Is it late?

It’s not to late. With wqs, horrific visions, weekend events you can get geared up quickly.

If you want to keep trying tank i’d recommend you play with someone, who has some more experience, if that’s possible (that’s how I learned the routes pretty fast).

What content where you trying to tank? For mythic+ lower than +10 or hc you could also just queue up in the dungeon finder as dps and then watch what the tank does.

EDIT: Just saw you want to do +10 keys. In that case check out the raider .io websites weekly route and the addons mythic dungeon tools ( it let’s you plan the route and what trash to kill) and mtd guide (an extension for the other tool that allows you to have a small preview window that shows your next pull).

Other then that it’s just practice. It’s intimidating at first, but gets pretty fun once you figured it out.

2 Likes

Dieing fast I could see being bad. Are you maybe overpulling or missing something important?

As for routes I think you are just getting bad groups. Ive saidnits my first time several times and have seen other tanks say the same, everytime my group was helpful in showing where to go. Just make sure you say at the start you are unsure of routes. Some dungeons are fairly obvious but freehold has a bizzare route

Its definitely not too late tho. I came back after being gone since battle for dazar alor. And have this character healing at 463 12+ and heroic. and few 445 -450 alts

2 Likes

What is the tank your are playing?

Oh, thank you

2 Likes

Join a community… don’t subject yourself to the pain of pugging.

2 Likes

At OP try joining

and get the addon

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mythic-dungeon-tools

And ask plenty of questions on the forum people are here to help .

Edit
Welcome back to the game .Also ignore players who say its “Ez” and “git gud” they are just no use to anyone .

Best idea ^^

3 Likes

well…

1 Like

Warrior I will leave the link below
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/kazzak/lunaera

Oh yes, join a community and don’t run any keys at all because they’d rather disband than get a pug healer/tank if none are available in the community. Great communities, I tell you.

And we wonder why there’s a shortage of tanks :confused:

You’re currently missing the legendary cloak and essences on this DH, and that’s a big ol’ grind. If your tank character is in a similar spot, then it makes no real difference, but if it’s got both then personally I’d probably stick with it. You could of course spec it for dps, but then you’ll encounter the savage queues that dps players have to deal with :slight_smile:

Either way, I echo the advice above and suggest joining a community. I’m told Zen Horde is a good place for learning roles without getting leaned on to immediately be amazing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mean, sorry you had a bad experience, but there are many communities out there. Some do indeed prefer to not running to including pug players, others will happily use the group finder. It’s just a case of finding the right community for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah… you need to download some freakin addon to “know the routes” because god forbid you just do a dungeon the normal way

but even if you ignore that, blizzard have made sure you have to grind out that freakin cloak AND essences AND corruption… and even if you do that the worst thing you’ll face are 99% of the toxic dbags you’ll get to meet in pugs

Well sporepod is not that big trinket, the nzoth one would prob be better.

You could use Aegis of the deep minor for more extra versa on aoe packs.

Btw Warrior is a matter of mitigation, so if you are dropping too fast, it makes me think you are maybe not efficient with mitigations/rotating CDs.

As a DK you can ignore people missing kicks, by pooling resources and just shrug it off healing back up yourself.
If people miss kicks on a warrior, you can reflect one, but you will be In an harder spot compared to a dk.

It could be ton of things that makes you drop fast

1 Like
  1. Get the cloak and stuff so you can begin to get essences if you haven’t already
  2. join a M+ community

If you plan to PUG raw, then yes there will be a grind ahead because a lot of people will simply see a “non-max” cloak and go “ohemgee you can’t possibly do M+ until it’s 15” which is false. For high high keys, sure thing, but to begin the climb to 15s? No way. My resto shaman was mucking about in 12-14s early in the patch with a cloak of about 8-9 if i remember correctly. Point is people will use it to gatekeep when it’s not necessarily a big deal.

Communities allow you a better opener. People aren’t wrong to expect you to have good essences, a good cloak etc for high content. But there is a lot of overestimation of what actually is needed which can make the grind feel a lot bigger than it actually is if you throw yourself to the PUGs. The cloak grind, essence grinds, RIO grind, it’s like months of work before you can even begin to dungeon smoothly!

