If someone from Microsoft will ever read this

Please convince these primadonnas called WoW devs we don’t want borrowed power anymore and that their recent game design is poor and nobody enjoys it. Thank you in advance.

49 Likes

Ive read it and your welcome

Typing noises

6 Likes

Dont Think They Will read it. Sry to say it

2 Likes

They won’t read it because it’ll be at least 2 years before an MS dev gets involved with the project.

The buyout wasn’t based on features of any individual game in the ActiBlizz portfolio, it was based on $70bn worth of competition.

4 Likes

chances of forums being read even smaller now bro xp

I don’t think so. Microsoft usually listens to feedback so if the next expansion will be received similarly they will intervene. Just look at AoE 2: DI. They listen to feedback release balance patches every few months and new DLC yearly with new civs. And this is 20 y.o. game.

3 Likes

turst me bruh, I can save you a lot of time, no one in charge has ever read these forums and when microsoft takes over, which isn’t for another year or something so this post is 100% useless anyway, I doubt this forum will still be around

Just repost once Microsoft takes over

Just keep it bumped for the next 2 years easy.

1 Like

I think, the first of all, somebody should go to some popular NA twitter and tell them that PvP players have rights too.

Hey, at least he tried. But I have to agree with the OP.

Alot of people like borrowed powers, its just the forums that like to whine about it

Game would be really boring if we had no borrowed powers

Do you know any besides you? Or do you have any proof for that? The way I see it is that every platform: reddit, forum and twitter is spammed with people not liking it and I rarely see people defending it.

6 Likes

I don’t know a single person that likes borrowed power and systems that aren’t “just get max lvl and gear and you done lmao”.

Me.

Challenge accepted.

To me, from a design and gameplay perspective, then borrowed power is the glue that binds the different activities in WoW together so that WoW presents itself as a single game experience.

If you imagine WoW without any of this borrowed power stuff, then it would be quests, dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, and arenas (dismissing some niche activities, I know).
And these activities would basically exist in their own vacuum.
Quests would just reward currency and gear.
Dungeons would just reward currency and gear.
Raids would just reward currency and gear.
Battlegrounds would just reward currency and gear.

And in that system the only metric to pursue as a form of power is gear. That’s oldschool WoW where raiding rewards the best gear. And if you raid and get your gear from raiding, then you have no reason to do anything else in the game, because you’re already tapping into the best that the game has to offer. There’s no incentive to do anything else except raiding. Why run a dungeon that offers gear that’s inferior to that which you get from raiding?
And if you don’t raid, then you’re stuck playing second violin and getting gear that isn’t as good as the gear from raiding. And there’s no way to progress within activities like questing or doing dungeons, except to move onto activities that reward better gear, like raiding or arenas.
This design is the origin of the good ol’ saying: Raid or Die.

The only players who benefits from the above design, are the players who just want to raid and do nothing else, because this allows them to do exactly that.
And then some PvPers believe this design is the second coming of Christ as well, because they make the (dangerous!) assumption that Blizzard will also implement a scaling system or gearing system for PvP to ensure that PvP gear is always the best in PvP. And then they too can just queue for PvP all the time without caring about anything else. But that’s an assumption that is wobbly at best.

But everyone else are pretty much screwed and left with a game experience that exists in a vacuum that is inferior to raiding.
Why do dungeons if the gear rewarded is worse than the gear from raiding?
Why do quests if you don’t make any meaningful character progression at all?

The genius of borrowed power is that it provides a glue – often in the form of a currency – that provides incentive to engage in all the various aspects of the game, no matter who you are and what your focus is.
Suddenly it becomes worthwhile to do quests even if you’re a raider, because the Artifact Power you get is useful for leveling your Artifact Weapon.
Suddenly it becomes worthwhile to do arenas even if you’re a dungeon runner, because Echoes of Ny’alotha are relatively easy to acquire through arenas.
And the player who just does casual questing can still experience a meaningful form of character progression, because quests provide currency that allows the player to level up their Heart of Azeroth.

And then you end up playing World of Warcraft and not World of Arenas or World of Raiding.

Now, that being said, the criticism around borrowed power is fairly ambiguous and different players attribute different meaning to it. Criticism about non-gear oriented character progression systems versus criticism about expansion-specific or temporary power progression, for example.

And for the latter criticism, being the point about doing a lot of work to make your character more powerful, just to see Blizzard soft reset it all in the next patch or expansion, then that’s probably more of a balance to strike than a firm yes or no to it.
With WoW seemingly continuing to add more patches and expansions for years and years, the game can’t just keep piling permanent power progression on top of permanent power progression. Our characters would quickly become amalgamations of monstrous power and absurd gameplay if we could just pile the Artifact weapon on top of the Heart of Azeroth and Corrupted items and 4, 5, 6 or more legendaries and Soulbinds and Covenants and Netherlight Crucibles and so on. It quickly gets absurd and ridiculous to the point where even level 19 twinking or timewalking twinking seems moderate by comparison.
So the nature of the game necessitates some form of a soft recurring power reset.
But I do think that many players (myself included) and Blizzard, recognize that this also needs to be balanced with some form of permanent character progression, so you get the feeling that WoW is one long journey and not 8 individual and isolated expansion playthroughs.

But yeah, borrowed power has gotten rather stigmatized, but if you dig into the substance of the design, then it’s hard to get around the fact that WoW really needs some character progression systems that makes players want to engage in the various gameplay aspects beyond just doing it “for the fun of it”. Because when it gets to that point, that’s when players usually just quit because there’s “nothing to do”.
And once you recognize that these systems need to exist in some form or capacity, then you also have to recognize that they can’t all be 100% permanent character progression, because power creep is a very real thing in a 17+ year old MMORPG.

1 Like

Sure dude…they just spent 70billion so they can change colour of the walls in stormwind and influence the drop rates of battle pets.

Lets be a little bit real there…nothing will change in the game it will stay the same. Nobody in Microsoft gives a flying F about specific issues in the game…its just buisness for them.

1 Like

That’s exactly why they will make changes to the game. Activision’s way was low effort, max income - short term gain while Microsoft is rather long term gain oriented. Making the game good is one of ways of increasing income and it’s long term goal oriented approach.

Ye if the game goes to the poopcity they will say “hey morons make it better”…sure.

But if ppl think in 2023 it will be in Microsoft headquarters something like “Ok boys, deal is done…lets talk about artifact weapons and why are enhancement shamans bad”…then i think theyre delusional. Just my opinion.

1 Like

wow what a surprise jito is defending whatever the devs made.

ure not sane dude

3 Likes

I rather think it will look like this. “Why are the game reviews that low? From tomorrow Mr. X won’t be the game director of World of Warcraft anymore. He will be replaced by Mr. Y - our veteran Microsoft developer.” They will review feedback like they do with Age of Empires and then implement changes. They might hire some contractors to improve the amount of resources for quick fixing the issues and then new game director will lead the project to the other direction. That’s how it’s usually done when company takes over.

Keep in mind that Activision/Blizzard (not Blizzard Entertainment) as publisher was putting deadlines and putting pressure on teams. They cut resources and fired a lot of stuff to maximize income. Microsoft now will be responsible for such decisions so there is chance for improvement.