Just re-subscribed after 9 years...what should I do next?

Hi all

I’ve not played WoW since Cataclysm, but I’ve just bought a new subscription after enjoying myself in the free trial thing. I’ve logged onto my higher level characters now and trying to get back to grips with the mechanics, things have changed so much!

I know this is a confusing time for everyone, but I’m having a bit of trouble finding my way in the game. I’ve been reading about azurite, heirlooms, artefact weapons, etc but can’t wrap my head around it all. I’m also a bit disheartened because my once pretty decent characters are now a bit rubbish, which isn’t unexpected but I did the Headless Horseman on my now lvl 33 paladin last night and my DPS was ridiculously low compared to others, I’m too embarrassed to try another dungeon for fear of being called out on it. I also don’t really have any heirloom items so feel like I’ll always be behind everyone…

I would appreciate some advice on what my next steps should be.

I don’t know whether to level up my main characters to 50 ready for the new expansion. If so should I just quest to level? Does it really matter where you quest now, are all gear drops pretty decent in each timeline? I don’t really want any outdated gear, I read that artefact weapons are now pointless so should I avoid Legion? I tried to use the random dungeon finder to get into a BFA dungeon, but I only had Legion options to choose from despite using Chromie to change to the current timeline.

Or should I let the past go and level some new characters to follow the latest storyline and get back to grips with everything?

Any advice would be great, and sorry for the amount of questions haha😊

I’d say level some new characters in BfA and get used to the new systems.

Also, forget everything you knew. This is more like WoW 3.0.

1 Like

Welcome back!

That’s a lot of points. :slight_smile:

Confusion is the expected and normal state at this point! We are all confused.

Things have changed a lot, many of them in the last couple of months and even weeks, so you will be reading and watching a lot of stuff that is out of date. wowhead.com and icy-veins.com should be pretty current, but check the dates on anything else.

Heirlooms are no longer better than regular gear. Blizzard nuked them from orbit. They don’t even give XP bonuses anymore. They are handy because they never fall behind your level, but they are nowhere near required.

Scaling is … bugged? Not exactly in specific ways, but yeah, it produces inconsisitent results. Scaling makes performance all over the place, especially during prepatch. A level X may apparently smoke a level Y on the DPS meters just because of scaling irregularities. Pay no attention to what your DPS meter says when people in a party are not the same level - especially when comparing yourself against level 50s.

Azerite, Essences and Corruptions are gone, or about to be. All of BfA’s systems are being obsoleted for Shadowlands.

At some point in prepatch, quests will appear that will kit you out in Normal raid level drops. Not that that really matters anyhow, since you will also replace those in a few hours when levelling in Shadowlands.

Nothing below level 50 matters! Gear is all over the place, scaling is weird. Don’t sweat any of it.

It doesn’t matter which expansion you level in. The gear you get from dungeons and quests will be according to your character level, not the expansion. A level 33 will always get level 33 gear, no matter what expansion. Talk to Chromie near the Stormwind or Orgrimmar Embassy and pick whatever expansion you want to see.

Levelling has been vastly speeded up. You last played in Cata? So send one character to Mists, one to Warlords, and so on. Take the opportunity to see what you missed! :slight_smile:

EVERYTHING below 50 is pointless, except to enjoy it! The artefact weapons may be pointless (well, Ashbringer is pretty pointy :P) at level 50, but the quests to get them are very well done, and worth seeing. Besides, they make for great transmog.

Chromie doesn’t offer BfA as an option, AFAIK? I tried on an alt, and she didn’t have it for me. Instead there was a quest at Grommash Hold - I imagine that would be by the Hero’s Board in Stormwind - to go to BfA. But maybe that’s just another one of those changes that we haven’t caught up with yet.

From a Wowhead comment:

Chromie’s ability to send you back to the BFA timeline after choosing a previous expansion appears to be bugged in pre-patch.

After trying out Outlands, I have yet to find any way to re-start the BFA questline. (And yes, I’ve tried all of the obvious things. Including literally going to Boralus.) - When asking Chromie to send me to the current timeline, I appear to end up in the MoP timeline, with all the quests in the Stormwind Keep wanting to start the Pandaria intro.

All the other expansions seem available tho, via Chromie.

Edit Blizzard have confirmed there is a bug with this questline. It appears new characters that go through Exile’s Reach get the starting quest, but other’s may not.