Yet if you find a community and know what you’re doing in a dungeon, you can start running some mythics pretty sharply at the same time as grinding the other stuff. There’s nothing to be lost whilst doing it. It’s the best way to gain experience whilst priming your char and then by the time you are “PUG ready” regarding cloak, essences, RIO, you know exactly what you’re doing anyway.

i mean only because you join a community it doesnt mean that there are suddenly an abudance of healers and tanks at your disposal. i dont really know what people expect who join those communities. one of the main points of joining a community is because you want to avoid playing with randoms. :man_facepalming:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mythic-dungeon-tools

There are usually weekly routes released which are published on Raider IO for that week’s affixes. Dratnos usually prepares them. Once you get more familiar with the routes and affixes you can make your own.

It is not too late but you might find it’s a lot of work at this stage, if you are going to switch, depending on how much you unlocked on your previous character. Getting gear is easy enough, the hard work is farming all the essences and corruption. Some specs needs specific traits so in some cases you will need to farm specific items but the TR vendor can help with that.

You could join a community for Mythic plus on your tank that isn’t all about the push. There are various on both factions.

2 Likes

You definetly need some thick fur if you start tanking. Back when I started running +10 and above, I would take atleast half an hour preparing a route and trying to remember it and people would still flame, because I did a trash pull before a boss pull and thus we didn’t optimzie our bloodlust/heroism cd (on a +10!). I’m pretty good at ignoring people like that, but I know there’s a lot of people really taking things like that to heart.

DPS should really sometimes look at it from the other side before yelling. It’s easy to tell someone that he’s doing something wrong, when all you do is just follow, with your only responsibilty being to interrupt a mob here and there (hyperboling a little).

If you want to criticize the tanks route. Talk to the tank after you’re done with the dungeon and explain to him why you think another route would have been better. In my experience trying to force the tank to take your route in the middle of the dungeon when he has prepared another one will lead to a bigger time loss than that other route would have been worth.

EDIT: If you’ve got any questions on tanking in specific dungeons or questions on tanking as a warrior feel free to whisper Shadazzle-zirkel-des-cenarius or send me a message. I should be online later today.

1 Like

Well this too :slight_smile:

The tank/healer/dps ratios aren’t really any different within a community. The point is that you’re signing up to one or more promises, a code of behaviour if you like. It’ll vary by community but it tends to be things like:

• We don’t leave until the key is finished, or until we all agree it can’t be finished
  • We all know our specs and roles and our character is minmaxed
  • We’re here to time keys, not waste time
  • We don’t flame people for ignorance or mistakes
  • We’ll try to help people improve their gameplay
  • We won’t pug players unless everyone in the group agrees, because we know that stresses some people

Some of which will suit different people, so it’s important to choose the right community for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but it does give you more reliable access to some tanks and healers within those communities.
Also where people feel they’ve bonded with others and are now chill with them, they’re probably more inclined to try out a tank or healing alt within the safe company of those people than to just jump into PUGs, whereas before they may have discouraged themselves from doing so because of the pressure of performance in a role new to them within a PuG.

Being part of a community never restricts your potential options, it only increases them by essentially behaving as a potentially very large friends list. The one exception is those who who in such communities don’t like having pug players at all, mileage varies. Where i’ve joined such communities (SoD and ZH) i always make it clear if we’re running my key, if we can’t find full slots in the comm, we pug the others, my key, my rules. The community simply makes it quicker in most cases to fill slots due to easy access, but it’s not about having a “no pug” rule, that’s something individuals decide for themselves. I’ve even brought a couple of people into the communities this way where the one we pugged stuck with us to push the key more and ended up coming into the community.

2 Likes

Well people on 10 or sub 10 keys don’t even do that usually lol.

That is why best tank for building up rio or getting KM is BDK. You can basically balance out so many mistakes of the others you can really come back from horrible situations.

But it is true tho, people expect to be carried around by the tank while their only input is to smash their buttons.

And people still ask why tank are always low in numbers lol.

This 100%
Usually this leads either to missing % and waste even more times, or going well over 100 because you will make tank pull packs that he would have skipped just to go back to your route.

Plus people usually say this in not so polite ways and you make people nervous because people don’t like to argue mid keys.