How did Teldrassil even burn?

Pretty subjective. Either way, just answered OPs question.

Okay, now we all had a go at trying to remember what those sources said… let us instead look at it for once, I mean, they are freely available, so why not.

She shouted the order again—past Saurfang. “Burn it!”

Nathanos turned without a word and motioned to the siege crews.

It happened fast. Faster than Saurfang could comprehend.

A troll mage spread fire across the payloads, and with a pull of a lever on half a dozen siege engines,

the Horde flung death into the air.

“No,” Saurfang whispered. He watched, speechless, as fire arced across the ocean.

Every single payload hit its target. Orange flames began to spread across Teldrassil.

Silence fell over the Horde. Even the cries of the captured night elves vanished. Everyone watched in disbelief.

“No,” Saurfang whispered again, louder.

A second volley launched, and that broke the shock that had paralyzed him. “No!” he roared. “Stop firing! Stop!”

It was too late. The second barrage hit, and within moments, the lower half of the World Tree was engulfed in flames. The fire moved as if it were alive, climbing the tree, scrambling toward the city in the heights of its branches.

[Some of Saurfang’s inner monologue taken out]

The entire tree was now engulfed in flames. Shimmers of blue and white grew and faded as the fire burned hotter and hotter. The edge of the fire circled around the tree. And then, the city of Darnassus began to burn.

So… no mention of shamans or azerite in A Good War.

So let’s look at Elegy… what do we have?

“What is happening?”

The voice was human, and the speaker stepped beside her after shouldering her way through the crowd. Tyrande looked down at Mia Greymane. The queen’s expression was stoic, but her eyes were wide, and she trembled ever so slightly. The high priestess bent to listen to her words. “We hear that the Horde has

destroyed the wisps, that the Sentinels are all dead, and that the Horde approaches with arcane fire to burn the World Tree.”

Rumors of arcane fire, no shamans or Azerite here. Later on, perhaps?

The first volley of the siege engines struck true.

Rut’theran Village, its docks crowded with night elves, was the first to be consumed. Those not killed outright tumbled into the water, screaming in agony as the cold brine brought not relief but only further shock . . . then death.

The arcane-touched payloads crashed into the branches of Teldrassil, each bough the size of an ordinary tree itself. The fire caught quickly. Shaman in Darkshore conjured winds to amplify the flames. Sparks danced like vicious imps from bough to bough, leaving crackling crimson and orange in their wake.

And there we have it. Arcane-touched payloads creating flames fanned by shamans. No azerite.

I hope that cleared it up.

4 Likes

Sure and my comment was not a criticism of your post as such, but of Blizzards’ insensitive handling of their subscribers.

Not to forget, it is not only Teldrassil, although unlike UC this is definitely gone. But the very idea to single out certain racial capitals for destruction is beyond wise management. This, in turn, is not a subjective matter but rather an objective failure at bonding subscribers to the game. Blizzard’s brain dead move achieved rather the opposite.

It is subjective. A war without losses is boring, just like the stance that every faction needs to equally win and lose something or someone will yell bias. It‘s the reason the story is just turning in circles & becomes less and less believable.

Losing a character or place with emotional meaning can greatly enhance the story and investment of the players into that story. That isn‘t to say that this case didn‘t have many flaws.

Thanks for checking the exact quotes :+1:

Theoretically speaking maybe, as long as one is not the party getting the short end of the stick.

A game as such as this running 16 years has established a certain “racial bonding” as far as player’s “main” is concerned. Wise management takes this into account and finds other ways to drive the plot along in an exciting manner.

Other game developers can do it, so there’s no excuse for Teldrassil and UC. Sorry, but I beg to differ on this matter.

3 Likes

Only if it’s followed by proper progression and development and not thrown around for the sake of shock value and dropped as soon as writers feel the need to dangle a new flashy bit in front of the audience.

Also, the way you die is relevant.

5 Likes

Can only agree with that one and the follow-up is the actual thing that went wrong with this whole faction war story.

Does Leafs burn?, does tree’s burn in a forest?.

There you have your answer to how Teldrassil burnt.

Have you ever wondered why people chop up a tree BEFORE they burn the wood?

Once you have contemplated the matter thoroughly … you will see why (among other things) burning Teldrassil is such utter nonsense, i.e. lazy in-game story-telling by a brain dead lore department.

1 Like

Aha, well if it was one catapult sure i’d understand that a Tree that big wouldn’t start a fire, but you see there was ALOT of catapults, and you see its a game, not real life.

Anything can happen in WoW.

Yes its utter nonsense that wood can start to burn xD

Without these so called " Brain Dead "story-tellers, so wouldn’t shadowlands have happened because all of the power she gained by killing everyone inside of Teldrassil.

If you’re so disapointed about the Ingame story-telling / current Lore, why are you even playing the game?.

In a setting operated by magic and mystical energies, I fail to see the issue in contemplating the burning of a tree as something feasible.

Even if it could’ve been done better, there are certainly means by which said event could’ve realistically happened.
Waving it as “Magic projectiles” may be lazy and lacklustre, but it’s vague enough to facilitate to some degree it’s credibility. At least for some.
Specially if you factor in Shamans, Warlocks, Mages and the sort of energies they wield.

We are not questioning the logic behind flying ships with pure energy guns that tear down thick stone fortifications.

