How do you focus on 1 character

If you enjoy leveling alts, maybe you shouldn’t stop :smiley: ? It’s a relaxing, low- effort thing to take a breather from your main character without leaving Azeroth. During Legion I decided to have at least one character of each class, to get all the class mounts. Then the Allied Races came, with their shiny new armors, so obviously I had to level up a bunch of characters more…

“Alting” is a great passtime that can be relished.

12 Likes

Thats the nice thing with wow though, there is no “correct” way of playing it. If leveling alts is what you enjoy doing then just keep doing that?

I have had this char since tbc and i just cant imagine playing anything else. If i level alts i just dump them at max level and never do anything with them anyways.

2 Likes

Main reason for me. I thought about leveling my Warrior.
But then I remember, that I have to do the maw intro, convenant campaign I’ve already done 3 times, Korthia, and renown farming.
I would also have to do Torghast with him, just without the cube bonuses.
Even thought I like Torghast, running it with my main is enough for the week.
And for what? To hope that one of the few M+ dungeon teams would invite me?
In SL the activities I can do alone aren’t as much fun, and currently there isn’t too much activity in my guild aside from raid night every sunday.
So I just keep playing with my main.

1 Like

Alts are prohibitive in the current end game.

Play one character, or quit, i’d say.

I totally understand you and my enjoyment of the game really diminished cause i like playing different gameplay styles, but given it all passes through domination gear and gems atm and how rare loot drops are, there just isn’t a chance.

Thus why some characters like this warlock are still level 50. I just don’t have excitement for the game anymore.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with alts, play what ever you get enjoyment from. I refused to “main” one charcter this patch. Soon as I saw domination sockets, korthia grind, gem upgrade, shard upgrades. Legendary weapons behind heavy range.I was just like nope not doing it, no chance.

Got 5 characters with KSM doing what I love. First raid tier I’ve not bothered with since mid legion. First chores I’ve not even attempted (think max korth reps at 4 on any of my charas). And I’ve had soooooo much more fun just not caring and doing loads of 15 keys as healer/tank/melee and range DpS with my mates.

3 Likes

Basically this, and is it not wonderful you can’t ‘screw’ it up, either? Worst case, you die, and you can retry unlike in real life.

2 Likes

Except now there is no chance of keeping up with all the various systems and grinds, so you are stuck with ‘fall behind on main whilst concentrating on alts’ or ‘forget about alts ever being remotely good enough and try and keep up on main’.

Probably the main reason I gave up on SL is that it is totally alt unfriendly and there is no way short of it being a full time job to maintain more than one or at most two mains. Dailies and weeklies alone can take up most of a week on two toons for people with normal play time.

2 Likes

Play a class like monk, paladin or Druid.

Most days I wanna heal. On the days I don’t I can instead tank, or dps. I have three distinct specs to work on and gear and invest in to keep me entertained, resulting in my character being able to perform a variety of functions.

I find it hard to alt properly. I tend to “swap mains” instead. I focused on rogue until about a week ago, he’s at 243 ilevel atm but I just wanted to get my monk going so last week I began to do exactly that. Got about 12 ilevels and 750ish m+ Rating in that first week. But what a week to start (necrotic can kiss my beefy behind)

2 Likes

I don’t know what to suggest to you, this problem is completely alien to me.
the first character I ever created is still my main to this day, despite multiple breaks from the game over the years.
But if you prefer to play multiple alts without a definite main there’s no problem with that as long as you have fun.

2 Likes

I have the opposite problem: I’m a mainoholic. My alts usually end up being deleted. I’ve been playing this character since BC and every time I think about the amount of things I’d have to redo on an alt makes me delete the alt.

I have done Loremaster twice, before and after Cataclysm and I would have to redo it on an alt to be able to role play in phased zones. Ugh. So nope, I’m really not looking forward to redo all that stuff on an alt. I have 14 years of work invested into this toon.

But different people enjoy the game differently, there are people who enjoy levelling and even the 50 character cap per account is not enough for them. It’s cool.

2 Likes

I feel that some distinction should be made between alts for farming and those to experience another playstyle on endgame content.

