Level 60 Hunter Pet Taming

Hello everyone,

I have a question about taming pets after you hit level 60. This is my first time on Classic, so please take it in consideration while writing your replies, thank you very much :).

So I have recently hit level 60. I tamed a level 60 pet, but I cannot increase it’s loyalty. I read some info on the net and I found a table, which says that pet needs 5% of XP of your next level XP to increase it’s loyalty (plus some time according to loyalty level). But it is impossible while are we both level 60s, right?

Can somebody please simplify this whole thing to me? Is it possible to increase level 60 pet’s loyalty? Or do you have to tame level 59 (or lower) to level it up? But how can it get 5% of your next level XP, while you do not have next level?

Thank you for your replies.

Rumajzlík

Did you try to farm enough?

Just kill mobs that aren’t grey to you and keep your pet well-fed, that’s all there is to gaining loyalty.

2 Likes

Yes, I killed multiple mobs with my level 60 pet, fed him with a stack of food, no change.

Well, you shouldn’t expect it to change very quickly.
I found the best way to gain loyalty or experience is to do dungeons, because you’re doing that while also hopefully getting some nice loot.

To address your main question though, just in case: it doesn’t matter if your pet is already lvl 60, the mobs that are green still count as “giving exp”. Just like the priest talent Spirit Tap doesn’t become useless at 60:
(Gives you a 100% chance to gain a 100% bonus to your Spirit after killing a target that yields experience. For the duration, your Mana will regenerate at a 50% rate while casting. Lasts 15 sec)

PS: also, food should only be used to improve your pet’s mood. If it’s already “well-fed”, pumping more food into it won’t make a difference.

Well pet w/o a single ability is quite useless in a dungeon…
About the food, I just give it to him to increase the mood.
So for the conclussion it does not matter if the pet is level 60 or 59 to gain loyalty and the 300 training points for level 6 loyalty?

Yes, it doesn’t matter. What is the pet in question, by the way? Chances are, if it doesn’t have any ability by default, its not a great pet in the first place. So unless you like its look, I’d probably recommend some different pet instead.

It is the Frostsaber Cat from Winterspring. I like the look. I know all the abilities already, I just need the training points.

What he means is that some pets already have skills trained when you tame them.
Like the pure white frostsabers. Cubs have Cower 6, Huntress has Dash 3, and Stalkers have Dash 3 and Prowl 3. If you go to a pet trainer and reset pet talents, the cost for those skills is also refunded.

Also, make sure you’re feeding the top level food to them. Loyalty will go up, but it takes time.

Can someone actually verify that the loyalty works correctly in this case? It could also be a bug as they had to re-write the whole loyalty code.

Doesn’t really matter as long as it makes the pet well-fed, feeding your pet with lower lvl food just takes longer to reach that state, but sometimes helps to save some money on cheaper food.

Yeah, but if the pet has just the 1st lvl of loyalty, the “refunded” skill points will only bring it from -100 (for example) to 0, so I wouldn’t respec your pet unless it already got some lvl of loyalty. I just wanted to make sure the guy doesn’t use some totally useless pet, but these cats are totally fine and viable.

True, you don’t have to use top level food.
But happiness gained is either 8, 17, or 35 based on how level appropriate the food is, and each level of happiness is 350 points to fill.
Each piece of food gives 10 ticks (over 20secs), so one piece of top level food fills one level.
At best, you get away with needing to use two pieces and waiting 40 secs if you use low level food. Using food that only gives 8 happiness means feeding it more than 4 pieces and waiting almost 1 and a half minute to fill one level.
Even if you try to top up with low level food, you’ll end up spending more time on it, since you’ll just be nudging it slightly into the next level and it will be back down again sooner.

But for leveling or increasing loyalty on pets that eat meat, the most cost efficient is just grinding beast mobs that drop meat. Shardtooths, for example.

Oh, and yeah, it’s not much use respeccing until at least loyalty level 2.
Skill points are pet level * loyalty level (with some reduction)

Kill stuff long enough and its loyalty will increase.

Ah! Almost forgot!
Iirc, the xp required to gain a loyalty level is 5% (maybe 10?) of hunters current XP, and an increasing time requirement.
Level 1 to 2 should be basically instant after you meet the xp requirement, but 5 to 6 has a much longer time requirement, so even after you’ve gained 5% xp it probably won’t reach the next level for a while.

You can actually get it to the max 350 points with bad food to avoid it sliding down to “yellow” happiness. It’s easy to see when you’ve reached the max because if you look at your combat log, the food ticks will start giving 0 happiness. Yeah, it takes more time, but you can still find a lot of 10 sec windows when your pet isn’t attacking anything to feed it, even while farming.

20 seconds. Only spending 10 secs would double the time and food needed.
And that would still require frequent feeding just to keep it up, or long breaks to fill it every time it drops below Well Fed.

The rules for loyalty are based on both XP and time spent with in game with the pet. That’s why your pet can sometimes level loyalty when you sit idle in a town.

Level 1 (Rebellious) to level 2 (Unruly) - 5% of hunter’s level XP - 0 minutes
Level 2 to 3 (Submissive) - 5% of hunter’s level XP - 30 minutes
Level 3 to 4 (Dependable) - 5% of hunter’s level XP - 45 minutes
Level 4 to 5 (Faithful) - 5% of hunter’s level XP - 60 minutes
Level 5 to 6 (Best Friend) - 5% of hunter’s level XP - 90 minutes

3 Likes

It’s not bugged, you just have to kill and kill and kill and you’ll get there. Just be persistent and fight either winterspring or EPL mobs. Easier to do Winterspring. Feed it as soon as the happiness drops to 100%.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.