I hope Blizzard reads this (spoilers) Malfurion in DF

So I do hope Blizz reads this (though I be surprised if they don’t) but I need to get this down.

There is going to be Spoilers so if you don’t want that, please leave otherwise thank you for reading this rant post.

[Spoilers]

So in the latest PTR build of Dragonflight, it is hinted that for Ysera to be revived, a great sacrifice is required though Ysera said ‘if Elune will’s it’ but I wonder if this was forgotten? Anyway here is the datamined dialogue:

Tyrande: Ysera, your flight needs you.
Tyrande: We need you.
Tyrande: Whatever the price may be for your return to Azeroth, name it.
Malfurion: Tyrande…
Tyrande: Tell us!
Malfurion: It’s me.
Malfurion: I must be the one to stay.
Tyrande: What?
Malfurion: Ysera knows this – though she would never ask it of me.
Tyrande: No.
Tyrande: We will find another way.
Malfurion: When she gave her life for mine in Val’sharah, it was not her time.
Malfurion: And now… the balance may be restored.
Tyrande: Then… then I will stay as well.
Tyrande: Shandris and the others can…
Malfurion: Tyrande…
Malfurion: Should everything we hope come to pass, the Kaldorei will need you.
Tyrande: I am so tired, Malfurion.
Tyrande: Do not ask this of me.
Tyrande: After everything we have endured…
Malfurion: My love.
Malfurion: You have always been the strength of our people.
Malfurion: They will follow you ever onward, and you will never be alone.
Tyrande: Until I see you again…
Tyrande: I will dream of the night we may truly rest… together.

Seriously?! What about ‘if Elune wills it’? Why Malfurion? Why any of this?! Do you guys hate Night Elves? Their home is gone. Their people who died are in a seed (though maybe or hopefully this comes into play regarding this and Malfurion later on) and Tyrande was able to overcome the Night Warrior curse. But now you have to take away her mate and the Kaldorei’s Archdruid? Can’t the night elves have a break?

So Malfurion saying Ysera gave her life for his isn’t entirely accurate. For one Malfurion fell in Xavius trap and wasn’t killed (he likely had a plan to but clearly not right then and there) Ysera went after him to try to save him but failed and become corrupted. It was us, the players, who ended up saving Malfurion. He wasn’t entirely responsible for Ysera’s death. Yes he did a stupid thing going after Xavius after he corrupted Cenarius but Ysera made the choice to go despite not having her Aspect powers anymore. She stood no chance. I know many of you may disagree on this and that’s fine because, in the grand view of all this, Malfurion was both not and is responsible, at least for his dumb choice which indirectly lead to Ysera’s death but I’ll stop here on that point.

Ysera’s death was tragic and heartbreaking but it was a good storyline to watch in Legion. And this sacrifice thing is a put of a spit in the face to that imo.

Fast forward to Shadowlands, Ysera’s soul is repaired by the Winter Queen’s own personal essence, meaning Ysera’s soul is now bound to Ardenweald and not the Emerald Dream any longer. She knew she can no longer walk on Azeroth because of this (one of the better things we saw in SL imo) so now her daughter, Merithra, is the unofficial leader of the green dragonflight. I think she had a good starting point in BFA, seeing her try to overcome her own doubts to fit her mother’s shoes. And her Aunt the Dragon Queen herself is there to support her! Why can’t we instead develop her grow as a dragon unsure of herself to becoming a worthy successor to Ysera’s legacy instead of this sacrifice plot?

Of course this is all just based on what was in the datamine and not the whole story is revealed yet. Maybe Malfurion makes a comeback and it’s related to the seed of renewal Tyrande got at the end of Shadowlands? I don’t know why Tyrande thinks (going by the dialogue) that this will be the last time she’ll see him even though it’s still possible to travel between Azeroth and the Shadowlands. Look at the Forsaken questline that came out recently. They were still able to go to the Shadowlands despite the portal being closed.

Overall this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This is all early days. Maybe this won’t be in the final game or something will happen later in DF to make all this make sense. To me, I don’t think this is something Ysera would do unless she was REALLY needed back in Azeroth and … I don’t think she is really needed.

So here are my thoughts. I hope Blizzard read this. It makes me wonder if they need a WoW lore nerd on their time to make sure their lore is being consistent. I guess we can only wait and see what is to come. But after Shadowlands, my hopes are dwindling even more and they were raised a bit from the DF reveal. But imo, this just shows, Blizzard don’t care about the Night Elves. The Forsaken got their home back and have a much more hopeful future. Why this Blizz? Just why?

Maybe Elune finally does something special for these two?

4 Likes

of course they hate night elves the ne aren’t horde and you know Ion and his team of losers are FOR THE HORDE to the point that it makes both factions look bad :smiley:

3 Likes

The problem is that , since he’s too strong, a sacrifice like this one is the only way for the writers to get rid of him, so something like this was bound to happen to him sooner or later anyway

(he could have been killed during the war of thorns but then maybe Sylvanas wouldn’t have had the justification to burn Teldrassil if she had managed to kill part of the Night Elf leadership before that happened? And also the fans and players would have complained a lot more about his death there back then, saying Malfurion would be a weakling on top of being incompetent too…)

1 Like

Sylvanas burned the tree down for misguided, stupid reasons in SL that still hurts my brain. I’d argue there are stronger druids out there such as Broll Bearmantle.

