In regards to the recent campaign

Since playing WoW in its current state it about as stimulating as cleaning your nails, you can pretty much do it on auto-drive while you focus your attention on superior entertainment such as AD forums.

3 Likes

Normally, no, but right now my ability to game is somewhat impaired so my activity on here has picked up while I spend my time watching livestreams and stuff.

Also, the forums are extra fun the last two or so days, can’t blame me for getting in on that hype train.

When it’s one side versus another. It becomes a competition. It doesn’t mean you can be toxic. But it is still a competition.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with one side wanting to win and thus comes up with tactics. It makes things more tasteful than ‘throw people in the middle and hopefully they have fun’.

The unhealthy part is when people start forgetting that it’s a game, and begin being abusive, toxic, start bullying, calling people names, sending images that aren’t appropriate. This has been going on for years, and years, and years. Unfortunately it won’t change anytime soon.

I aint no brain wizard, but I am pretty sure Competition is healthy.

I agree. I am probably not perfect in this myself.

It’s hard to stop people from doing this. And it was quite obvious that there were plenty of cases of lines being blurred in the last seven days.

People will always try ways of straddling the line when it comes to rules. Trying to push some things to get as much out of it as possible.

1 Like

Ofc, my bad. To my defense, it did legitimately look like an attempt to bring the disagreements to the forefront.
Admittedly I didn’t read through the thread all that much, but enough to know that I alreaddy missed the campaign, which is probably also my bad.
As for avoiding the occuring drama, maybe the responsibilty should be placed more in the hands of the participants rather than the organisers, I don’t understand why those who are already putting work into creating something should be held accountable for the behaviour of the players, or be the ones asking themselves what they can do better next time.

I’ll avoid to comment on the OOC related matters that happened during the campaign for the most part. Everyone that was there (and now more) knows what happened and yes, I agree that it came to the point for me too that I felt like stepping away from it due to certain behaviours and actions.

On the IC part I think my biggest issue was the disregard towards RP from mostly one side. It became too competitive and as part of the outnumbered group I was part of (Scouts), I believe we were very RP-orientated which sadly seemed very irrelevant to the opposide side aside from a few exceptions. I hope that in future campaigns that changes or I don’t quite see the point to add RP to it at all.

Even so, negativity aside, I had a lot of fun. Those that I had the chance to interact with and those like-minded managed to pull through and do our best to focus on the RP aspect and that gave me a lot. From our hit-and-run shenanigans to camp RP I am glad to have been a part of it and I hope to see those very players again in the future.

4 Likes

I loved the aerial combat. While it was not hugely detailed and utilized as well as it could have been, the fact that it was acknowledged at all made me a happy Gnome. It also allowed me to interact with fellow fliers which was fun.

I thought the after hours camp RP was great. I often find at these campaigns that guilds tend to stick to themselves and largely avoid other people but there was something about this campaign that saw guilds making the effort to chat away to other people, even unguilded folks like me! I saw Void elves chatting with humans, gnomes and dwarves talking with draenei and all sorts of misadventures and mishaps including a two on five gnome vs dwarf brawl, which we totally won.

The RPPvp seemed reasonably well managed too, I only took part in one battle but it seemed fairly well done, can’t speak for the rest of the campaign!

I think the spying needed to be worked on. As I mentioned in the campaign thread, thanks to the elixir of tongues, we now have a unique opportunity to have spies sneak into camp, listen in to conversations/meetings/briefings and sneak out to report back to their leaders. Unfortunately, this was mostly used to randomly attack groups of people, with no real intent on killing any of them, simply stabbing a chap, shouting something silly, Black Betty lyrics come to mind, and using sprint to run away. Not terribly interesting and a little immersion breaking. There was also one chap who snuck in, stayed in stealth and /yelled taunts at the Alliance. I’m not master spycatcher but I think if you are yelling, folks might logically be able to find you absent game mechanics.

I think the big twist at the end could have been delivered better. While I understand it can be difficult to fool a whole bunch of people and make a compelling plot twist, the method of delivery, a single forum post which seemed to imply only the Alliance was fooled upon first reading, left people with a bitter taste in their mouth. How could it have been done better? I cannot say for certain but I would suggest talking with guild leaders about it.

I think folks should largely try to avoid being in Discords for these sorts of campaigns. That might sound a silly thing to say but when you are heavily invested in your character, guild and faction, losing an RPPvp event, whether legitimately or not, can leave a player feeling cross. This then bleeds into OOC comments in a discord which lead to more comments, replies and eventually drama. Perhaps we should make better use of the community system Bliz put in in BfA as this can be ‘policed’ as far as I know by Blizz’s ToS thus reducing the likeliness of a repeat of this campaign’s drama which lead in part to its slightly early finish. Granted, you’ll start get the drama but I think it’d be more contained.

