'Just ignore it'

No one is expecting to welcome everyone, or permit random people to just hook up if they want. The only thing to be expected from a DM is to take the designated group of yours on an adventure, a story, or an experience that you have created for them and hopefully complete it, what happens during is up to the group and the DM, and there is nothing rude with saying, “Let’s just go along with our group/story” and the other group just have to accept that.

That is just how it is. Not everyone is built to, or prepared to accommodate another group of people hooking up with theirs just because they are in the same area. And some people don’t feel comfortable with other people, again, a “that’s life” thing.

We need to make room for everyone, the world is big enough, and we should accept if people wish to create events for them and theirs, without having to pull everyone in.

That being said, if we take a most recent planned event into account, the group forming said event in the location they do, should expect some hindrance as there are members of each faction who do not wish for peace and progression.

1 Like

Oh and as for the stuff specifically mentioned by Tenesa. These events that are incongruous with the setting. No one here as any authority or ability to police RP. They’re not going to stop doing what they do, you could try to persuade them to your way of thinking. I don’t think you’ll have much success with that, it’ll very much sound to their ears like someone yelling “Stop having the wrong kind of fun.” No one ever responds well to that one.

Best to ignore it and get on with your own stuff. If complaining on the forum/discord/guildchat/whatever about the quality of RP worked, well it just doesn’t. People have been complaining about Goldshire for nearly 2 decades, it’s still there.

10 Likes

Thats more an issue of in game moderation from Blizzard.

Disdain from the rest of the player base didn’t make it go away either. Which is the point I’m making.

5 Likes

I’m not really in the mood to boot up the game, to spent most likely the entire evening to harass and name and shame X person for having a fall out with the lore I deem unfit.
The worst cases is just an hour of making memes out of it for entertainment purposes and thats as far as it gets for me, people will tell each other behind the scenes anyway

I have a flock I regulary RP with that I’m happy enough with, the rest, I am not too phased about besides the of course understandable frustration of people who read lore vs rose tinted sunglasses Roleplayers
But in the end, WoW isn’t the epitome of my day, it could be for them, maybe for pyschological purposes, than so be it, I am in no situation obliged to really conider them as being there.

Event Wise, it’s amazing to make stories and share them, being currently in Winterspring for the Weekend, I did make a call out in a Community Discord that we’e happy to extend our story along, but then at the same time, another established guild was also holding a story there, so then its indeed the courtesy to just, well avoid sounds harsher than it should, but take it in consideration and in order to not having to stall an Event, keep going along.

Its different if it’s merely travel RP towards somewhere, that creates a better leniency for open world interaction.
But I believe its already been said anyhoot

7 Likes

I think that everyone should be allowed to roleplay whatever they like in the World of Warcraft, so long as they do not bother anyone and keep to themselves. if a group of friends are having fun by pretending to be spacemen or a group of lawyers in their own separate corner of the world, then who are you to tell them that they can’t?

Your main argument is that if people don’t roleplay in a way that you deem fit, that makes the roleplaying community as a whole weaker. I think the very opposite is true. By driving away people who just want to play out their own little scenarios with their friends, doing whatever they like to do – whether it fits the lore or not – is inherently driving people away from roleplaying.

By policing what may or may not be portrayed under the guise of “lore accuracy”, you are effectively telling people that they are not allowed to have fun in the way that they want to. Seeking enjoyment and escapism is the end goal of all roleplaying. To dictate how people can have fun with their friends in a game – that they pay to play on a monthly basis – is an autocratic notion.

If these pockets of roleplayers are at all interested in lore-accurate roleplay, then they will naturally drift towards it on their own accord. If they are not, then you lose nothing by them not partaking in the roleplay that you enjoy. Someone who only wants to roleplay Dragonball Z in World of Warcraft, will never be a major member of the community as a whole, and no amount of being upset about their existence will change that fact.

So long as they do not bother anyone else, then there is no harm whatsoever in a bunch of friends roleplaying whatever they want to roleplay together, in their own little isolated corner of the world where nobody will ever stumble upon them.

8 Likes

It´s creation of stories for me (and I doubt I´m alone), so that statement is just incorrect.

