Lore Tidbit Thread 3

In public. The novel says public displays of it are now considered distasteful.

You make it sound like there’s a Fight Club like underground setting for people who still enjoy this stuff.

We don’t talk about this.

5 Likes

Young Malfurion seems to be capable of controlling certain aspects of the waking world, yes - in the WotA trilogy, he calls on the wind’s powers while he is in his dreamform:

Again he called upon the wind, this time asking it to prove it was strong enough to push about more than simple vapor. Malfurion eyed the Highborne in particular, daring the wind to show what it could do.

And within their sanctum, the sorcerers suddenly found themselves assaulted by a gale. Three of their number were quickly thrown across the chamber, where they struck the opposing wall hard. As they fell, another stumbled away from the pattern, then tumbled over one of the still forms.

The rest bent low, seeking to keep from the wind’s full wrath. Yet, despite no more falling prey, it was clear that the losses already suffered had put a strain on the survivors, for the portal shimmered and twisted dangerously. The sense of evil that Malfurion had felt lessened.

It tells us there is some kind of overlap from the Dream and the waking world. He also calls on thunder, again in his dreamform:

Malfurion smiled at the other night elf’s folly. He raised his hands to the hidden sky and called upon its might.

Outside, thunder roared. The Highborne around the portal and the array faltered again, aware that this was not a part of their work. Even Lord Xavius frowned.

And suddenly the palace tower shook—then exploded.

Druids seem to be able to “imagine” areas of the living world in their dreamforms, and can then have an influence on it. In this case, Malfurion imagined Zin-Azshari and blows up one of its towers from his dreamform.

They’re not entirely invincible, though - Xavius is able to see Malfurion, and even strikes at him.

3 Likes

Well, in Xavius case it’s because his eyes were replaced with some kind of gems that gave him some unique sight, somehow.

1 Like

Thank you a lot, Mythundis!

As always, Shan’do Mythundis knowledge about all things druidic is unsurpassed :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing with us!

But I was actually wondering about the fact that I somehow seem to remeber that Malfurion could be both in the Dream and waking world at the same time in Stormrage, I think?

Basicly being in “two places at once”, during the Nightmare Invasion, instead of commanding powers in the waking world, while he himself is in the dream! D:

This too comes from Stormrage, and is either just before or after the passage I quoted. Malfurion is quite capable, as the only person, to exist in both worlds at the same time. To stand with one foot in the Dream and one foot in the waking world. I will see if I can find the passage later, but it does tell that he is quite able to simultaneously affect both with a ravaging storm (reposted as reply)

It’s a good thing Malfurion’s… Gary Stu-ness only ever transpires in books people cbb to read (Knaak is such a bore.) and not ingame or cinematics.

1 Like

More like Shan’DORK.

HREH. Goddem. :smirk:

2 Likes

Worth noting that in Warcraft 3 Malfurion is the only guy that comes up with a plan to defeat archimonde and was meant to be (something that was later retconned) more powerful than Azshara herself, as in the Warcraft 3 manual it is stated that he defeated Azshara in a duel.

Malfurion was meant to be possibly one of the most powerful characters around, then Blizzard decided that night elves have to be beaten up everytime they show their faces. So he was nerfed to the ground

8 Likes

Yea, thats the old canon like

stated. :slight_smile:

I still hate how the keep pushing Knaaks WoTA as canon, tho.

Old one was waaaaay cooler D:<

1 Like

I’d take Knaak over Christie Golden any day, tbh.
Sure, Knaak makes most of his main characters god-like in power level, but at least they can make mistakes and learn things. Golden just makes them utter saints unable to do wrong.

1 Like

Not originally… They were pretty good Before. ‘‘Arthas: Rise of the Lich King’’ was a great book.
It’s only recently that crab became a thing.

‘Our allies may be small, but do not dismiss their strength or skills with the arcane arts. They have experience fighting these Horde and Alliance invaders that will be of use to us.’ - Lei Shen

In-game, the size of mogu is wildly inconsistent. But Zandalari trolls are noted to be huge in the lore, and if Lei Shen thought his subjects would look down on them for being small, then that is quite telling!

2 Likes

Well, the Arthas book had a lot of already existing lore it needed to tell.
Other books like Before the Storm were, in my opinion, weak because they left her too much control and she obviously wants Sylvanas to be the cheap “I just want everyone dead” kind of morally fully black villain and Anduin to be the exact opposite good guy who’s pure of heart and does no wrong.

In Arthas, we already knew the outcome of the story from Warcraft 3. And the first half of it, that’s before the game couldn’t really be messed up.

If you think Sylvanas’ direction is Golden’s doing, you severely overestimate her power.

5 Likes

I see this coming up a lot, and I’m still surprised with the autonomous power some people believe her to have. Really not envying her that job.

Lets not forget the bit where she tried to push a “People don’t like me because I’m a woman” angle.

Right. Lore tidbits.

• It takes roughly three elven Sentinels to restrain a male Worgen, so that gives us some idea of their strength.
  • Turning “lemons into lemonade” is a popular saying around Booty Bay.
  • Gilnean nobles used to hunt feral Worgen for sport, vengeance and to try and stem the curse from spreading. This was done during the full moons; and though never explained beyond that, it stands to reason they wanted the benefit of well lit hunting grounds.