I love SV hunter

For full damage potential yes, we don’t have ranged auto-attacks, even with Aspect of the Eagle on, so Taigertraps is right on that acessment.

Now, I am guessing most of us play it changing back and forth between melee and ranged depending on the situation and/or personal preference, etc… Taigertraps included I would bet, but when it comes to slapping a stamp on a spec to call it melee or ranged, you have to consider what Taiger mentions. In which range was the spec designed to have full damage potential? In SV case, it was melee, so by definition it is a melee class, despite being able to fight well enough from range without a great loss of DPS.

You must not have played this iteration of Survival if you think this. The maximum time a Survival Hunter can be out of melee range of their target without losing DPS is 3.6 seconds - which is our unmodified auto-attack swing speed.

Thanks god for this surv, old was boring af, especially in wod. Never had so much fun playing surv as i got since Legion.
reasons:

• a lot of utility / survivability
  • more dynamic than any hunters spec

idk, played surv whole bfa and was happy
waiting for 9.0.5 to check venthyr’s surv

1 Like

With those red eyes if you weren’t Venthyr I’d be disappointed ahah.

1 Like

Best thing about SV.

More animations on single melee ability than most other classes have on whole cit

Worst thing. Low ST dmg.

You are waiting venthyr buff from a pvp or pve perspective?

in pvp
/10 chars

I was intrigued by flayed shot, however my main is already venthyr and i find flahcraft too good against shadow door to drop necrolord.
The buffed flayed shot is great tbh.

However i am proudfully a maldraxxian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doesn’t work that well in pvp. You gotta kite allot and that means you’re gonna spend time out of melee range.

But that’s not what we were talking about. One thing is how we play the spec, another is the way it was designed to reach maximum DPS. In order to classify it, the latter is what matters.

You can use a Saber to thrust, but it does not make it a thrusting sword it is still fundamentaly a cutting sword because that’s what it was designed to do primarily, just like a Rapier is the polar opposite as a specialized thrusting sword despite being able to do minor cuts. Same for Survival, it can play in ranged and we hop between both things, but the design is meant for primarily melee fighting, just like MM can fight in melee but isn’t a melee spec.

Let’s break it down a bit more, now that I got home and I can freely write.

SV could almost be called a hybrid spec, but there are several features of the spec that simply do not match with a hybrid, and in fact prove it is melee.

One of the things is the obvious clash between Kill Shot and the auto-attacks. How? Well, Kill Shot can only be used if we have a melee weapon equipped, but if you are not in melee range you can not auto-attack, if you swap to, let’s say, a bow you can now auto-attack outside melee range but you can’t use Kill Shot, so just this simple fact that you can’t do both these things from outside melee range, you either do one or the other, is proof enough that it is a melee spec and not a hybrid or even a ranged spec like someone else said above.
Further things that clash with a true hybrid playstyle, besides the autos being melee:

• Weapon swap in combat goes on the GCD which is a major issue;
  • Our slow can only be used in melee;
  • Our silence can only be used in melee;
  • Harpoon requieres a melee weapon in order to be used (wouldn’t be an issue if weapon swap was off the GCD).

Now we may ask the question, how would SV be a true hybrid?
Basicly by fixing the things I mentioned above:

• Give SV a passive in which it can swap weapon in combat without going on the GCD, or, rework Aspect of the Eagle into being an ability that swaps weapon between 2 pre-destined slots, one for a melee weapon and another for a ranged weapon;
  • Make Kill Shot also usable with a ranged weapon equipped;
  • Make our silence and slow usable from range if we have a ranged weapon equipped, or, gives us also both the ranged versions of those spells (Counter Shot and Concussive Shot), or, even better just replace Muzzle and Wing Clip by Counter Shot and Concussive Shot, either of these options would solve;
  • Make Arcane Shot interact with all other spells and talents that Raptor Strike does. For example, the Mongoose Bite talent would replace Arcane Shot by Mongoose Shot which would work just the same way, except from range (same for other talents);
  • Replace Steady Shot (which we don’t really need) with something like Multi Shot or something similar, in order to replace Carve in the ranged rotation and make it also interact with the same stuff as Carve does. Example, Butchery would turn Multi Shot into Butcher Spin, shooting 360, as a ranged version of current Carve.