For people who RP concepts that have no place in the lore of WoW to not bother anyone, they need to always stay within their bubble. Therefore, if they leave the server, nobody should even notice that they left, because there has not been anyone who ever had to deal with their RP. And if this departure is noticed, then these people have made themselves visible either through OOC means (such as recruitment threads) or IC means (such as presence at events/hubs), and therefore broke the “not bothering anyone and keeping to themselves” requirement you mention.
Which means RP community does not become weaker by these good people leaving, because it only ever lost those who weren´t part of the wider community to begin with.

If these people were only RPing within their own bubbles, we wouldn´t have the problem OP is mentioning, because we´d never run into them.

5 Likes

I definetly agree with this part, and indeed, if they all kept to themselves to their own little corner, I doubt anyone would bat an eye.

But lately there have been far too many people that do -not- keep to themselves and their own little corner. Some of them do their strange things in the middle of the world, in Stormwind even. Weird things like vrykul walking around as bartenders , we had a K’thir walking around the city, a being that should very much be murder-on-sight.

And even in the case of a certain community that does stay out in the world for the most, the thing is… others do interact with them and do take their stuff as IC, and then they come back and roleplay with the more lore-adhering portion of the RP-community again who, even while ignoring the non-lore rp, still find themselves confronted by it by proxy.

So, again Toughpaw, your advice is solid for the most, but it’s not as foolproof as we’d like to believe it is.

6 Likes

Except they do bother. People are loud about their senseless ideas, and it does cause problems. Again we return to the fashion show in the Vale right after the war with N’Zoth was over: if we think that this ignoring of lore, logic and common sense to the point we gather money in a war-ravaged land that isn’t even a part of Alliance they ask money for is normal, we see even more whacky concepts as a norm, not as abominable idiocy it is.

This 100%. The investment I have in the game is centred on my community rather than the community. We all have a finite amount of time, which I would prefer to focus on my character and my roleplay with the people I enjoy doing those things with. Bashing my head against the wall of Roleplay Standards feels like an exercise in futility that will accomplish nothing but my own frustration.

Will I offer advice & assistance to someone who asks me for it? Absolutely. I actually enjoy teaching. Will I expend my effort trying to teach (and, failing that, shame) someone who is going to disregard what I say in favour of their own interests? I don’t know, that doesn’t seem like a worthwhile use of my leisure/hobby time.

8 Likes

Unless they were actively occupying an area that you intended to peruse at the same time, how exactly were they bothering you? You can dislike what they were doing, but you can not claim that it was bothering you unless you just so happened to be hanging out in the Vale when they showed up and began to do their stuff. Being bothered by their existence is not the same thing as them going out of their way to bother you.

You speak of the slippery slope degradation of a standard. How does this affect you, if at all? If you do not like this non-lore-adherent stuff, then just don’t join them. Surely, your own group of friends knows better, right? And if they know better, then you have nothing to fear. If you want lore-adherent events, nobody is stopping you from doing those.

I will agree that the Vale of Eternal Blossoms is a bit too much of a public space for such events, though. Perhaps a bit more prudence is warranted, from both sides.

3 Likes

This affects the community because if everything a new player sees is Stormwind with K’thir in the streets, Orgrimmar with its desolation and the public events like this, not giving a damn about lore, they won’t be able to know better. And the lore-accurate communities will die out with people leaving and no one around to replace them. We’ll become a second Moonguard, and that’s not what I’d want for the last RP server of Europe.

2 Likes

If the usual suspects™ kept to themselves in their insular bubble why does most of the RP Community know about their deviancy, why do they run an RP event Discord and try and be omnipresent both in Dalaran and pre-Keti Orgrimmar?

All this moral high horse posting about live and let live reeks of players who aren’t even playing the game.

Edit: Correction, they instead went ahead and become a globe trotting circus freakshow. All hail the insular bubble that encompasses every corner of Azeroth.

5 Likes

I think you are contradicting yourself when you blame these groups of roleplayers for being an isolated bubble, and in the same breath you say that they stop being an isolated bubble the moment they try to expand their group of friends. I do not think that an OOC post on a forum, let alone speaking to people who approach them, is the same as being a detriment to ongoing roleplay.

They roleplay in their own bubble. To blame them for reaching out on an OOC level to see if anyone else would be interested, is forcing them to become the beast that you despise. How does a forum post about something that you are uninterested about bother you, unless you go out of your way to be bothered by it?

If the roleplaying community does not grow weaker from these people leaving the server, then neither does their presence make it weaker to begin with; thus disproving the main argument of the post that started this thread.

