Keybindings randomly resetting

Now, it only happened to me 2 or 3 times, but sometimes some of my keybindings reset to default or disappear completely when I log in. For example: a few days ago I’ve had “Skills” page completely unbound (used to be default, “K”). Today I’ve noticed “Open all bags” bind reset to default (“F12”) when I logged in.
It only takes a few seconds to fix (just rebind it back in options), but that may potentially be very annoying if, say, a rarely used command is unbound and you find out about it in a worst possible situation (for ex: a PvP encounter).
This never happened to me on Retail (and I’ve played it up until Classic release and still occasionally do now), neither did it happen on private servers. This could of course be some problem on my part, which is why I’m making this thread. Has this problem occurred to any of you guys when playing WoW Classic? And if so, did it happen on Retail too?

1 Like

Maybe some file in the classic folder is read-only or you didnt close wow properly (Alt-f4 instead of exiting) or something idk

Did you d/c from the game? I have sometimes found that it resets things when that happens. It’s very annoying.

Yeah but then it would either reset all to default, or not save stuff from last cession only. Besides, I believe they save this stuff server-side nowadays (which is why you keep keybindings if you log in from a different PC).
What happens to me is a single binding disappearing at random.

It sounds like your Config.WTF isn’t saving from the last session or is corrupt, which has happened to me in the past.

I would suggest that you go to your WoW folder > Classic > delete the ‘Cache’ folder and then delete your WTF folder, BUT before deleting it, make sure you back-up/copy and paste your WTF folder somewhere else. Once both folders are gone from inside the ‘Classic’ folder, load up the game like normal, log in and log out.

The game will automatically create the WTF and Cache folders, but your Addon settings won’t be saved, so open your back-up WTF folder > Copy and Paste the ‘SavedVariables’ into your newly created WTF folder as well as the ‘SavedVariables’ that is inside of the ‘Account’ folder and also paste it in your new ‘Account’ folder. I’m sure you know what I mean, though.

Once you’ve got a fresh WTF folder, make sure to set all of your desired keybinds and settings then log out normally instead of exiting.

1 Like

If you get kicked from the game or end the program it does not remember your keybinds or autoloot type settings.

Forgets new macros as well :sob:

That could be it. Sometimes I just AFK in town watching livestreams and whatnot and get disconnected without noticing.

I’ll try that, thanks.

That works kind of weird for me in Classic too. I tend to edit a single macro quite often, rather than creating a new one each time. And while in Retail if I get disconnected - it resets the macro back to how it was before I logged in; in Classic it sometimes just resets it to a random state “from the past”, not to the state it was in before I logged in, not to any of the states it was in when I was logged in, but rather to a random one from 4 days ago, even though I’ve been playing and properly logging out all those days without any problems up to that point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.