In-Game Name Change should be added

So, since in Shadowlands there will be the option to change gender from the barber shop for gold rather than real money, I thought: why not put the most basic game service of all? Names are something that most players regret after some time since, for example, it no longer seems as cool as it did when creating the character. My main character is an example. I created him years ago and I just put a random troll name off the top of my head and now I look at it and I want to change it. In fact, most players I have seen have silly names that they have most probably regretted by now. Especially new players, who just join the game, put a random word for name and play, but then regret their decision.

So here’s my solution. The in-game name change could be at the barber since it is the place where you customize your character again, though I think it would be cool if there was an NPC in Stormwind Keep and Grommash Hold with the sole purpose of changing names for cash, a…“Namechanger”, so to speak. I think the name change should cost 10k at most.
(I also think this option should be available for guilds too.)

3 Likes

Never thought about it but you have my support. I have deleted so many characters because I did not like the name after playing a while.

1 Like

Nope.
Names should never be freely changeable.
That opens up avenues to abuse people and get away with it.

You might like some of these existing discussions

2 Likes

You realise that name report is a thing? And if there was a delay before you can change again, no one gets away with anything.

so basically report them and hope something gets done about it as next time you see them you wont be able to tell its them any more?

Like I said, there could be a delay and not a short one before you can change again. And if someone is reported for name, the delay could be extended

it can also open up confusion in other settings like guilds.
Imagine logging on one day to find that every single person has changed their name.

I doubt they will add it, as unfitting it is with the gender change… They are all for “meaningful choices” nowadays after all. :laughing:

The problem is that namechange should be expensive, to discourage harassers, trolls, scammers and abusers from exploiting it - harassing and scamming you, then changing their name so they can do it again.

So it should cost something like 300k in my opinion… but that’s less than a WoW token and I think a wow token buys a namechange, I’m not sure. 10k is nothing, people can farm 10k in an hour.

1 Like

How would you suggest we deal with problems like impersonation, or being abusive and then simply changing names to not be able to be tracked down, or escalating the already existing problem of naming a new character?

Would you like a little pound symbol with however many numbers next to your name so people can identify you regardless of name? ABC#PlayerID:12345, sound good to you?

I understand why we want to have this and on that I support it, but I also understand the abuse part… Alot of bad ppl will abuse this, just for the hell of it…

As far as I know, if you have a person on friendlist and that person change their name, it will also change on your list, but I think this only apply to battle tag friends, not the “normal name on the same server” friend…but Im not sure…

Overall I would like to see an easier way for name change just because the barber shop will be upgraded. Dont know how though…

1 Like

ikr? The name change for gold would be great, but there are those a$$hats who would take advantage of it to ruin other people’s days, though a delay between changes could solve that

Nah, you can just force a delay of X months before you can change again.

1 Like

As much as I think name change would be a fantastic gold sink I just cant see Blizzard giving up yet another paid service.

After reading this I realized I bought a gender change like 2 days ago whilst totally forgetting about the gender change coming in SL :man_facepalming:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.