Jeff Kaplan left Blizzard Entertainment

Looks at Forum content

You sure?..

He made OW such a good game, it feels his leave is probably because he didn’t like the direction Overwatch 2 is going, and there are some rumors supporting that on the net, this leave mid-project probably greatly increase the credit of these rumors.

He’s also famous for the fine I’ll do it myself rant in Everquest, where he basically goes off on the Everquest devs ( just like us forumers! ) and joins blizzard to then create WoW the world best MMORPG game.

For anyone interested, you just need to google tigole bitties which was his nick name ( yes its exactly what you think it is, one of those analogies, he’s one of us! )

I think he’s probably going to join Dreamhaven ( hopefully )or another game studio later on.

Should dreamhaven announce an MMO or make an MMO it could be the only real threat to WoW which would actually be healthy for WoW : search healthy competition in business.

He’s not the only big name from blizzard leaving, I heard 3 of them left in just a few weeks, this definitely spells that something is up.

I find this news actually exciting too, not sad. ofcourse, it is disheartening to see a good Dev leave a beloved game company, but it also spells new chances and innovation!

Good luck to Jeff, Blizzard and probably Dreamhaven, the next few years seem to be a very interesting times.

4 Likes

As much as I like wow and blizzard they are increasingly starting to resemble Simpsons and just like Simpsons everything good should end when it’s still at least fine and not just cash in with a name and nostalgia.

In February 2009, Kaplan announced that he was stepping down as game director for WoW to switch his role at Blizzard to a new, unannounced MMO, which later was revealed as Titan.

Some people have no idea what they’re talking about as he haven’t been involved with WoW since 2009 (Which is 3 months into WOTLK)

Everyone at Blizzard have impact on all games. Its not like just becouse you work on different game you cant go and talk to developers from other teams. This is actualy where most creative ideas come from. Blizzard team are not this isolated units where everybody do their stuff in their little corner of Blizzard and ignore everybody els.

You realise “tigole” was crapping all over everquest because the raid encounters were badly designed in his opinion and too easy, because him and his guild would play non stop whenever new content would come out, to the point that they cleared everything in two days, in one sitting.

So you see how much he influenced WoW and the raid or die mentality.

So he was there for TBC and the start of the WOTLK. You mean the expansions everyone here on the forums yell are the best of the best and nothing can ever come close to them.

So how is the raid or die mentality that bad?

Even so, it wasn’t raid or die during TBC and WOTLK. There was plenty of stuff you could do so the entire point is moot anyway.

1 Like

I agree that Jeff Kaplan isn’t directly responsible for that, but people blame him for influencing the game this way and that Blizzard is inept, incapable of balancing content and made it all about raiding after he left the Warcraft franchise.

Some people are blaming Kaplan for that as a result.

1 Like

Sure and people also blamed Ghostcrawler etc. but are now crying for him to come back. That’s the issue with wow players, they blame everyone for everything and then when they realize it’s the same they cry for it to come back.

2 Likes

He joined in classic wow times he was the quest developer for it then he joined Overwatch team he was the main developer for Overwatch a really good person engaged with the community alot he was the voice of Overwatch.

Me personally i like the guy he encouraged the community to work together but alas enough was enough for him so he left i guess.

3 Likes

Checkmate.

Fairwell Tigole, I for one am excited about what he will work on in the future (if anything). :wave:

4 Likes

It’s going to be the same with Ion lol.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.