Additionally, I think people need to realise that any attempt at RPPvP no matter the rules is going to end in a bit of drama. There’ll always be someone who has a different interpretation of lore, class power, tactics or what have you so it is unlikely everyone is going to be happy.

All in all I loved the campaign though as listed above, these are my critiques.

4 Likes

Bit late by the way but big :+1: to Bearan in this thread for making a mistake and owning it once he realized it was a mistake, even though he had people defending him. That takes more balls than you’d think.

3 Likes

This thread has actually been very wholesome and mature, overall, which I am very happy about! I would also like to thank everyone who has provided feedback on the matter, which has proved to be very insightful, at least to me. So thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn, campaigns on this server are terrifying!

Goodluck to Leadriel if you plan on organising one yourself! :wink:

Damn, campaigns on this server are terrifying!

For healers, perhaps.

1 Like

Good to see someone else that appreciates the IC tactic to take out healers.

It’s just a shame you are on the wrong side.

1 Like

Yeah, I thoroughly agree here. While competition is healthy. People need to remember that they are roleplaying campaigns and conducting OOC scheming/drama or just generally pulling underhanded stints to try and win is incredibly petty.

Everyone wants to win. But it shouldn’t be important, we’ve had campaigns add extra missions so one side didn’t lose (Borderlands) for example. I think it’s genuinely getting to a point that there needs to be some form of mechanic introduced to campaigns that punishes people for causing the same problems that tend to plague each one.

In terms of winning, what I quite liked from the Nazmir campaign (Not relevant, but relevant?), was the amount of people attending dictated who captured the area for those battles. Naturally the Alliance vs Horde numbers are skewed due to the population on the Alliance side, but something like that, where the amount of participants gives you a better chance to win, really does help bolster the motivation to join a campaign.

Hence why I’ve actually considered jumping ship. QwQ But the laziness to level a character is real.

that makes more sense than I’d like to admit

Or it can have the opposite effect for the same reason. While I personally prioritise the RP above the designed gameplay “mechanics” of whichever campaign, when that design causes harm to the RP that is when I have issues with it. When winning mentality foregoes RP and numbers equal wins, the RP suffers.

7 Likes

Well, yeah, it has its pitfalls, but so does any method of determining an outcome. Bias is bias.

That said, if you’re going to let something ruin your roleplay, are you actually there to roleplay then? If roleplay is the most important, a thing such as numbers = win should not interfere, you roleplay, that’s it.

But that’s just my view. :> Generally I’m fine with anything as long as its enjoyable.

It is very variable. In regards to the recent campaign those that I ran with, we made our best attempt to focus on the RP and get what we could out of it. I can only speak for myself but from what I’ve seen as responses to others, yes, we did have a good time (for the most part).

However as I pointed out it is variable. We also had points where there is no interaction, RP-PvP is loosely played by (if at all) the rules, you have players running through others, etc. Simply for the sake of winning. It becomes more of a challenge to enjoy it.

3 Likes

While inherently one-sided experiences can be enjoyable, they tend to be less enjoyable than balanced experiences. Consistent one-sided experiences tend to be even less enjoyable. Can they still be enjoyed? Sure, anything can be enjoyed, no matter how awful it is. But experiences that are more even and considerate of all participants tend to be more enjoyable.

To put it into perspective, which of these two options would you find more enjoyable:

• Roleplaying a character that consistently suffers defeats regardless of how competent you roleplay the character as being, due to the out-of-character system that is used to determine the victor.
  • Roleplaying a character that experiences both victories and defeats, due to the out-of-character system that is used to determine the victor being relatively balanced.
3 Likes

I once again - as I feel I need to repeat myself a plethora of times - do understand and did not once say that it was a perfect system, nor that it was balanced as it was perhaps one sided in accordance to participation, I just said it was neat and I enjoyed it at the time. As I thought it was a nice incentive to garner participation.

But yes, I can agree to your points that the second option would be a more realistic outcome and preferable. I of course, know how to feels when things are one sided.

I guess I’ll rescind my feedback on that in my first comment since it doesn’t seem to be well received. :slight_smile:

Though I’m glad that it’s to some extent, generated conversation. So I mean no disrespect if I come off a little stand-offish. Not the best at phrasing. <3

Oh, yeah, I agree, I wasn’t at this campaign so am using the ones that I previously joined to draw back on. (Uldum - Objective based, Burning - Scripted, Lordaeron - Scripted, Nazmir - Scripted/Incentive based) all of which I enjoyed to the fullest, or made the most of it even with the drama it entailed. Naturally you can’t avoid everything and you try your best to just make do. But alas, there is always that someone who ruins it

Don’t mind me, just getting this post to 200 posts.

3 Likes