I am beyond words

I cant deal with It D:

1 Like

You happened to live in one of the countries/cities where Mandarin happens to be an official language. But even if you count all of those, it still doesn’t cover most of Asia.

Russia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Indonesia, Philippines… I could go on. You’ll find little to no success speaking Mandarin over there.

Clearly what you’re doing when you speak of Asia, you really mean China and it’s bordering countries, not the whole of Asia. Overall, you still have a higher or about equal chance with English.

Even in the countries most people will think of when you say Asia, like Japan and South Korea, people have no clue about any form of Chinese.

From what I understand, Chinese is a blanket term for a bunch of languages and Mandarin is one of them. But apparently they’re more like dialects rather than their own languages and every language under the Chinese blanket can understand each other.

1 Like

Were not talking about a European country.

Thank you i got what you mean :kissing_heart:

Chinese is Mandarin or Cantonese

You are beyond words so you spam the clown emoji

:+1:

3 Likes

We are talking about the broader usefullness of a language here right?

The reply i made was to your point that English could be used in Singapore (where Mandarin was even official language) but to a very small degree, my counter was to use Chinese in ANY European country, who would generally be understood more?

Did my point get across now?

I may have got it a bit wrong. It seems written Cantonese and Mandarin are mutually intelligible, but spoken not so much due to very different pronunciations. However both Mandarin and Cantonese are Chinese.

1 Like

No, my point was you could live in Singapore and use English in your everyday life because the majority speak it because it was a former British colony where they are taught English in school as a required subject, the same goes with western countries that have a higher than average western influence such as Taiwan, Japan, Hongkong.

Yes Chinese is an official language but that was never the point. The point was mandarin was more useful in Asai as a whole because even though you can live in former colonies and city-states constructed by the UK and US, you will need a translator for business if you want to go beyond that. Even in Japan, you will need a translator for the older generation.

I also was not talking to you, so I’m not surprised you didn’t grasp the conversation.

A Japanese translator, not Chinese… If you decide to stroll into Japan as an English speaker and take a Chinese friend with you, you’ll both get nowhere.

I would not recommend taking a chinese person around certain parts of Japan especially with the older generation. You will get somewhere but not the place you want to visit just yet.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with anything that’s being said but ok.

I was making a joke.

1 Like

Then it flew right over my head. Point stands, in the majority of the Asian continent, any Chinese is not useful at all, just like German isn’t useful in most European countries.

1 Like

… So your arguing from the point of business’s and trade deals now but in the same breath talk about needing translators so the need to learn is kinda mute. You are clearly moving the goalpost here to win the argument and gl with that. Im out.

1 Like

Im not arguing anything. Its not an argument. The need to learn is also not mute you want your child to learn so they have as many economic opportunities as possible around the world.

Why is everything an argument with you I never said I had a goal post this is something you’ve made up are you always combative with people for no reason?

Short answer : too much

1 Like

Teach them English if you want to give them as many economic opportunities around the world.

Teach them Chinese if you want to give them as many economic opportunities in China.

This is how it is, unless in light of recent news you expect to soon be taken over by China and Russia.

1 Like

Chinese is better in Asia for economic opportunities, it’s almost like more of the business you would be dealing with are Chinese even in Vietnam the bigger business are Chinese, the only competing economy china really has in Asia is Japan.

Fixed it for you.

There’s a lot of businesses that operate abroad, but that doesn’t mean they use the language of their country of origins in those other countries. You wouldn’t learn French if you were to go work for Peugeot in Sweden… you’d learn Swedish.

2 Likes