Lore Tidbit Thread 2

The previous lore thread got locked because of the forum inactivity system, so it’s high time another one is kicked into action.

I’ll start this off with the neat factoid that the original Orc Orphan from Vanilla’s Children Week in 2005 is now an adult.

It’s been 8 years since Vanilla in lore, with Vanilla being Year 25 and we’re currently in Year 33. Assuming the orc orphan was at least 4 years old, he’d be now 12, an adult, because of the rate at which orcs grow up.

Same goes for the orc child from Mor’shan Ramparts who asks about when his dad is going to come home and his mother says “Soon” and then goes outside to cry. His father was killed by night elves, and he’s old enough as of BFA to avenge him.

And here’s the previous lore tidbit thread:

Please post sources.

10 Likes

Ah ye, here we go again.

I am not very into void aberration/void lore itself, but from a recent WQ/quest I found out that holding mindbender’s organs (or some specific central brain of it?) causes champion alone to have severe headaches. If to touch/poke it - then the mind will be, and I quote, “assailed by a deafening psychic scream”.

https://gyazo.com/4699faf3a8682b8bae7c12970bb02b91
https://gyazo.com/3e47cab06f79f003355ea2df1d28f791
https://gyazo.com/81b9c12dfe1f8baef31a36f7963ad9ea
2 Likes

This is why I’m always quite vague about Manata’s age…

Related to this, wasn’t Durotan 13-ish when he inherited his father’s position as the chieftain of the Frostwolf clan?

Despite their popularity amongst necromancers and being the main troopers for the Scourge, ghouls are one of the most complicated undead to reanimate. However it is unclear exactly how they are created and why they are used more often over a typical zombie or skeleton by necromancers, but speculations would include that ghouls take less energy to create than other lesser undead.

Uhh… Wrong link?

The quest Naga In Our Midst suggests that at least some Night Elves believe the Naga were created as a result of Azshara’s arcane magic.

2 Likes

I love the contradiction, but is there actual lore to support that? Either of the two.

Nothing contradicting here, unless its all headcanon :stuck_out_tongue:

Well they aren’t entirely wrong… If you look at it from a Gods View like us players :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How is that contradicting? It takes more work but less energy to create a ghoul…

2 Likes

I’ve got the Traveler novel now, so here’s some tidbits.

On quilboar behaviour and (some) of their customs:

Certainly, the boar-men had the most intimidating visages, all snout and tusk. And by far they made the most noise. Grumbling and grunting constantly in low guttural tones as they marched past. Bellowing if they didn’t like the price of an axe. Belching and farting like it was their birthright. Occasionally, squealing like pigs for no apparent reason at all. But even these monsters required a second look. Most had decorated their tusks with war paint in intricate patterns. One had even used gold filigree. Others laughed deeply between belches, making their protruding bellies rumble and bounce above their belts or loincloths in a way that made anyone within earshot grin, Aram not excepted.

Druids can spark (small) fires:

The rain had picked up, and Thalyss used a bit of simple druidic magic—simple according to him, anyway—to spark a small fire beneath the rocky ledge with Aram’s damp wood.

Last but not least, some traditional greetings of tauren, centaur and quilboar:

As he had with Ridgewalker, Greydon gestured to his heart and head for each tauren. But to the centaur they encountered, he slapped a fist hard against his chest, and to the quilboar he snorted loudly.

6 Likes

I am interested… Tell me more Lore.

1 Like

There isn’t, at least none I could find. The only thing “known” is that outside the Scourge and the Ebon Blade (obviously), few know how to create Ghouls, and this is also not been given an actual source.

From old lore tidbits however it is hinted that Ghouls are “mutated” living sentient beings twisted by a curse or plague into cannibalistic near-mindless monsters driven by hunger for living flesh and as the curse/plague/whatever progresses it changes the body into the lovely thing we see in-game. Fun Undead critters, ain’t they?

Anything else is player OOC or IC speculation. :man_shrugging:

Ask and you shall receive!

On (Night) elf, human, stag and bear meat:

Throgg considered this and shrugged. He said, “Elf-meat taste horrible. But stag-meat and bear-meat good. Human-meat stringy. But stringy good sometimes. If Throgg in mood.

Murlocs taste like chicken, according to Ogres:

Throgg said, “Throgg hungry now. Does Throgg still kill murloc? Can Throgg eat murloc? Murlocs taste like chicken."

3 Likes

Then it isn’t a lore tidbit, innit. I reckon there is a necessity to have “lore speculations” thread.

2 Likes

Post sources nerds.

4 Likes

Equivalent exchange, you must give us some tidbits, too.

I mean, frogs supposedly do, so…

5 Likes

As Moridunum put it, none of my statements contradict eachother. http s://wow.gamepedia.com/Ghoul confirms it that few necromancers unaffiliated with the Scourge know how to raise ghouls.

Implying that it is “complicated” to raise something as a ghoul means that it is a difficult task from a perspective of casting spell or spending a lot of resources (be it physical or any form of energy i.e mana) to perform a ritual, so you stating that it is complicated to raise one (citation needed) and then say that it takes less energy to create one (citation needed) is a contradiction on its own.

https://gyazo.com/56c080ed6f4a950a96af2dcd9d686c16

mmok