How to be cringe in 2 steps

you seem incredibly insecure my friend

4 Likes

no giana sisters or tomb raider in their youth. we should be indulgent.

Or have a name that nobody can type down. Like having ø in it.

Whatever you say, my lady.

This ain’t a lie

1 Like

I get your point that guy creating female character in role-playing game is kinda cringe, but WTF is wrong with giving her female name?

Would it be better to create female character and name her George?

I thought the point of roleplaying is playing a role and not putting yourself as a role. Honestly the idea you need to perfectly re-create yourself for immersion feels more cringe to me.

Been using Kirya (the second “a” was basically very crude method to bypass “name taken”, wasn’t till a bit later I found more fitting name keeping the core intact) for years now. She’s really almost a second skin by now. And I have to agree with Lorraen’s

Really neatly put reasoning.

1 Like

Making a doppleganger of yourself for RP purposes is a very, very, very dubious concept, and I also find the idea ‘cringe’ (Ye Gods! I hate these kool FotM meme phrases, can this one please die?).

Who the hell wants to be Frank who works for the Post Office in a fantasy role playing game with elves and dragons, when you can be an heroic warrior who is part of a mythical, exotic race of Amazonian night warriors, (or a magic-addled race of hell-bent fanatics in your case :money_mouth_face:)

Quite frankly real life sucks. In real life I’m a wage slave chained to a computer doing meaningless crap that nobody will give a damn about a month from now. Anything to get away from reality and into the blessed relief of escapism.

3 Likes

Oh come on we’re getting better. Lost some edge since we started sucking on light infused arcane energies from our purified font of infinite magic.

1 Like

Point is that it might not very comfortable for guy to role-play female character (as in impersonating the opposite gender) unless they have some fetishes.
It also might be even less comfortable for guy assuming they are talking to female player, then find out he was interacting with another guy the entire time.

I do have few female character alts, and for the most obvious reason. They are eye-candy.
I also tend to first think of the race and personality of the character, then I decide for gender, class and look that would suit them most.
I however always addressed to them in 3rd person.

It doesn’t necessarily work that way.

It’s never a case of ‘impersonating’ anything or anyone, it’s more like a form of improvised acting, coupled with ad-hoc storytelling. For most people who role-play they effectively use their character as a storytelling mechanism, little different from using a wooden game piece upon a role-playing board game.

You move that action that piece according to how your character would react in a specific situation, but there shouldn’t really be any real sense of ‘me’ in that character’s behaviour… if you go down that path you soon find yourself suffering from a the very nasty phenomenon called Emotional Feedback.

This is when you have a raging in-character argument or fight with another character, and because you’ve allowed yourself to become to subsumed in that character you start to feel real, actual anger that feeds back into you, and God-help anyone who does this within an in-character romance.

It’s always important to keep a healthy detachment between who you are and who you play.

Emotional feedback is why some method actors sometimes end up profoudly messed up after subsuming themselves into their role. Dennis Hopper famously suffered so badly after his role of Frank Booth in Blue Velvet that he required months of counselling afterward.

3 Likes

I always thought about it as character just like it would be in the book, but I decide to some degree what will the character do rather than acting role as in the theater.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose.

True ! But you know these ppl ! Yikes !

tbh i like my orc dk better as female than male for the simple fact of how armor looks on her and i like the animations much better…also on horde every race male besides the blood elf is a hunch back

Names ending with ttv. Thought they died out years ago, but apparently ppl still use it.

Having x in the end of your name i expect you to be on a certain level when it comes to pvp.

Who cares. There’s people called ‘Mortgage’.

Bacause that’s how they express their primal rage… Or in general Primal something when it comes to Taurens

That is generally issue of people using their username or nickname with some affix for each of their character.
What else could promote your insignificant twitch stream channel that nobody care about better than using your twitch username as the name for your character.