Lore Tidbit Thread 2

No sir-e-bob.

I come here to learn, I have nothing to offer in return but my gratitude :frowning:

Tidal guardians have been guarding naga realm for as long as it has existed, or at least local inhabitants (gilblins) have never seen one in the wild, hence the assumption that they always were intertwined.

More so, their mandibles, with the mix of kelpflower wine, are used in some local beverages, presumably some form of an energy drink.

https://gyazo.com/2f23884c784a31767e9b510dfb119f4c

It might only count for druids of gonk, have no clue, but in the world quest “Loa Your Standards”, several of the Gonky bois try to kill you when you prank them by showing a bit of disrespect to their Loa.

So it may just be followers or gonk, or it can go for all… point is, they take disrespect to their Loa veeeeeeery seriously. Even the hexlord says “Oh and they may try and kill you for this.”

He also says “If you think THAT was harsh, you should see what some of the other Loa has their followers do!” So this is apparently not a harsh reaction.

Gilblins are the true Kyles

A fun, sad and bizzare bit of lore for kul tiras:

Sea stalks bear magical flowers that live even when removed from the plant. These are carried by the loved ones of people at sea and the stalk is carried by the sailors as the flower wilts if the stalk is exposed to salty seawater, the flower’s sudden death being an indicator of the loved one drowning.

As such, some really don’t like sea stalks, thinking them bad luck.

3 Likes

A quest in Nazjatar has u kill some squid mind controller dude. He then spits a thousand and one riddle whispers at you.

As a Shadow Priest, When you say Seeker in void form (which is Shath’yar), it translates to N’zoth. Tried it personally too.

So basically N’zoth means Seeker in Shath’yar.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust the letter substitution algorithm used for ingame languages for that purpose. It’s better to go by the direct translations of various dialogues where we get both the spoken gargling and the voices to go with them.

1 Like

That’s a good point in general, although…

Not all of words work that way, as i have seen. Like, if i recall correctly, Sun always will result in “Belore” in Thalassian, while a words like *Silver has different outcomes from the algorithm. It may become “Danala” one time, and later “Reanos” or whatever. But Seeker always gives N’zoth in Shath’yar.

So basically i believe, other words wouldn’t give out N’zoth in Shath’yar, like another word with 6 letters. But i haven’t tried and can’t confirm. Regardless though, overall i think Seeker would be a fitting meaning too. :slight_smile:

Zandalari have the same tradition, if people wonders.

Yeah, the profession quests have similar cultural equivalents including rituals to bless metals for shipbuilding. We’re not so different after all…

shal’dorei = children of night, Nightborne
kal’dorei = Children of stars, Night elf

uppity elves don’t even know how to translate.

[heavy breathing]

Perhaps you need the lungs of Cenarius.

Reeeeeee

Its Kaldorei. The ’ in the newer Elves racial names is a indication of their degenerated bloodlines!

Archmage Mordent Evenshade says: I will not return until I am heard. There is too much at stake. There is a change on the wind, and we cannot ignore it. I have traveled from the dust and ruin of the past to come to an accord. The time may soon come when the kal’dorei require the knowledge and skill we have to offer. I will wait, Sentinel… but I will have my audience.

What did he mean by this?

1 Like

Ash’dorei* Settled it once and for all. :wink:

6 Likes

Didn’t they fix that, though? Anyways they tried to fix every Kal’dorei back to Kaldorei in Legion items and references…

But eh, Blizzard doesn’t even know their own lore anymore so yea.

It was a mistake, and still is a mistake, that quest writers and devs make on the regular.

The correct spelling is, and always will be, kaldorei.

As Moridunum stated alot of the Legion items also said kal’dorei, but Blizzard restored many of those mistakes.

Though the mistake is easily made when every other race has 'dorei in the spelling, but not the kaldorei.

1 Like