Huojin & Tushui

While true (I did choose Huojin for my first few pandaren for that reason) it should be noted that just because one side was right that specific time doesn’t mean it is always right.

Sometimes patience and consideration is the right option.

Which is another part of why Chieun has not joined either. There’s a time for both.

These kind threads are a bit shifty because picking a specific between Tushui and Huojin is picking one extremely specific and extreme way of belief, for all situations, ever. Both are needed, which is practically the whole conclusion that Aysa and Ji made in MoP

1 Like

It’s honestly not as specific as people make it out to be. Many think Tushui is about being slow and thinking things over needlessly, and that Huojin means to recklessly and thoughtlessly rush into things headfirst.

In truth the Tushui philosophy is more about personal values and morals > the end result, while Huojin is about result > means to get there.

That said, it’s dumb the philosophies are more or less associated with the faction pandaren groups.

4 Likes

The only real option is Huojin. Obviously I’m biased.
But to parrot what Shuang said, it doesn’t have to be as cut and dry as it can be reduced to. It may be wisest to act swiftly, but acting without considering your options or the most efficient route with the least losses is just reckless, and being reckless isn’t all that pandaren like.
That said, no one ever said the choices you have to make would he easy. A nice balance between the two would likely be best, if not for being funelled into one or the other because of game mechanics.
Hit me up if you wanna talk about it more!

3 Likes

Do the Huojin and Tushui schools of thought at all exist on mainland Pandaria? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them referenced by the people there. There are the Huojin and Tushui landings on the Timeless Isle, but I think the pandaren there are from the Wandering Isle.

Obviously Huojin is, the more fun choice, at least for me. Sure, you can be all wise and cautious and thinking things over in the background, but where’s the fun in that? I find it much more interesting to take initiative, jump in and make things happen rather than reacting as events unfold. Will you make bad calls or mess things up once in a while? Sure, but those moments can create some interesting RP for you.

To quote an appropriate Chinese proverb: “Pluck flowers as they bloom; wait and you’ll have only the twigs.”

5 Likes

There are none, no.

Personally, I had fun with the Huojin!

But in all honesty, it doesn’t matter what you choose. What matters is that you proprely roleplay the character you create. Pandaren are taught not to embrace their negative emotions and it adds a level of complexity to portaying the character correctly.

As much as I am not telling you not to roleplay a Pandaren, I am warning you that it might be a little different from other races out there.

P.S - Huojin rocks :metal:

5 Likes

Tushui philosophy reminds me of Wu Wei, which is summarised often as ‘result through inaction’. It’s a school of thought that promotes allowing the natural to take its course before achieving the intended result (and is so described like water, fitting the Tushui thematic). It pushed forth literature and the arts, as well as added to philosophy—it’s basically the Chinese version of Socratic thought.

I’m trying to think what Huojin are meant to be based on, if at all a part of Chinese philosophy.

Maybe that’s why I prefer the Tushui; it feels more thematic.

5 Likes

Aysa speaking with the ghost dude on the Wandering Isle further drills home Taoist philosophy imo

I’d say that Wang Yangming’s thoughts on how right and wrong can’t be separated from human action reflects Huojin philosophy enough. I think it was also some of the seven sages who believed acting by impulse was good?

Go Huojin or forever regret your choice

And what about Pandaren roleplay on each side? I know there’s Ronin on Horde. What do we have on Alliance?

There’s no Tushui guild currently to my knowledge. I started up one but sadly had to drop it as I won’t have time to guild lead in the foreseeable future.

To my knowledge Alliance pandaren guilds tend to be neutral IC.

I am very much interested in rping a pandaren but I have a really hard time choosing the faction. Wich side will fit my Wardancer more and where I will find RP fitting this kind of character

Well that depends on what you mean by ‘this kind of character.’ Who you are, after all, should be considered more closely than simply what race. If they’re without scruples, there are plenty of mercenary guilds on each side. If you’ve planned more than skin depth, however, then it’d be worth looking into more specialized guilds.
I won’t shill Ronin, as we have our thread and it’s already been mentioned, but we’re quite flexible with the sorts of characters that fit in.

1 Like

If you want to fight for a faction alongside other pandaren, then Ronin is likely your best and only choice (Alliance doesn’t even have a faction pandaren guild at the moment). If you want to remain neutral and fight for Pandaria, though, then you’ve got us, the Fallen Leaf, on the Alliance side.

2 Likes

The Fallen Leaf accepts not only the Pandaren, right?

Correct. The Fallen Leaf is open to other races as well, as I don’t believe running a pandaren only guild to be feasible after MoP as the pandaren race has passed the flavour of the month period and the player base has dwindled.

The Leaf’s focus, theme and goals are all focused on Pandaria and its defense, however, and that’s also where we spend more or less all of our time unless a storyline requires us to go elsewhere. With 8.3 coming and the Pandaria related content in it, it’s unlikely we’ll be leaving the continent any time soon either.

Which I keep contesting - my experience is that it would be viable, and while it would take effort that is hardly a problem with the Leaf.

But, it’s probably too late to make such a change now.

Though they have not made an announcement yet, I know that there’s another pandaren guild being made (neutral, Alliance side) called the Cerulean Ring, so we will see how that goes.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.