Sylvanas manage to burn a tree that big down with some magic catapults? Teldrassil is so big it has lakes on it.

It seems really, really dumb.

3 Likes

A forest isn’t immune to burning just because there’s bodies of water nearby. I can sadly point to Australia as proof of this.

4 Likes

It was more to demonstrate the size of the tree. How can something that big be taken down by some catapults?

The answer is: Plot.

The catapults canonically had a range of a couple hundred yards, which doesn’t even suffice to hit the base of Teldrassil in ingame scale, yet they managed to fire so far and high that it rained fire from above at the top of the tree.

In spite of the tree having several large lakes on top of it, whose water constantly flows down the trunk, the entire island-sized tree somehow dried up within minutes.

Don’t even begin to try and make sense of it. It was “cool” and “metal” and that was all there is to it.

12 Likes

The mechagnomes was tired of their s***t and used their flametower mode to burn it down

1 Like

I heard someone say BfA should have happened in reverse (starting with the N’zoth plot and ending with the faction war) and the more I think of it, the better it sounds.

Like, they could’ve made Mechagon actually relevant to the larger story by having the Horde use some super advanced machinery they pilfered from Mechagon to burn down the three.

Heck, they could’ve even used that to advance the gnomes vs goblins plot. Gnomes think “see, we can’t trust the goblins and their Horde allies with advanced technology, we’re the only ones who can responsibly handle it!”, while goblins would go “oops, we might’ve gone too far, we can’t trust ourselves with this kind of technology… but neither can we trust that the gnomes won’t abuse it!”

Why’re blizz devs getting paid for writing such crap again?

2 Likes

…what gnomes vs goblins plot? They are often paired up because they fill the same position in their respective factions, and thus make great competitors for the same goal. But that’s really it. There is no ancient enmity, there is no history of wars, and there was no attempt to outlaw each others’ stuff.

That’s no plot.

Would still have been a crappy addon, and at least the way it is the faction war ended… somehow.

Semantics, but I get where you’re coming from. Subsitute “plot” with the word “narrative” or “theme” if you prefer!

Okay, in that case… nah, as a gnome player I’m quite happy not having that. I neither need nor want goblins to help define gnomes. And that conflict usually has the depth of a saucer, and is purely played for comic relief. That’s helping no one.

1 Like

Very understandable point, fair enough!

At least in game it seems like there is at least a rivalry who is better at engineering. With Quests going back to classic, and the theme with always competing for the same goal. But no real emnity between them.

1 Like

Explanation was azerite bombs.
They fly better, faster, longer, can burn world trees.

Or something.

Don’t look for reasons where there were none to begin with.

3 Likes

It actually wasn’t. It was never mentioned if those were azerite weapons. If I remember correctly all that they did mention was some highborne sorcery.

3 Likes

Well that’s disappointing.
I stand corrected.

1 Like

No. Its mentioned that Horde shamans were forcing flames to spread faster. But still its a really big physical issue there. Teldrassil had a mountains on it, mountains!!!

The answer is pretty simple. Blizzard designers did not like to see “half tree” in game. So they decided to destroy the tree transforming it in to 2d object.
What else small indie company could do? Redraw a tree just for Night Elves fans? But Blizzard are Night Elves haters…

3 Likes

Not to mention distance between teldrasill and dakrshore.I am pretty sure that with little tweak they could hit the moon with those catapults

2 Likes

Because Blizzard needed a set piece casual former players would recognise so they could destroy it for a “Holy Crap!” moment and potentially get those players to check out the game again to see what all this burning nonsense is all about.

Once done they never addressed it again outside of a small fan service questline, warfront and a few lines of dialogue here and there to insist that they hadn’t forgot about it.

Did it make any logical or lore sense? No. But expecting the marketing team that writes this game to give a damn is fruitless.

2 Likes

Very likely. But, oh so sad. Sometimes I feel that the people on the job do not play their own game except perhaps raids, dungeons and arena. Item levels, gimmicks, loot, and hype. But lore? Probably wouldn’t know how to spell it.

Today, my hunter took a flight from Felwood to Teldrassil (I just love that Tree - along with Thunder Bluff (and now Zandalar)) and on my way back to Felwood, I noticed (starting from its leafy crown) that it has a direct view of Hyjal’s Nordrassil :xD

How about some mages were to build some instrument with which to send out morse code messages? It is almost perfectly linear. Amazing.

1 Like
  1. The fires were fanned by Horde shamans
  2. The flames were magical, from what I remember through Azerite, though it is possibly it wasn’t specified what magic

It’s mentioned in Elegy or Good War, not sure which.

1 Like

No matter where this brain dead management had it mentioned, it is a lazy way of dealing with a highly delicate matter, i.e. destroying players’ capitals after over a decade of in-game bonding (especially for the rp-community). Blizzard is either callous or stupid to the core.

2 Likes