Lore Tidbit Thread 3

stop auto locking my lore threads :triumph:

When troll receives a vision Loa, they feel their lingering presence afterwards. After Vol’jin received his vision from Shadra, he experienced an ethereal spidersilk brushing his face.

Something brushed over his face, light and ethereal. It felt like a spider’s web. He went to scrape it away but found nothing. Instead, he remembered being a spider, floating, and looked seaward again.

He also received a warning from Hir’eek before his assassination attempt in the cave back in Dagger in the Dark.

Black bats shrieked and exploded from the cave’s hidden recesses. Vol’jin only faintly caught their cries—he doubted the others heard anything other than the flapping of leathery wings. One of the loa, Hir’eek, wore a bat’s shape.
Be this a warning from the gods that no good gonna come going farther?

When your troll has been touched by the influence of a Loa, there’s a sign.

Previous lore threads:

6 Likes

Maldraxxus is the birthplace of necromancy.

If you polymorph somebody whilst they are travelling through a portal it is guaranteed to cause an explosion.

While I’m scouring novels, I came across a neat little tidbit in regards to Malfurion’s tattoos and figured I’d post it here:

One mark that had nothing to do with beasts and perhaps more with Malfurion in particular was the blue bolts of lightning that crossed his torso from shoulder to opposing side of the waist. Smaller, complementing bolts darted from his elbow down his forearm. Stormrage was not merely the archdruid’s surname; it was also a hint of the tremendous power at his command, power that he sought to use only when all other efforts failed.

– Wolfheart, pg. 24

8 Likes

That’s an interesting find! How would you interpret it?

That Malfurion is an absolute badass! :slight_smile:

I meant more is it unique only to Malfurion, or is Malfurion simply an example of a druid who employs the power of the storm?

I think it’s a bit of a grey area, really – it seems unique to Malfurion in the sense that other druids do not have any tattoos like him, but we also know he was not born with them and we know they are not “required” for him to employ the power of the storm as he does.

We know that, even without tattoos, Malfurion already lives up to the surname of Stormrage: his grief during the War of the Ancients creates a storm so great that he is on the verge of a natural disaster, and Korialstrasz himself has to intervene.

The quote states they’re a hint at his power and, since he is the only known druid with tattoos, I think he’s exemplary in his command over storms. They’re not just there because he calls on the power of the storm, but because he does so with tremendous power - no doubt more than your average druid - and because he is called Stormrage.

2 Likes

He caught the Illidan bug. That tattoo’d chest and abs… :partying_face:

I shall give Broll some love too! And this interesting bit that druids can also manipulate growth of living plants. Perhaps this can also be done to people who wear a flower in their hair?

As Broll rolled to a halt, he became a night elf again. Teeth clamped from pain, he managed to cast a spell.
The ancient was a plant in nature. Even corrupted, he was covered in tremendous if now malignant growth. Still, that growth was yet susceptible to a skilled student of the druidic arts.
Stunted growths became thick, curling vines that within seconds ensnared the ancient’s limbs. Those near the hand that clutched Thura tightened, forcing Gnarl’s hand to open.

From Stormrage, page 729 (In single pages. About page 364 in the hardcover book)

And another quote regarding druidic spells

Broll then began a distasteful spell. It was possible for those who were strong to nurture from seemingly dead plants, even trees, some measure of life. For any true plant, Broll would have had no qualms trying, though he also understood the limits.

Page 726 (single pages), still in Stormrage.

And regarding Malfurion, he truly is a force of nature, and Gary Stue to some. There’s an awesome passage in Stormrage where he summons a ravaging storm to fend the Nightmare, spanning Azeroth and the Dream alike

Because he’s written by Richard A. Knaak, the author that is mostly despised by the fanbase due to his pet characters Rhonin, Krasus and Malfurion.

3 Likes

I can definitely understand why! But I enjoy the stories nonetheless, if for nothing else, then for a small bit of inspiration. Might be the devil himself for all I know .:christmas_tree:

Is hardly his pet character.

Even before the rewrite of the War of the Ancients into its lesser form, Malfurion was strong enough in the druidic magic to have a magical battle with Azshara and stand as her equal.

Telaryn, could you quote me the information about druids from Traveler? I presume you have it.

Page 220.

I have it on audio book so a chapter number would be better

Oh, I’ve no clue. It’s about druids shapeshifting. I’m curious, because I’ve just picked up a druid.

I’ve got some spare time on my hands, so here:

Murky was already snoring, but Aram’s eyes widened in stunned amazement as Thalyss began to transform before him and Makasa. Only his antlers and his silver eyes remained the same. He bent fully over as his robes glowed briefly, then vanished, and his arms became forelegs and his hands and feet hooves. His ice-colored hair actually shortened, turning into ice-colored fur, which grew rapidly, progressing down over his entire frame—now covered with strange rune-like markings. Last of all, his face stretched into the snout of a great stag.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true; but I seem to remeber that Malfurion is the only mortal druid capable of being in the Dream and Mortal world at the same time…?

Atleast thats how I remeber him being capable of creating a storm in both the Mortal World and the Emerald Dream… D:

Perhaps Mythundis can help me out here, or any other, more knowledgeable player then me :slight_smile:

One of the more interesting tidbits to come out from Before the Storm: High Elves used to host mock battles/combat for entertainment in a similar vein to Romans. Though they (blood elves) have become too dour to continue this form of entertainment, viewing it as too excessive and flamboyant.

1 Like

So… The pretty race that values aesthetics a lot is considers something to be… Excessive and flamboyant? :smirk: