I'm a Mac user should I delete the game?

I returned to WOW recently and downloaded the game again on my new iMac, I purchased BFA and pre-purchased Shadowlands, I then proceeded to choose a couple of my characters to lvl up first, that’s when the issues began. If I came across a busy area or joined a dungeon and graphically the fight kicked off my mac would freeze for up to 30 seconds and then sometimes shutdown or unfreeze if the fight had ended. I submitted the crash reports to the Mac crashes and freezes topic in the technical support forum and watched daily as the replies kept coming.
So far Blizz have seemingly down nothing to fix the issue, in fact after the update last night the issue is now worse, my mac just stays frozen until I switch off my computer. Now I can only assume that Blizz test these patches on macs and therefore must have been aware of the issues, so is it that they simply cannot fix the issue and therefore that might explain the stonewall silence?- I have played wow since 2008 and it’s with a heavy heart that I have to ask my self this question- Should I just delete the game and never return to again? Is this what all mac users must do?

PC master race!

But on topic, mac is sort of notoriously known for not being able to keep up with certain games.
I guess you have tried lower settings and so on right?

6 Likes

You should generally don’t play complex games on Mac-PCs or notebooks. It’s okay if you want to be trendy and in an bubble-economy - however, for gaming, you need a proper machine.

It’s the same with my ARMS-chip notebook. I have around 15 hours of battery time on this thing but it’s not designed to do more than usual stuff. You have the same issue with your Mac. Get a normal PC setup for gaming.

14 Likes

What kind of GPU does your Mac have? How much Ram? Did you install the newest drivers?

1 Like

I play on a MacBook (I know!) and have similar issues when I neglect to keep it updated but as long as I make sure I run the updates on it WoW runs ok aside from lag which is a combination of playing on a MacBook and not having the fastest internet.

Try running the first aid on your Mac and seeing if it help, I sometimes find that improves things too.

2 Likes

I have a 2015 Mac desktop, Mac os Catalina, 3.1GHz quad core i5, 8gb ram

Should be fine to play WoW with. After they introduced Metal it’s been fine, not as good as PC but most games that aren’t super demanding run smoothly enough to be playable now.

actualy it seems to be the norm now, if you do not update you system be it a pc or mac, it will stall, I am on a pc and if I do not update it, it can stall for no real reason at all,

Not a most recent iMac :thinking: have you try to lower the graphic card setting on WoW? I start play WoW with a MacMini, but in 2006 the game wasn’t eager of top graphic cards.

I used to play on a mac , I had sooo many issues , I remember when the new character models came out, I wasn’t able to play WoW for 3 weeks, I changed , it was like a new game !

I’m playing the game with the game graphics set to 1. This freezing happens in any expansion if there is enough activity. My mac meets the desired minuim according to Blizz.

You should shoot they guy that conned you into buying an Apple-Computer (or any Apple-product for that matter).

6 Likes

Really? I can go up to 4 with alomst no issues. When I do have some I just reboot the machine

Raids are apart history, I have often graphics slowdown though my pc have a nvidia graphic card with 2gb ram sometimes during boss encounters, but not freezings yet. Work fine whatsoever for questing and dungeons. iMac wasn’t be great for their graphic cards, alas (maybe newly ones).

I just checked and my Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 is listed as a supported video card.

No delete your mac instead
As a serious response, do you have anything like resource monitors on your mac? Try to see what aspect is bottlenecking, or maybe even look in the system logs, maybe you’re getting errors on software or hardware components
Any of these can give a hint at where the problem might be

1 Like

You should try to do a raid in Classic, which should be less demanding on graphics cards. :thinking:

Just to test if the iMac graphic card work flawlessy, there.

Your fault for overpaying for an underperforming device. Tricked by brand loyalty.

1 Like

Since 8.3 wow freezes up on my PC all the time.

Just gonna unsub and move on if it doesn’t get better soon 🤷

Unevitable that pop up Apple haters now… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes