Gender change in barbershop confirmed?

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/an-update-on-pelagos-pronouns/162548

How does this confirm barbershop gender change option?

You can already change your characters gender with the Appearance Change paid service (which is way too expensive so nobody buys it). It would be nice if they moved it to the barbershop but knowing Bli$$ard it won’t happen anytime soon…

9 Likes

This has nothing to do with the barber shop.
I assume you’re trying to meme but if you’re serious then no, it doesn’t mean that.

4 Likes

Could see a gender change from male to female happen in a barber shop. But the other way around might be tricky.

edit: Maybe the tailor…

16 Likes

The Forsaken apothecaries have the technology since classic

3 Likes

I think Legion cooking would be the more appropriate place, Nomi has a great dried mackerel recipe.

1 Like

You think they’re gonna remove that from a RM transaction…? HIGHLY unlikely?

2 Likes

How does this confirm or even suggest it?

It’s on about the Kyrian NPCs, not us.

3 Likes

Well it could happen because as you say not many use the Appearance changes and it would be a great pr move

1 Like

Well they did allow us to change our face there, which was previously a paid service. Same for skin colour.

I’m not sure wether or not changing gender would be going too far, because then a name change would also be appropriate, and I don’t see them allowing us to change name for free… Perhaps reducing the price of this service? It would allow players to more easily buy it with gold via WoW tokens…

I have no problem with people that go to the doctor and change gender.

I’m not sure how you concluded this is connected to the barbershop.

5 Likes

That’d be one seriously underpaid Barber for their unique ground breaking talent… :astonished:

1 Like

to be honest, the connotations of allowing players to change their character sex in the barber shop could be taken as incredibly offensive, because it says something very crude and false about gender confirmation surgery and hormones etc.

transitioning isn’t easy and it certainly isn’t as simple as “getting it chopped off”.

by all means they could have a spell to do it. that would be inoffensive IMO.

I do absolutely love what they’ve done with Pelagos.

3 Likes

IF this was gonna come into the game, where else would they put it? Unless they make a new sort of NPC “borrowing” from the Fallout facial reconstruction clinics of course this would end up at the barber shop so it’s more or less just the logical conclusion you’d end up at.

The real question is, how realistic is this? The post could be a hint, blizz is known to shroud themselves in deniable roundabouts. Will they though? The question there is: how much money is blizz actually making from the genderchange transactions. if the number is low-to-none, I think, yeah, they might just do it.

I think many people would like it, but i also think that the overwhelming majority of them is not willing to pay 15 Euros/Pounds for what is effectively a purely visual change with no impact on racials

While true, If I can turn someone into a Sheep, a Cat, a Pig, a Frog etc… you see where I’m going with this. In a world that has Magic, not everything needs to relate to reality. and to that point, how realistic is it to log out as a guy, pay 15 bucks and log back in as a woman? at least with it at the barber shop everyone is free to choose whenever they like.

4 Likes

Yeah make it a spell or whatever this is a fantasy world let us do whatever we want to do…
NO ONE IS BUYING GENDER CHANGE FOR 15 EURO

3 Likes

Rip, I have spent more than 500€ on race changes/gender changes. It is indeed way too expensive. I’d rather pay 15 - 25€ than level a new character tho. It is what it is :frowning:

my point though, is the connotation of having that function in a barber shop (hence my putting it in bold).
as you said, you can use a spell to turn someone into a sheep, etc. that’s not really an issue.
it’s the implication that a trans woman is simply a man who had their bits chopped off. or vice versa.

I’m all in favour of having a spell or whatever, I just thought the idea of having that in a barber shop could offend a lot of people.

And my point is it shouldn’t matter where you do it as long as you get to do it. We can already change skin color at the barber, arguably just as insensitive especially with the new customizations coming in with SL.

2 Likes

well I do see your point with the skin colour thing…
however, I can only speak from my own point of view.
let me be completely open. I am a post op trans woman. have been for many years. nobody knows normally because I don’t look any different from most other women. It’s a long and complicated story, but let’s just say, I wasn’t born with everything one way or the other. it was complicated. and the process to correct what the doctors got wrong is also long and complicated.

if blizzard put gender change in the barber shop, that would feel incredibly reductive to me. it would make me feel invalidated.

if they did it with a spell, once again that’s fine. if it was a magic pill, fine. a magical pool, fine. a spirit transfer, fine. a log out, pay 15 euros or whatever, that is fine, because none of those things suggest that a trans woman is merely a man, with bits cut off.

there is a lot more to it than that.

should it be so easy to change the colour of your character’s skin? maybe not. maybe something for another discussion.

1 Like