Leveling Difficulty Changes Incoming

As players have jumped into The War Within and begun leveling up, we’ve seen data and heard a great deal of feedback that players coming into Khaz Algar with endgame Dragonflight gear were extremely powerful relative to that initial content. It is entirely intended that effort put into gearing translates into a significant combat advantage at the start of a new expansion, but the values we’ve been seeing are extreme, often not even allowing time for normal combat rotations. This disparity also caused mixed-level groups to experience skewed results, with lower-level players contributing drastically more than level 80s. Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 28, we’re going to apply hotfixes to the game to address this.

The hotfixes will adjust the scaling of enemies in War Within leveling content to increase the power of lower-level enemies, bringing the duration of combat more in line with expected WoW behavior. These changes will be most noticeable at level 70, and will have a reduced impact as your level increases. Enemies at level 80 and above will be unchanged.

Again, we’ll make these changes tomorrow, August 28.

Thank you!

17 Likes

That will be amazing for people yet to level… sure they will love that. Thanks for doing it after I did it all in EA.

51 Likes

Good thing that Early Access didn’t provide any advantages!

87 Likes

Really cool that all ppl with early access have 10 chars at 80 now.

58 Likes

Lets hope the tanks get the memo and stop mass pulling the entire dungeon.

Meh, who am I kidding. It’ll still happen.

15 Likes

thank you for waiting for me to level 6 characters to 80 before nerfing my guys. very thoughtful of you kaivax

19 Likes

Why should they? As long as they live and the healer can keep up, there’s no need to pull slowly and methodically. The tank just needs to adapt to the healer and the group - experienced tanks can make that call after the first pack.

5 Likes

currently doing heroic with ilvl 550 tanks, you can pull half the dungeon with boss as long as people know when to press defensives .
downside of the change is people wanting to level multiple chars, it will take now 3 to 4hours instead of 2hours

3 Likes

Thanks, this will be an excellent change. right now, leveling is laughably easy.

6 Likes

What is “expected WoW behaviour”?
Would it be so difficult to give us an actual number?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the problem. They don’t live.

2 Likes

Are you serious?! You’re changing the leveling process now? What about those who have already leveled their main and alts - are you going to reduce their alts back to level 70 and make them re-level them properly? I’m 100% sure that won’t happen. This is unacceptable and should have been addressed during beta. What’s the point of beta testing if not to identify and fix these issues? Even if this didn’t come up during beta, it definitely surfaced during early access, yet no action was taken to fix this bug or whatever it is - you just let it slide.

And what about those who haven’t received their game yet due to the Blizzard Gear Store’s messed-up deliveries? They couldn’t even get the game before early access, or those who still need to buy it - doesn’t that put them at an unfair disadvantage?

I suppose this is the new way of treating loyal customers. I’ve been playing since 2004, but your recent actions and the direction WoW is heading are pushing me further away.

48 Likes

This has got to be a joke. While the “world first raiders” were streaming leveling 15+ chars to 80 in one day during start of early access, all was fine. Now when the “regulars” come in, its time to make them level longer… God forbid you tested leveling with “endgame Dragonflight gear” on beta before release, better to let the public pay extra for the privilege of doing it for you in early access. This stinks, and I’m speaking as an early access player myself.

Do better Blizzard…

38 Likes

Blizzard always nerfs those left behind, which leaves early adopters always in the win situation.

12 Likes

Good change. Leveling content has been way too easy and it becomes boring because of it.

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, that’s probably the funniest thing they could do after global launch. How to make people that didn’t pay for EA even more mad, that was the most proficient way ever - literally not even a day after official launch say they gonna nerf a thing that was WELL KNOWN, and WELL ABUSED for last 4 (f o u r) days!

XD

31 Likes

Where’s the hotfix to give us earthen like advertised?

7 Likes

I have been chaining HC dungeons today and nearly all tanks pull large (whole corridor in the Rookery before the second boss, for example). It’s been fine and I have been able to keep up fine. Most people still interrupt or stop, so the avoidable AoE damage has been managable.

But I agree, it’s up to the tank to judge how big they can pull and adapt to the group and the healer.

Agree to disagree. And I’m glad I already have two characters at max level (this one doesn’t reflect it yet, but he’s 80). I don’t think I’ll be leveling another alt any time soon with that change in place.

8 Likes

Appreciate the changes…

But…

I still don’t understand the design approach. I mean, we’ve been through countless expansions by now. We’ve tried all the ways to transition from one to the other. So why still end up in this mess?

What works is a hard reset with a quest introduction that basically gives everyone a full package of item level 500 gear (something close to the previous expansion’s highest item level)
And then that’s the baseline the leveling experience gets balanced around. That way the decked-out mains start replacing their gear half-way through the leveling, which is appropriate, and the leveling experience itself is appropriately difficult for everyone.

I don’t understand why that isn’t the bread & butter design approach by now.

14 Likes