2 Likes

Despite being a Hordie fanboii, I stand with you Nova! Turn the night elves into feral savages that rip horde bases apart with root and claw, glaive and spear! Let them reclaim their homelands and the roots of their ancient empire grow! no more happy treehugger elves! Give me a challange worthy to fight!

2 Likes

Basically like they were in WC3 when they could attack the Humans and Orcs at the same time…but being part of the Alliance completely changed their characterization and potential as a lot of their stuff had to be removed in order to stay in that faction, pretty bad decision in my opinion gameplay-wise, and even lore-wise it makes sense after WC3 they would just stay neutral rather than joining a faction that was barely present in Kalimdor as the seat of power of the Alliance was in the EK and they cannot really defend the Night Elves if the Orcs attack…

It was about time the alliance starts losing characters. Hope many more will follow.

3 Likes

The Night Elves and Blood Elves need to be the best showing of what the Darnassian and Thalassian Elves have to offer.

Void Elves and Nightborne are little more than smaller slices of Darnassians and Thalassians.

2 Likes

Because further crapping on a race that’s been shafted more or less every expansion, is the best thing ever. Never mind the fact that they still haven’t gotten justice for being genocided, or that they are still left being refugees in Stormwind.
Let’s murder off their named characters as well. It’ll be great.
The hatred Blizzard keep showing the nelves is quite frankly mind-boggling.

5 Likes

Indeed like as they were described in WC3!

1 Like

Maybe it’s a sign.

Play the Horde mana-addict night elves and not the regular Alliance night elves.

I don’t really plan to start now

I’m honestly not too outraged. Not because I don’t care about the lore, but because I think I have outrage fatigue after Shadowlands. It’s also one; because I expect night elves to get shafted somehow as it appears to be expansion law by now.

And two, because I interpret it as Malfurion being in Shadowlands is not unlike how Sylvanas is “jailed” in the Maw. Both are generally only dead/gone for as long as the current person in charge of the story decides that they are. Seeing how neither do actually die, but merely walk over to the other realm they can as easily walk back the moment Blizzard decides they need to return. They might even change their strength as they do so to to make them easier to write around (not that I think either character have been perticularly well - or consistently - written for the last few expansions, but that’s a different gripe).

I imagine it’s done for the reasons mentioned that he’s gotten too powerful (why even make him that powerful then?) for the story that they want to tell. And this was the more dramatic way to have him temporarily bow out while getting Ysera back.

Speaking of, I’m more miffed that it undermines the impact of Ysera’s sacrifice and death. Her storyline gets a bow tied around it as we follow it to how she accepts her now bound connection to Ardenweald, and is content to remain there while her daughter (a fairly new character) takes over the flight (and get needed spotlight). It felt like a nice conclusion I’m now a little cheated of.

2 Likes

Malfurion should die. Full stop. Tyrande too. It is about time the alliance loses something they hold dear.

I think stay in SL is not the end for Malfurion, story can bring him later. Same as Sylvanas in the Maw, her goal can be completed.

On other hand look in Forsakens, they are on worse situation, then Nelfs. Loose Sylvanas bound, loose identity and to be honest I dislike Calia future for them.

simpvans will never complete her goal there are a infinite amount of souls in the maw

It makes you think that Malfurion was suppose to die by Saurfangs hand in Battle For Azeroth and be resurrected in Ardenweald but then Blizzard thought that Ysera would be a more grander fit for the Ardenweald storyline (seriously imagine how lame it would have looked if the winter queen used her power to resurrect bird boy instead of a mighty dragon)

Then they realized they needed Ysera for Dragonflight (instead of developing her daughter who has been over looked again) and retconned it so Malfurion is now in Ardenweald and forgotten about and more stuff can be done with Ysera

lol, and these two being Mary Sue over the last 5 expansions NOT VERY special? Completely unpunished extermination of furbolgs and goblins is also not very special? Victims of dozens of characters, in particular the murder of Nathanos in a doocking cinematic is not enough? Nathanos, the legendary ranger, famous from the classic, a character with a real spirit and a cameo was thrown out for the sake of a MUH TEEEERANDA. Illidan was again banished to the other side of the galaxy simply because someone had to smell the muh tyrande’s feet.
Your race and your characters have always been some kind of midschool theatrical improvisation project and in DF you will understand what it’s like for the horde every expansion, where its leaders are slaughtered one by one, regardless of the depth of his role, just to please a last 10 remaining alliance players.

3 Likes

Could not have it said better myself. Those alliance simps will never understand how bad Blizzard treats the Horde.

1 Like

They don’t Undercity is still not avaiable to be entered. Also Sylvanas and Nathanos are gone. Meanwhile all screentime in Shadowlands went to Tyrande. THe Horde was ignored just like in Legion.