How to level up a new char in one of the expansions

I’ll get straight to the point. I’ve not played retail WoW since early Cataclysm, after which I quit, only re-subbing when Classic was launched. Consequently I’m clueless when it comes to the current game. It’s all new and strange to me.

I’d like to give some of this new content a try.

• I read that after hitting level 10 it was possible to choose one of the game’s expansions to level in, for example, it’s no longer required to level up to 85 to enter Pandaria.

• I did ‘noob Island’ on Alliance (as everyone seems to call it) and got to level 10. But the quest trail takes me to Jaina Proudmoor on the docks, which will kickstart the Kul Tiras content.

• I don’t want to go to Kul Tiras, I’d like to check out Pandaria.

• The game makes no obvious attempt to tell me how to do this, and information on the internet is sketchy in the extreme.

• I’m reading conflicting things, some saying that I have to do a quest called ‘The King’s Command’ first - however I can find no method of starting this quest.

• Other sources say I must visit an adventure board in Stormwind, however there is nothing on the adventure board.

• Other sources say I must speak to Chromie first, however I cannot find her anywhere.

So, can anyone please tell me, in clear, precise terms what I need to do to get to Pandaria at level 10 and begin questing there.

Thanks very much.

Hey, the first time you have to level on BFA expansion till 50 in order to get familiar with the current events.

After that you can level in any expansion you want via talking to Chromie(outside the orgr or stormwind embassy) once you finish the starting area.

1 Like

Ah, so to answer my question, the answer is no - it has to be Kul Tiras or nothing. No method of going to Pandaria before level 50.

OK, at least I know where I stand, thank you.

1 Like

Can I just say that there DOES seem to be a method of accessing Chromie Time if you don’t have a L50 character on the account, or at least it’s showed up in my Adventure Journal.

I also spoke to a couple of players yesterday in game chat who said that they had done it themselves. The method involves finishing ‘Noob Island’, going to Stormwind, and completing the first quest in Kul Tiras, after which Chromie Time seems to become available.

I admit I haven’t actually tested it yet, but I intend to do so this evening.

Also there seem to be hints of a system in place that makes it possible to visit expansion areas without using Chromie Time, and they’ll be scaled roughly to your area. I can find very, very little information about this, how do do it, or what it entails, but it does seem possible.

Honestly, I’m amazed at how sparse information is available about this, and how so few people seem to understand it. I can’t remember when I last played a game with such obscure, unknown, undocumented mechanics :smiley:

1 Like

You mean Kul Tiras?

I saw someone say that, but it didn’t work for someone else who tried. Will be interesting to hear more results.

So true! I can’t believe we STILL have no official explanation about who counts as a “New Player” for starting restrictions, and how to get out of them. (There’s also something about the Newcomers Channel not going away …)

Yeah, Kul Tiras, my apologies. I’ve edited my post.

That frustrating PvP area in Cataclysm where we always lost every match must have been seared forever into my brain for all eternity.

1 Like

So, yes I can officially state that it IS perfectly possible to use Chromie Time on a brand-new character, even if you don’t have any other level 50s on the account.

Steps are:

1. Go to ‘Noob Island’
  2. Finish the quests there
  3. Fly back to Stormwind
  4. Take the ‘check out the stuff in Stormwind’ quest, with that Gnome tagging along, who promises to buy you a pint, but never does - last Gnome I’ll ever trust!
  5. Attend the meeting in the keep.
  6. Meet Jaina, sail to Kul Tiras, get thrown in jail.
  7. Break out, do the Boralus intro quests until you get to the Harbourmaster’s office.
  8. Chromie Time should now be visible in your Adventure Journal, accept the quest to meet Chromie.
  9. Take the portal back to Stormwind, meet Chromie.
  10. Select the expansion you wish to travel to and level up in.
  11. Bingo!

Hope this clears up any confusion, and is helpful to any other new characters wishing to do the same thing.

I’m still uncertain how to run the expansion content on a low level character without Chromie Time, nobody seems to know - but if you do know please feel free to add instructions on this thread.

2 Likes

Great info! Just one thing I’ve just came back to the game myself and have recruited and friend. This chromie thing is amazing and I’m excited to go through each expansion with a friend.

We want to do the first game first obviously how does that work do we just start in the starting zone for the race and follow the quest line ? Cause I’m assuming eventually it will try send us to BFA after level 10 if he doesn’t have shadowlands.

1 Like

Right… I’m pretty new to retail myself, and so absolutely not an expert. As far as I know Torghast is some kind of beetroot soup, and the Twisting Corridors are what happens when I’m drunk in my own home.

But I’ll try to answer as best I can.

As far as I know, if you ignore Noob Island when starting a new character, and just choose your home starting location - i.e Northshire Abbey, Valley Of Trials, Silvermoon, Gilneas, Teldrassil etc. You will be locked into the Cataclysm timeline, and from that point onward you’ll be questing in the old zones probably until around level 10, after which it may try to send to to Kul Tiras to begin BFA stuff.

I don’t know this absolutely for sure, as I’ve not tried starting in one of the home locations, but this my best educated guess.

If you want to do ONLY ‘old zones’ and not BFA, then if you follow the instructions in my earlier post, and select ‘Cataclysm’ from Chromie that ought to do it.

If you want to play content from before Cataclsym, then you’ll need to play WoW Classic, which is a far slower-paced game with much less quality of life features.

We want to do the first game first obviously how does that work do we just start in the starting zone for the race and follow the quest line ? Cause I’m assuming eventually it will try send us to BFA after level 10 if he doesn’t have shadowlands.

I think you would start in BfA then on next one you can do what ever. IF you follow the way Blizz intended. That is start Zone - Bfa - SL
The Vanilla stuff is now behind the Cata timeline, the zones were redone in Cata.
And the rest is as they were.

I have access too chromie but there is no option for the first story, so do you suggest cata first?

Yes, cata is the first story now + the 5 cata zones.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.