If there is a strict phylosophy in WoW where any item or achievement can be acquired on any class or faction, this would solve a lot of the alt-related dilemmas that people are having. Alts for the sake of farming things (crafting, mogs, mounts etc) isnt very good for the game in the long run. However, the game currently has so many convoluted restrictions that many people are subliminaly pushed into playing alts and then get punished for it (the typical “why you hitting yourself” bully type of situation).

When it comes to wanting to play multiple characters for the sake of variety, that can only be good for the game since it helps preventing players from feeling like the endgame content isnt sufficient (which is common among people playing on single character).

2 Likes

always two there are… one to embody the ilvl and progression and one to crave it and post on forums

Other 60s other alts at lvl 60 are for appearance farming, they dont take even moderately regular attention and exist for special purposes like old raids, warfronts like queues, new mage tower may be!
1 Like

It’s not problem - it’s way of playing game.

I am also alcoholic and I enjoy that.
You don’t try to focus on each char and gearing.

It’s like pairs of cloth - you try new every day until you get bored and rotate again.

1 Like

Got all classes cause i like diversity and play most specs in game , but somehow i managed to main only 1 tune every patch .
I did a few runs or a world boss on my alts to but 95% of my time goes to my main .
I do believe in discipline and not the spec :smiley: .

Gear is king and gearing up all my alts it’s to much of my time that’s extremely off putting for me . This is the main reason .Hope it helps .

2 Likes

Im not an althooholic but i like to have atleast one/ maybe 2 if the game isnt super grindy!

I like diversity:

-heal pve/pvp

• 1 alt to casualy tank
    -2nd alt if my friend wants to try a new arena comp.

How do i focus mostly on main?

• put urself some targets to achiev( arena rating, mythic plus achievements, finish all raids atleast on normal, rated bgs) i usualy target atleast 2 content types and try to achiev a KSM mythic( kinda new to this and i like it) or atm atleast 1800 in arena)

• its important to like ur main classs- nowadays the diversity and individuality of classses its kinda in a bad way- but if u look from anothet perspective u can enjoy ur class/spec for what it is.

Ex: i like disc, the spells aesthetics and the healing role pve/pvp makes me wanna improve.

Set some long targets for ur main, but start with small steps!

Ex:

Play an alt only after u managed to grow some target on ur main( lets say u have mythic 6 max, this week try to go 9-10 atleast)

Lets say ur 1200 arena- try to go atleast 1350.

After uve seen improvements u may get the motivation to play ur main more.

In the end, its nothing wrong with you my friend!

Hope it helps a bit!

Have a great week!

1 Like

the question “how do you focus on 1 character” is irrelavent because its either you do or you dont.
its not really a choice, some people are just too lazy to start over and some do it all the time.
some people care about what will happen to their character, others dont and would erase it in a heartbeat.

me personally, i could never remove my character. knowing that my character been all over the world, allow me to proudly say “my character is and has been on a long journey for a very long time.”
you on the otherhand, wont enjoy playing one character. its just not who you are. even if it means it lacks the adventure aspect.

1 Like

I am the same: I get bored easily and then I try new things. However, I always go back to my hunter and I stay with her to do some stuff or help people, maybe RP a little bit.

I can’t play any other class now than hunter :rofl: I was a Druid back in WotLK, but I found that Druid is kinda guild dependent, as a hunter you can do whatever you want (as max lvl you can do whatever you want too, but it doesn’t feel the same without pets :smiley:) what I’m trying to mumble is - and someone else mentioned too that you will find the one that feels the best. I’m not doing endgames I’m not sweating in mythic ( never been in one due to being afraid to be rejected or ridiculed).

I’m just creating a story for her :blush:

1 Like

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I love how diverse they all are.

I’m thinking I’ll role a druid as they are a baseline rogue, warrior, mage and healer. That way I can flicker between different play styles on 1 character. It might work it might not. I’ll just take it 1 step at a time.

I think I need to find myself a good community, so I get to play with similar minded people and have a solid social structure to help me stay on the path.

I was thinking about making a guild, I even posted a thread about it a few days back but it didn’t seem to get much interest.

Here is the link to the guild post if your interested

What about players who want to try out different classes in high end M+ but then have to do all the same grinds they already done on their mains? I mean, when I make an alt I don’t really do it because I want to farm relics in Korthia one more time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.