It’s about time we addressed the racism and other issues in World of Warcraft

Okay, so, with all this discussion about racism in the real world and in the games industry, and more specifically in RPGs, I feel like now is the best time to raise issues I have had with the game for a long time.

1. There are no non-white human heroes or NPCs as far as I am aware, I certainly cannot think of a single one off the top of my head.

It would also be nice to see some non-straight relationships as well. Let’s have some actual diversity in this global game please.

1. The idea that if you are a member of one race, you hate and are hated by this “other” race. We’re literally fighting race wars here, and it’s more than a little unsettling how much it’s just accepted.

The idea that a race or culture is inherently bad or evil or lesser has been used to justify slavery and genocide for as long as humans have existed. This should not be a thing in todays supposedly civilised society, even in a fictional setting.

1. The extremely racist tropes that the Horde embody. The “Noble Savage” Orcs and the “Primitive Savage” Tauren which seem to be based off of Native American stereotypes, and the “Bloodthirsty Savage” Jamaican trolls.

Caricatures can be extremely offensive as it is, without also implying that the Native Americans are little more than talking animals or ugly human-looking brutes. I don’t even know where to begin with how messed up it is to have Jamaicans represented by one of the most canonically evil races in the game, and to make it worse, Elves are descended from them, and they became “good” which is why they are elves. Think about that for a moment.

1. The prevalence of Shamanism among the Horde races, which is another negative trope directed at Native Americans.

The spiritual beliefs of a people, whether accurately depicted or not, are not a quirk, and should be treated with far more respect than they have been.

1. The fake “Asian” Pandaren with their fake “Asian” accents.

Chinese people living in China get plenty of representation, and are even depicted as pandas in other forms of media there. Chinese Americans and other Chinese people not in America do not, and this is extremely offensive to those groups.

1. The fact that all these “Savage” Horde races are ugly, while the allied races are not.

I already touched on this. The gnomes and dwarves look like humans, even the elves look kinda human. Shoving blood elves and draenei into the mix to “shake things up” does not even come close to balancing things here.

1. The fact that the only evil humans are undead, and they are evil because they are undead, not because they are human.

This just compunds the issue with members of a particular racer being inherently this or that, or automatically allies or enemies with this or that “other” race.

1. The Goblins are a caraciture of Jewish people, portraying them as greedy bankers.

This one slipped my mind when i was writing the post, but somebody else pointed it out and I feel it should be included so I’m editing it in.

1. The fact that, among other things, we are frequently asked to slaughter Dragons, particularly Dragon babies. We know both in and out of character that Dragons in this game are sentient and sapient beings, yet we still regularly slaughter them like it’s no big deal, even killing babies while they are still in their eggs iirc.

I don’t really know what to add here, other than it’s messed up and needs to change.

9 Likes

Give it a rest pls.

87 Likes

Token characters for the sake of ticking the box is always bad in my opinion. Considering there are 2 human races out of a total of like 20 saying we are missing specific human representation is a little silly.

27 Likes

Wow, for a weekend troll thread you sure put a lot of effort in it.

Flagged.

67 Likes

Thrall

/endthread

25 Likes

While we are at it I would like to address how sexualized wow is.

The underwear options are too “revealing” I propose we add a bodysuit for women and a vest added for men.

Blood elves need to be toned down on the looks, as this is body shaming when for other races when they see my lushious blond locks, chiseled physique and fel green eyes, I feel sorry for them.

In black temple there are questionable rooms I’d like to be seen turn into ball pits instead of what it currently is. I’m sorry I’m so vague as its really questionable what one wing of black temple is.

P. S I’d like to add a thank you to OP for it is people like you that restore my faith in the world.

11 Likes

Thrall, Bane, Every single night elf hero, The entire pandaren race… How about void elves? Draenei? there plenty of “non white” heros your clearly just a racist yourself and cant see them.

39 Likes

I can’t make Worgen females with panda sized butts and honestly it’s a crime.

23 Likes

Where do all these nutjobs come from lately? With all due respect, take your agenda and go squat in a cactus patch.

65 Likes

Note to self… steal this phrase

29 Likes

Is this a joke? Seriously where do these nutjobs come from?! “I AM OFFENDED” , “OMG DID YOU JUST LOOK AT MY A**” , “HE LOOKED AT ME THE WRONG WAY POLICE HELP!!!”, “OMG HIS SKIN IS WHITEISH RACIIIST”

22 Likes

Please do not bring real life issues that are within america atm to this video game…
there is nothing wrong with this game its called fantasy its not real get that through your head Thavius…

17 Likes

WoW is more diverse than the actual real world could ever be.
A white man is a human, a black man is a human, a space goat is not a human

4 Likes

Wow, flagged already.

3 Likes

As a certain late 90’s reggae artist once sang, it wasn’t me…

1 Like

What would you want us to do? Take down Lothar’s statue in Searing Gorge? Millions of orcs were put into internment camps because of him.

3 Likes

Sorry, Burning teldrassil was a terrible error, it seem they are more demonish peuple within stormwinds.

Xoxo Horde

(Also keep agenda out of games)

2 Likes

You got enough attention already imo.

1 Like

The worrying thing is the chance that the OP isn’t trolling. Imagine being that person… :man_facepalming:

Anyway, it’s not even funny anymore, it’s just sad.

18 Likes

The game is very diverse when it comes to cultural inspirations. Not sure what you mean.

Humans: Medieval

Worgen: Victorian England

Dwarf: Celtic, Scottish

Goblins: New Jersey/New York/ Islander

Trolls: Caribbean

Zandalari: Aztec, Incan, West african accent

Blood elf: Middle Eastern, French, elvish

Night elves: Native American, Ancient Greek, Turkish

Nightborne: Roman, Ancient Greek.

Tauren: Native American

Vulpera: Gypsy, North African

Draenei: Greek mythology, Eastern Europe, Indian.

14 Likes