I decide what my name is, not you

But aye. My OOC name on this character is 100% not suited for a RP realm (It’s not on a RP realm luckily). And probably not suited for a normal realm either.

Which is the entire point. Something can be technically against a very vague document, but still be okay. There’s no qualifying factor for three words in that document. There’s even a two-word example.

However, Blizzard still approves because it fits the RP context. Strictly arguing over the naming policy is difficult on RP realms. At the end, Blizzard decides on a case by case basis. And I don’t see “Rabies” for a Worgen being a very high-profile case at that.

3 Likes

With how I see a lot of trolls RP that name is still arguably an RP name for some clowns

Hah… So if I server transfer this lad and make him a witch doctor using herbs, acidic mushrooms and what not to reach enlightenment, then it’s 10/10? :smiley:

Not my style of RP though, but a fun thought. Still, I think it’s a little too “druggy” of a name. Probably not suited. But at least it’s part of the 3-word-gang

I think the reference to drugs would set Blizzard off there…

Yup… My thought as well ^^

Could go with Shroomlord.

Yes. Concur 100%.

However, as for gate-keeping, this thread wasn’t about his name at the start. The dude came here looking to merge a non-RP raiding guild into his own non-RP raiding guild, acting in a massively entitled way. His name was just -one- thing that was picked up on, and the conversation focused on that, we could easily have taken issue with several other things, but that;s not how the conversation went. His name, and names like it, are one of the red flags for an OOCer, or a person who doesn’t care about this being an RP realm. If they cannot even be bothered to make a fantasy name on an RP realm, then they’re already suspect (present debate over two-name surnames notwithstanding). You might think that being this focused is a bad thing, but we’ve seen what happens when we’re too liberal: dead RP realms. The risk just isn’t worth it.

If people want to try RP, they can cross-realm or make a 110 trial. If people want to ask about RP, there are the forums, or they can /w people ingame, we’re a friendly bunch when people just want to ask questions. But we do have standards, high ones, because we’d like to keep what we’ve got, as Argent Dawn is all that’s left.

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/n3JdW3M.png

Directly goes to show that factually speaking Rabies is not a valid name on an RP realm.

1 Like

I see! I just came home from work, so I had no idea what the original thread was about. Thought the lad was just trying to show his RP guild or something.

I don’t think, at the very core, we disagree. I want to let RP prosper as much as possible on AD as well and would prefer it had no OOC’ers. I just don’t think the last part you mentioned with people doing those things such as whispering people ingame or making a 110 trial with a correct RP name will happen in most cases.

High standars are important, but new RP’ers (such as when I started) didn’t even realize RP had such a “high standard culture”, if you could call it that. I’m just trying to argue, that we cannot expect previous OOC’ers trying to step into RP to not occasionally misstep.

Don’t take my post as defending OOC’ers or those who troll or grief RP. That’s not at all healthy for the server and should be reported. But there’s obviously a grey area of newbies, who are curious about RP, but also clueless and will not live up to the standards at first, if ya’ get me.

But as you said, a lot of us are friendly, so we will help / guide them if needed.

1 Like

I don’t think it can happen because aren’t 110 trail characters stuck on that bloody airship, learning skills and stuff?

They can make it out if they use HS I think?

yeah
10 char

No, i was not.

I came from a LARP background and an Rp chatroom background and when I rolled onto my first RP server (which was Moonglade), i rolled with the intent to RP.

Oh, I didn’t know.

I don’t really use that feature, as you can probably tell. :rofl:

Well you do need to do the tutorial but afterwards you can hearth out :slight_smile:

I take it back then ^^ You’re right. some people have a RP background from other games, but not everyone

I think you can hearth out without doing the tutorial. I might be wrong

And (as far as I am aware) the OP never claimed that this was the character’s birth name. And the reason we have addons such as TRP is precisely because our character names can’t always be the character’s real name. Even if your character is named “Robert” IC, there is a good chance that “Robert” is already taken. In which case you either:

• Change the name to something else and use TRP to still use the name “Robert”.
  • Rename your character completely, considering the implication is that your char name is the “real” name. So unless you want to be “Robbbert”…

This entire GM response boils down to: “Well, yes, but actually there’s context. There’s the document, but there’s some leeway. And there are nicknames, but characters have a real name too, which should be the character name.” Which leaves out the fact that not everyone can be “Robert”. It’s impossible. How does the GM account for that?

The point Leia made still stands: report the name if you find it offensive/unfitting and let Blizzard decide based on their definition of events and context.

I think you can hearth out without doing the tutorial. I might be wrong

You could when I boosted with Shadowlands.

3 Likes

It’s a good way to NPC for events or test out concepts.