LFR and time gate

Hmm, we’re going to have to get pretty deep into the maths to solve this particular question. Let’s see if we can make sense of the complicated equations behind this:

1 = 1
1 + 1 = 2

So if we apply this to the LFR situation… it turns out that keeping people returning for a patch subbed for two months makes them more money than having them subbed for one month.

By me own beard, I think we’ve just solved it!

1 Like

Hey maybe just maybe, some people who do LFR don’t necessarily do it for the gear but to see the content of the story locked within it and absolutely couldn’t give a crap about raiding in general !

Amazing right ?

If you are for the story you have to wait as Blizzard doesn’t have anything else for you. If you would see the story withing one sub month then there would be no more story to keep you for second month and so on. Many in game mechanics and game design are there to force people into playing over long periods of time to keep the sub rolling.

And LFR “to see the story” is a kind of weak excuse from Blizzard. You do it once and you are done. There is nothing more for you to do related a new raid tier that took a lot of time to make and is a milestone in an expansion lifecycle. Instead providing fun things to do for everyone they just “hey, have a LFR” and job finished. And some people will do it for the titanforged gear.

Right? :joy:

I mean, seriously, I think raiders are pissed because LFR took away all the people pressing for gear. I bet a huge % of the “old-time” raiders were doing it just to get a new shiny and since now we can get it randomly from almost every activity in the game almost nobody wants to do any harder stuff.

Shows just how much players care for raiding these days :wink:

1 Like

LFR is not raiding. It is sightseeing.

1 Like

I made a topic for the LFR and other things that are wrong in the game, since this conversation is off topic here. I have no idea how I’m supposed to share it but here’s a link for it How LFG, ilevel and making the game more accessible is ruining the game.

True but without it not many people will experience the lore and story of the expansion.

Might as well just watch it on youtube. LFR breeds laziness, it sets the bar below people’s feet and they still manage to go under it, for which they get Determination buff? That is just silly to a point when I start crying.
I did retarded amount of LFRs in Legion for the legos and I can’t believe the type of people playing it as main content… LFR isn’t WoW. It is an AAA type of gameplay where the game holds your hand and doesn’t let you ever get hurt, while showering you with rewards for doing next to nothing.

2 Likes

I knew you were gonna say that but the thing is i agree with you it does breed laziness and in incompetent mentality but what is the fun in watching it on yt when you can play it yourself wow isnt that kind of game where you watch others play it for you.That works for single player games and then you try them yourself.

But LFR is just that - you watch the people who actually play the game kill bosses for you. Because Activision exclusively put rewards for mythic raiders (augment runes) into LFR, so that they have the insentive to boost. Agument runes are a very scares resourse, used mainly by Mythic raiders, put into the most casual of casual content - LFR, Mission table and LFD. This is so high geared player can que up, artificially bumping up the success rate % of the lowest level content.
I can’t really think of another system in any game similar to this one. Where the game sends your massively overpowered character to kill rabbits.

Strange i have never view it the way you do but judging from your perspective then its true again elitist players boost you throu lfr content while you just follow.

Ther are other activities. But I’d rather do the content with the story instead of watching it on Youtube like many did during BC/WoTLK. LFR is made to give a segment of players a taste of raiding and the stories locked behind it.

I don’t mind the gating btw. Just wanted to point that it’s not about the gear for many.

well point is, if you can do something an easy way you wont do it the hard way, hence why the number of people raiding went low.
imo.

2 Likes

LFR is part of the reason for all the timegating. The only way to get rid of timegating is to get rid of LFR.

LFR is so completely trivial that either it’s timegated because you need to wait for the next tier and there’s nothing new to pursue, or it’s timegated because Blizzard won’t let you do that because that’d be too easy.

Either way we can’t win. As long as LFR is in the game, we’ve got timegating.

prepares for impact with the LFR defense brigade

7 Likes

It went low because it’s the same old salvaged stuff. Don’t blame LFR for that. I play Mordhau, I love games offering real challenge and a steep learning curve.

Raiding in WoW is just not really my cup of tea. Doesn’t mean I would not enjoy the content once in a while though. But I’ve done it in BC and WoTLK and stopped since then. Thing just got old and stale and there’s no doubt players just looked for something new and refreshing elsewhere. The gear treadmill can get you so far but there comes a time when the content needs something new and interesting.

But is there any evidence that the number of people doing ‘proper’ raiding has actually fallen off?

If we consider the purported reason for putting LFR into the game in the first place was because the percentage of the playerbase that actually stepped foot into a raid was so low that the amount of time and effort put into creating a raid was out of proportion with the amount of people seeing that content.

Less guilds than before and less players across the board

1 Like

Ok I’ll change the metric slightly, is there any evidence that there has been a drop in the percentage of the playerbase doing ‘proper’ raiding has fallen off?

Looking at an old MMOC post from '15 the metrics show that the proportion of the playerbase that participated in the SOO was roughly the same as those that participated in ICC even though numbers overall were lower in MOP as opposed to Wrath.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1684581-What-percentage-of-players-complete-raids-at-each-difficulty-level

Yeah, exactly like that, due to LFD.

It’s time we get away from this gameplay of having seen absolutely everything within a trivial amount of time because it’s so accessible and exists in a version so easy that there’s literally nothing left to explore in the game after it’s been out for a month, with patches lasting a few weeks.

It’s not very satisfying to keep running on a threadmill of “do the exact same thing again but harder” because there’s no sense of character progression when you do that. If Yazma gets harder every time I kill her, is this a feeling of progress?

The whole thing is completely absurd and needs a total overhaul.

Go ahead and call me a radical for these beliefs if you want to. I don’t care. I’m sick of hearing the exact same group of people simultaneously complain about timegating and content being hard to reach because it requires time investment or skill.

How the heck are Blizzard supposed to win with you?! They can’t create infinite content, you know. Either it’s skillgated, effortgated, or timegated, or some carefully crafted combination. Take your pick. PLEASE.

2 Likes

I’d take skillgated any day but I can’t find that in these parts.