HOW you get to level 50 doesn’t matter at all for game purposes. You will hit 50 in much the same gear whichever expansion(s) you choose and whether you go quests aor dungeons.

Just keep killing stuff, you eventually get to 50, the prepatch quests will arrive, and you will have your characters ready for the launch!

2 Likes

Ahh thank you both for your replies, and Grainne your really detailed reply was great and has made me feel so much better about things, and I’m sure it will help other returning players who might stumble across this as well.
I didn’t even realise that you could be in a dungeon with someone who is a much higher level than you, makes sense now.
I will try and do some BFA stuff on my main, and then start some new characters to play about with the other expansions and just remember to enjoy the process.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Yeah, levels 10-50 are all mixed in together, with effects that are … psychedelic.

There is of course the issue that lower levels don’t have all their abilities, especially cooldowns.

Then for damage proper, Scaling is supposed to level the playing field, sorta, but it really doesn’t. I have a level 22 Rogue I took out to Draenor just to get my Garrison Hearthstone, and going through the opening of Draenor, I find I’m out of Energy A LOT. I can be standing there auto-attacking a mob for three whole seconds - which is a lot of time! - unable to strike. And then when I get enough Energy to use Sinister Strike, I’m waiting again. That’s a problem with the Haste scaling to regen my Energy. My level 50 Rogue in OK-ish gear doesn’t have that problem. If my level 22 Rogue and my level 50 Rogue were in the same dungeon - and the Horseman dungeon is much used by level 50s, for obvious reasons - even with the same person playing both, there would be a HUGE differenc in damage.

Yeah, just consider this a sightseeing tour until Shadowlands starts, and enjoy the ride. :smiley:

1 Like

Some great advice in this thread, just wanted to pop in and say welcome back, hope you’re enjoying being back in Azeroth!

1 Like

Hi Norie,

I’m in almost the same situation as you! It sure is funny logging back in and seeing my old characters with their new looks :slight_smile:

Just hit 50 on my first new WoW character and all of a sudden I’m entirely demotivated to play at all. I’ve no idea which way to turn and went from a having-fun leveller to one of the worst geared 50s on the server I’m sure. Hrmmph. I dont suppose there is any point in even trying PvP, I inspected a fellow rogue and his weapon did almost double the damage of the artifact that I have. Oh no! I would hate to be a burden to my team in a BG or dungeon.

So many questions-

Do I have to get a heart of Azeroth?
What about that fancy looking legendary cloak?
Should I do dungeons? Can I group up with other fresh-50s?
Etc…

There seems to be so much fanfare about easy levelling but little thought about what us new or returning players should do when we get there. I would return to classic WoW as I know about gearing up there but its all gold farmers and pay to win raids.

If you read this far, any advice is appreciated and take it easy :smiley:

1 Like

You do have to get a Heart of Azeroth to unlock most of the starting systems of BfA. Without the Heart, lots of quests won’t be available.

The Cloak would be a decent enough thing to get in prepatch, but you have to go through some preparation before you are offered the quest to get it. Here is a post I made before explaining the steps to get to it, and to open BfA generally:

What you “should” do is up to you. When Shadowlands launches, you will get fresh gear from the starter quests there anyhow, so gear will not be a problem long-term. At some point during the prepatch, Blizzard will activare a prepatch quest chain that will reward level 100 gear, so that anyone who was here in prepatch will get a small head-start on Shadowlands.

Dungeons are an option now, sure. Also starting that series that I posted about in my link so that you open World Quests and the Flight Master’s Whistle which will get you pretty big gear upgrades very quickly and reliably, without dungeon drop RNG.

2 Likes

Gráinne, kind of you to explain things so clearly to a newcomer. Many thanks.

3 Likes

Agreed, Grainne’s advice is so helpful!

I hope you are finding your way now Faethorn.

I have concentrated on levelling, and very nearly at 50 now. I’ve enjoyed questing around KulTiras, and I’ve been having fun with the war campaign. I think I’m going to see about trying to get some of the allied races soon.
It’s good coming back with fresh eyes actually, there’s quite a lot to get stuck into once you get over being overwhelmed!

1 Like

You should find a guild that suits you. Overall there is no point in looking and farming for gear now, so go ahead with levelling and archievements. And pick a main for the next expansion :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.