Is Varian in the Shadowlands?

He was infused with Fel energy and destroyed. I believe it is stated somewhere that Fel energy actually obliterates the soul entirely (don’t quote me on that), so that means that Varian technically ceased to exist, he wouldn’t have a soul that goes to the Arbiter/Maw.

At the same time, Varian was such a beloved fan-favourite that I doubt Blizzard would miss the opportunity of bringing him back in Shadowlands, even if for a small cameo or a reunion with Anduin. Plus they don’t really care about continuity.

So do you think it is likely we will see Varian again in Shadowlands, and would you like that (I am not saying that they should bring him back, I like Anduin as High King, but maybe he could help us fight the Jailer in the Maw)?

Well, I guess that was before they invented anima energy… So I think there might just be a “clarification” (aka retcon) coming on that one. At least there is a real possibility they will comment on some relation between anima and the Legion, considering they kind of have to explain how the Dreadlords got the Lich King stuff at least.

Was he? Which one? The two from the comics, Garrosh’s Alliance mirror, or the wolfgod-chosen zen guy who taught Tyrande how to lead troops? I mean, that I can’t really care for any of them doesn’t prevent them from being popular, but I really don’e tremember much adoration for him going around… Or only in comparison to his son’s rule, really. And the odd poster here or… :roll_eyes: there.

Possibly. At the top of the list of Maw-characters I expect to see are Saurfang and Tirion, but Varian might fit in there as well. I wouldn’t expect a big role for him though, more of a teamup moment with Saurfang, or something like that. At most a leading Alliance only quest giver for the zone.

1 Like

Did you not see how many people on the internet were saddened by his death? There were even some top reddit posts about Horde players going to Stormwind to mourn him, despite having to go to Alliance-flagged territory.

But yes, his chad post-Cataclysm version was probably his most popular one.

3 Likes

I really didn’t. I personally only regretted it because it meant more spotlight for Anduin was coming. Post-Wolfheart-Varian felt totally hollow to me. Just a “wise king” archetype with no distinguishing features. But since I won’t look it up… I’ll take you at your word and will just be a bit baffled at what people see as good characters once again.

3 Likes

Varian was an amazing character , and his death saddens me til this day, hope we see him !

10 Likes

Only, if Blizzard intends to exchange him for useless Anduin. Tbh, I prefer V to A. But a reunion? Not likely, people are already sick of the amount of human potential being coughed up by Blizzard as it is.

But, if they revive Varian in some magical way, I expect Blizzard to do the same with a magical revival of Teldrassil and UC.

2 Likes

I’d say that there’s a high possibility he will appear. Though I don’t think the Horde will interact with him and my guess is that we won’t have many Horde/Alliance exclusive quests in Shadowlands that BfA got. Blizzard will most likely focus on Covenant exclusive quests instead.

But with that said, I do think there will be a few of faction quests at start of the expansion that will work as a bridge into Shadowlands. There Varian might be a character that appear for Alliance players and Saurfang for Horde players. I imagine that there’s also a chance of a cinematic where Anduin and Varian reunite. It’s either that or a cinematic of Zekhan and Sadfang together.

It is not like Tyrande were any good at leading military troops to begin with. She have always been hasty, reckless and rash, hence why every major military offense have always been up to some other Night Elf but Tyrande. Jarod Shadowsong, Malfurion, Shandris, etc etc.

Tyrande is as incompetent at leading a military as the youngest human child, even more so than Anduin.

It is no wonder that the human king who grew up in a war and having to learn how to lead in the first place due to his position as royalty would be far better at military strategy.

Tyrande never had to learn, she was just put on top when the druids went to sleep following the War of the ancients.

1 Like

Every living soul bears a vital force—an energy known as Anima. This essential force is the lifeblood of the Shadowlands, allowing trees to grow, rivers to flow, new things to be forged, and more. Great or important souls—like those of Arthas, Garrosh, or Varian—bear more Anima than others.

Considering Blizzard namedropped him, as well as Arthas and Garrosh, in an official preview article for Shadowlands, I think it’s safe to say we’ll see those three popping up.

1 Like

Lol nice, I’d love to see Varian manhandling Garrosh once again.

Arthas is dead. He won’t return. They denied it already.

Didn’t All souls since Legion go to the Maw directly? I guess Varian is enjoying some nelf company.

1 Like

Yeah, and he thought it was hell before the place was flooded with Nelves…

3 Likes

Human potential grows strong in this thread.
And I love it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yeah and we know he is in the maw crying. What’s your point ?

Blizzard won’t show him in any context that would make sense. Let him rest.

They could try to fix his story. Feels kinda bad to have him be a cartoon villain through wrath of the lichking

Let them show him one more time as a real character

There is nothing to be fixed. The villain is dead. Nothing else to add.

There’s nothing to fix, his story was perfect.

The cartoon guy in WotLK was the Lich King. Arthas was the only thing stopping the Lich King from annihilating Azeroth, and in doing so he redeemed himself.