I don't get it

Have they sneak-merged the two PvP clusters?
That’s good news for the PvP people if true.

Sorry to ask, Dottie, but which realm fo yuo play on?

I don’t play Classic Era, I play TBC Classic on Pyrewood Village.

I have logged onto Classic Era a few times and every time I only see one or two people, even at busy times.

I find the amount of auctions on the AH a good simile for populations.

This man gets it.

People forget that mmorpg’s aren’t about beating the game, the end goal, glory and e-pp status. It’s interacting and playing with other people in a massive online role play game.
Do people really think we all rushed to 60 - 70 back in vanilla and tbc? Only to run the same raid 10 times a week and log off? we had 1-2 raid nights a week and we spent all other nights playing the game. Making fun with other people.

All the micro events in the Shadowlands callendar are all based on classic community self made events.

The shift you so perfectly described, first started in WOTLK where Blizzard started to tailor the game to the wishes of people that were struggling with clearing any content either due to lack of understanding the game or time. So they enhanced LFG.

This was a welcomed feature for many people , I didn’t even hate it that much.
Than Cataclysm came and suddenly you’re the hero the diety a god figure of azeroth and the seeds of a very linear theme park ride were planted and fully sprouted in to the beautiful single player game called shadowlands.

Every time I see people wanting to buy a boost I literally read:

I lack social skills and I have no friends to play with.
I don’t know how to play this game and want to pushed to max and have no idea what to do.

This is what I read when people are selling boost:

I can’t do basic math and can’t figure out that regular simple farm methods will generate more gold revenue on a gold per minute ratio compared to boosting.

People hate leveling a 3rd character… why do it?
People want to experience end game content with a different game play!
Face roll as a warrior isn’t much different from face rolling on a warlock.
It’s classic, there’s no high skill cap or learning curve. the content has been cleared by idiots playing the game with 14 fps and 0 information or support addons and guides telling them waht to do and when to do it and 10 minutes in advance.

I know, I was there 15 year ago! and for what?! Only to see impatient zoomers with a attention span of 3 seconds stomp a intended game play in to the ground because they can’t figure it out or experience it.

And the funny part of it all…

When they reach max level they all complain there’s not much to do only 1 raid per week…

Socialize! you’re in a mmo! make your own fun and content jeez.

“Nah, imma go play FFXIV! streamers that ckhold my wallet by pretending to like me, are playing it and they say it’s pretty lit and social”

And what does the massive migration of anti social zoomers do in FFXIV? same trash they do in wow.

There’s 100’s of people palying ffxiv… all minding their own business and lfg is exactly the same… you queue, you click accept, you run the dungeon and 0 interaction in chat what soever.

Might as well just stick to FPS games, even the cod communtiy has more social skill than the average wow player these days, and that’s really shocking.

A cod kid might tell me to have my way with my mom but at least he’s communicating with me.

4 Likes

well known phenomenon, referred to as “tragedy of the commons” in economics

People will generally choose the path of least resistance. It’s part of a developer’s responsibility to ensure the content remains enjoyable, regardless of where the player is in their journey, as well as make the final call when something is too convenient and harm the game’s long-term sustainability.

Personally I don’t buy the whole “it’s what people just do nowadays” spiel. People adapt to their surroundings, but if an easier alternative is made available that alternative will always become de facto normal. In this case Blizzard made the decision to add an option that is too convenient and hurt the game’s long-term sustainability for the sake of short term profit. Had the boost never been made official, most people would just shrug it off and continue playing like normal. Games like the original Dark Souls – Which came out during the peak of what many considered the “handholding era” stands as a testament that what game developers do isn’t necessarily tied to what people actually want, and that said players can adapt.

One of the duties Blizzard failed with in regards to their classic program was that they did not perform maintenance on behaviour that didn’t match the vision, as well as didn’t take away some of the players toys when it was clearly too powerful. Though, part of this was the community’s responsibility as well with the incredibly hostile stance with the “no changes” movement pre-classic and their very binary idea of what “preserving the classic experience” even meant. Ultimately people preferring to boost is normal but unhealthy. The problem is Blizzard promoting the practice by making it even easier to do.

As far as I’m concerned, if private servers were an over-exaggeration of classic, then Blizzard’s variant was a mediocre one, neither quite hit the mark. And now, it’s just a different product altogether.

Not really a response to the topic in general, but yes. Official classic / TBCC has developed a lot of unhealthy practices that makes the game smaller and worse-off. But I can’t blame the players for it because of the human element I mentioned at the start, but that doesn’t mean they should have those unhealthy practices either. No matter how much they complain about something taking more time and/or effort.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.