2 Likes

So, the issue becomes fringe roleplayers that put themselves in the center of attention; which I am vehemently against to begin with. You are entirely in the right when discussing roleplaying in a public space. Heck, remember that time I rallied the Shado-Pan to go stand around and be menacing when there was a black market being held at Halfhill?

Still, my point stands that you are not affected in the slightest by this sort of roleplay happening in a place where you will never see it, and you will never interact with it. Protecting the rookies is a poor reason to use to persecute groups of friends having their own isolated form of fun, whatever that may be.

If you wish to bash on people who want to roleplay as Marvel’s Avengers in the middle of Stormwind, by all means, be my guest! However, the original post of this thread spoke of any and all groups who do non-lore-adherent roleplay, and that is far too wide a target for me to mindlessly root for.

Where am I blaming them for being isolated bubble?
And yes, if you do public recruitment, you sort of stop being isolated bubble that doesn´t take part in the wider community.

Except then they move from being isolated group of friends doing their stuff in private to group that is trying to grow.

No, because main argument wasn´t: “People who RP in their own tiny bubble harm the server”. OP was talking about people who do very public RP that goes against the lore, to which you went with the classic “but what if they don´t do it publicly?”.
Well, if their RP is private, then logically nobody from outside the group would know about it.

you’re not entitled to take part in other groups events/rp because you’re lonely and bored

touch grass, get another hobby, build legos or something

3 Likes

Here’s my worm opinion.

TLDR: Nobody cares about anyone else, they just want to do their own thing, regardless of whether it fits or not.

I would love it if I didn’t have to ignore RPers, but that is sometimes too much to ask of me. I generally interact with anything. I RP an orc grunt in Orgrimmar, and a TRP of a cyborg void-elf comes to me and asks me where it can find more void power? I assume it’s some kooky insane elf, and point him into the Drag, where he belongs.

But sometimes… Sometimes it’s too much to bear. If I RP in Darkshire, a place that is suppsoed to be bleak, on its last knees, understaffed and constantly under the threat of some goonie monster coming out and smashing the town, I expect people to respect the theme of the area.

When I see a Kul Tiran character, whose TRP is actually that he’s a friendly Furbolg, and is glamored to look like a human (with the mog being extremely bear-themed), I just wonder… Why would anyone let this Furbolg into Darkshire? A foreign creature to wander the town? What can I, as a simple, humble Watcher, do?

I should be slicing the foul beast up with my stupid sword, trying to get this monstrum out of town! But I am expected to accept that this big bear monster is allowed into town. I just simply have no other choice. It’s either RP something absurd, or just pretend it’s not there.

The big trouble with WoW RP is that 87.4% of all RPers are extremely selfish, and put their own enjoyment in front of anyone else’s. They don’t care about following themes, they don’t care about whether or not this makes sense, and they don’t care about other RPers.

They just want to RP their Fallout character, and instead of adhering to the setting, they choose to be quirky and bizarre, thinking that that’s what makes for good RP. And for themselves they might be right, but to the people who want to immerse themselves, what’s there left to do?

If you choose to acknoweldge the out of theme RP then that’s it, you’re no longer RPing in the setting of the game, you’re RPing in the setting of other people.

So while I would love it if we lived in a perfect world, where everyone respected the game, the setting, the themes, and other players, and you didn’t need to ignore the little geeks who throw up their arms and RP anything their little precious brains come up with… Unfortunately…

This is not a perfect world.

4 Likes

Capitalize your letters, you STOOGE!!!

:facepunch: :boom:
:boom: :facepunch:

2 Likes

Oofh i’ll propably regret this, But reading a little up and down across this thread about concerns over new roleplayers and influences of other roleplayers not following theme and lore. Some even suggesting naming and shaming.

Any roleplayer new or old, Beginner or not will lean towards where they feel the safest and included. Knowing that group X has sky high standards and what they might do and say about you if you don’t preform roleplay fluently would give even the best around preformence anxiety.

Instead of naming and shaming and turning people away. If at the same time worried about the standard of the server as a whole. I’d suggest including people and bringing people into your rp more, Show them the way. Rather than the other way around.

Sort of the same when it comes to pve and m+ and raiding. How so many never dare set foot into that content cause you know exactly what your getting into and how toxic it can be.

If beginners or new roleplayers come around and knows certain people will just likely turn them away or name and shame them or are known for such. Rping around them would feel like roleplaying with a knife to your throat. And their just likely to stick to the people they feel the safest with Roleplaying around.

13 Likes