After all those changes then yes, we could finally call Survival a true hybrid.
However, now you ask “But Fuyutsuki, why would we even play it melee? If we would have the exact same stuff but from outside melee range which is safer, so we would simply just play it as a ranged spec”.
Well, gives us a movement speed debuff (or a damage debuff, or some sort of other hindrance) when we are using the ranged weapon, just bad enough so that we want to primarily be melee, but not too bad that it’s not viable to go ranged, makes have to choose “in this situation is it worth to go ranged despite the debuff?” in most situations the answer should be no, but there should also be plenty where the answer would be yes, like when fighting bosses that have strong melee AoE for example.

In conclusion, SV is definitly a melee spec in it’s current state, it simply is unique in the sense that it can fight decently from outside the melee range without major drawbacks like most of the other melees in the game.

2 Likes

My opinion? They shoul delete every ranged residual and focus properly on melee combact style

For example, reducing the wildbomb and venom sting range to an almost melee metric but increasing the burst damage and also the delayed over time damage

1 Like

I wouldn’t be against that, as long as it worked well.
However I have to say the idea of being a true hybrid does appeal to me, and makes sense for the class. I mean, swapping between a bow and a sword (for example) to fight at different distances depending on what you want/need is something no other class in the game does, and it would give us a nice niche spot, for example in raids we could either fill the spot of a ranged or a melee, and adapt through the raid depending on the need, without having to change spec and/or changing the playstyle completely.

If that proves to be a problem implementing then yes, I agree on the full melee focus.

good morning i think most people in this hunter forum know my feeling on survival hunter, we are not a hybrid we are a hunter period switching between weapon is easily done with out being on a global cd.

for those that dont understand how to do this is very simple drag your meleee weapon from the wardrobe pane where your stats and gears .

drag melee weapon to action bar sword or polarem.
drag your bow or gun to action bar.
simple swich between the 2 my advice when you disengage thats the time to change weapon try it yourself its very easy change whatever you need for the sitiation. harpon to score a kill with flanking strike hehe!

remember playing is survival is about fun just takes a little patience and knowledge of how your class responds to situations we melee and range a true hunter as rexxar say blood and thunder my friend tigether we fight:)

1 Like

It always goes on the GCD if you are in combat, no matter how you do it.

harpon is on global cd luv, not changing weapon you can still use most of the abilities just to be clear :slight_smile: but you can still put out alot of damge even with a bow.

No it is not… Do you even play the spec?

Are you trying to teach me obvious things about my main spec? Or are you just trolling?

yes i play the spec since it came out of a spec i know it to well, i’m not trying to tell you how to play your class or trolling this is a hunter forum ppl come here for advice im just giving ppl a few tips how to do something, i;m not trolling.

number 1 harpon is cd if you have used it . that’s all.

ive also just got up hon.

How can you say that you play the spec and are giving tips, but then you say 2 things that are completly wrong???

Changing weapon in combat always goes on the GCD in all specs in all classes, no matter how you do it.

Harpoon IS NOT on the GCD.

Or maybe you don’t know what the GCD is. The GCD (Global Cooldown) is the 1 second in which you can not press anything else after you press an ability. Most abilities do that, but some (like Harpoon) don’t.

1 Like

let me put this in perspective for you yes i know what global cd is but my question is once you say switched from melee weapon to bow why would you swich back in 1 seconds? the point is if you change weapon is your surrounding that dictate why you changing in the 1st place that 1 second is irrelavant. and yes harpon is actualy on a global cd if you used it as soon as you use the ability it need to recharge unless you have talented into it.