Because it is a social activity, where the people you play with are often more important than the game? Because you can enjoy the gameplay without enjoying the story? maybe even because you can enjoy hate-watching stuff and having fun ripping it with your friends? Really, if you find it impossible understand why people who hate the way the story is written would still play the game, even if they have given up hope for betterment, that’s on you.

Try setting fire to a living tree. It’s really not as easy as you think it is. There is a reason why forest fires usually spark up in times of draught and need to reach ridiculous temperatures to spread like they do. Like with human bodies, a great part of the tree is filled with water. Teldrassil wasn’t exactly a dry place, with it’s roots going into the sea and lakes on its surface.

So yes, an acknowledgement of how hard it would be to get that tree to burn - and burn that ridiculously fast - is needed to satisfy the critical watcher. And it’s not like it would be hard with the magic systems they set up. All they really needed to do was make it an Azerite thing. Well… they didn’t. They made it frickin’ catapults, shooting over miles at a tree with pitch-stuff that some mage set ablaze. If you are satisfied with that… nice for you. But if you think it unreasonable to feel that it is really, really lackluster as an explanation and not really doing justice to the situation, I think you haven’t understood the criticism yet.

4 Likes

Yikes, you can pretty much do anything in the game without communicate in Social Activities, so thats no excuse xD, and exactly, if peoples play the game purely to play with their friends and hates the lore, why should they talk about it xD?

Once again, if you’re prio is about playing with friends, and kinda hates the lore, just don’t get involved with peoples that care more about the story of the game, and plays the game purely for that.

Sorry im not a pyromancer, why would i go out to set a living tree on fire?, what are you on about?.

I’m pretty sure most of Teldrassil is burnt from the top til about half the tree the most?, so don’t come with those excuses.

Yikes we’re getting abit agressive now huh xD?, You say that some mages set the cannon balls ablaze, then you don’t know that mage’s fire, well Fire mage’s magic is MAGICAL, not living flame like as if you were to make a fire the normal way.

Then again, you said some peoples play the game purely because of their friends, and don’t care so much about the Lore, can i ask you something?.

Are you one of those people?, if you think that the burning of Teldrassil doesn’t make sense, then why are you even arguing with me about it?, let it go.

EDIT
That being said, its the way Blizzard decided to go with, what can / will you do about it?, you can do nothing about it, Sorry to say.

2 Likes

You can criticise it. Which is the very thing that happened here.

Nah. I’m also in this camp:

To be clearer: I mostly play the game for RP reasons. Since the lore is the basis for this shared, social hobby, staying up to date is kind of required, no matter how ridiculous I find the stuff that is happening. But that isn’t so bad, since I sincerely enjoy mocking it, and never seem to have problems finding people who feel the same here.

But, to fully enjoy it, of course I need contradicting positions that help me by giving me a reason to go into some details that make me further appreciate, how thoughtless and :poop:-y the story is.

Was that clear enough? I personally have a bigger problem understanding why people would come here to “defend” story decisions they liked, instead of just enjoying them.

So you are okay with the implication that any mage, at any time could have destroyed Teldrassil if the wind was right? I’m not. And the story doesn’t give me any reason to suspect anything unusual for the game-world going on here.

But sure, let’s go with that. In that case the problem indeed isn’t that the tree burned, but that the writers would make the Night Elves so monumentally stupid to live in this newly created fire hazard without any safety measures at all. That makes them an embarassement for the reader that identified with them, and takes away every bit of threat they might have posed for people who saw them as an antagonist. Still :poop:-y writing. Stupidity, when the plot demands it.

I think it makes sense
You don’t think it makes sense

Will we even get anywhere?

Well, it won’t be any more useless than any other discussion here. I’m having my fun, so don’t worry on my account, and reply as long as you find it the least bit interesting. And if you don’t, I’ll just have the childish triumph of getting the last word, but like many childish things, it often still feels good. :crazy_face:

There’s no race about who’s getting the last word or not lol, but ey you said that your playing the RP activity in the game, which means that you have to be in the lore alot right?, to know you stuff yeah?.

More or less. RP as it is on the WoW-Servers usually is a lot more “grounded” than the high level hero stuff the character does in the main plot. So much of the stuff that is happening in the zones that are “hot” at the moment isn’t that relevant, because it is probably over by the time your soldier or mage or city-dwelling criminal even learns about it.

But on the other hand… there is a real lack of details about the cultures our characters come from in Blizzard’s lore. So role-players usually have to go through most of the new stuff for any hints of how Blizzard thinks the societies they play in looks like, and if it contradicts with the head-canon they based their play on before.
Apart from that, role-players tend to be a bit specialized. If you really only RP night elf druids, you don’t really need to understand human mages or gnomish technology that well, but you will probably rather focus on the stuff that your druid is supposed to know.

So… yeah. I would assume role-players follow the lore more actively than the average player, but no, I they don’t need every detail.

we should honestly discuss the lore of stuffs if you wanna continue with this argument, i play the game PURELY for the game’s lore, so if you’d like we can take it on Discord or a new thread instead of hijacking the OP’s thread

or B) sure we can just let it go as i wrote above as we wont get anywhere.

With your Childish victory with getting the last word. (As you stated)

And I’ll stop reply leaving this argument maturely.

I’ll never grow up! :wink:

5 Likes