Lore Tidbits #6

Gnomish music is so horrendous that the Mawsworn tried to implement it as a form of torture to more efficiently break down maw walkers and turn them into death goop.

6 Likes

A group of stone fiends is called a “Nuisance.”

I could see Forsaken not particularly caring about gender or physical sex characteristics given they’re all reanimated corpses but thats just speculation.

2 Likes

At the same time, there’s a bit of a precedent with Highlord being used for both men and women. Perhaps the Forsaken, seeing the need for new and edgy titles, simply took Executor and decided to use it for both genders.

1 Like

Also, “Executrix” sounds silly.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of ‘Executrix’ myself, but I imagine it only takes one Rotbrain to go “She don’t do tricks!” for it to fall out of favour…

^ This is reflected a lot in Warsong and Burning Blade culture as it’s presented in WoD. Burning Blade expressly forbid chest armour partly to compensate for the heavy banner, and partly because exposing one’s chest is deemed ‘valourous.’ Most big-name Warsong we see forsake chest armour of any kind as well, though that may be just to show off their sick tattoos.

I imagine too it’s partly due to demand; only the Blackrock Clan knew how to shape their namesake ore, and True Iron (as well as Truesteel) isn’t nearly as plentiful. It could be guessed that it was put to more useful things (like an axe anyone could pick up once you’re dead), but that’s purely head-canon.

And the general consensus of the thread is right: shooting or slashing at a stationary or distracted Orc is one thing. Standing down a 7’ monster of a man is horrific under any circumstance, particularly if you were conscripted (as seems to be the case by BFA and was surely partly a case during the 1st-2nd Wars) from tilling Pa’s field two days ago.

2 Likes

This also seems to be the case in WotLK, as seen with the lines of conscripted civilians in Valiance Keep.
There’s also the Hero’s Call boards which tell “all able-bodied citizens to report to ”. Maybe conscription is deeply entrenched in the alliance, or at least human culture?

2 Likes

It could also be good old fashioned patriotic fervour.

“You there, citizen! Do you want to do YOUR part for the ALLIANCE?!”

Especially since not every human in Warcraft is as needlessly cynical as the current crop of college graduates :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Regarding the strategy bit, Orcs are capable of pulling off some 4D chess moves in battle. They’re not all just raging berserkers who can’t think, though the individual grunt fights more like a warrior seeking personal glory which is why they tend to be drawn into 1v1s more easily.

When Garrosh invaded Ashenvale, he set the forest on fire. Tyrande laughed at the idea, because she and her priestesses could call upon Elune to magic it away - dumb orc doesn’t understand what he’s playing with. When they did, the moonlight shone down upon the location of each priestess.

Except Garrosh ordered his demolishers to blanket fire upon those locations, wiping out numerous Sentinel groups and Priestesses in the process. The forest fire was just bait to force them to reveal their locations of ambush, because they were melding in with the canopy. This allowed the Horde easy advance through Ashenvale, leading to the siege of Astranaar.

That’s how a real Warchief does 5D chess moves, not whatever Sylvanas was trying to do.

Bonus round re: orc skin. In the same episode described above, orcs can tank several arrows from a Sentinel despite their master class marksmanship skills. Those orcs confirmed dead by their arrows required nearly a dozen arrows to be killed; those who survived the barrage managed to tank several arrows to their chest, legs and arms while retrieving their critically wounded and dead.

9 Likes

Very interesting. I didn’t know that, and it’s directly relevant to my character’s backstory. Thank you!

1 Like

My opinion on orcish wits has risen considerably just now. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Worth noting that after the bombardment, the remaining Sentinels rallied and Tyrande conjured a giant beam of moonlight to keep the orc army crowd controlled with blindness, so they kept raining arrows on the orcs fording the river, though orcs can tank a lot of arrows before going down. Still, they were pushed back to the forest until Garrosh released the magnataur to break the night elf ranks.

Also to add another layer of complexity to this, despite Tyrande became aware of the demolisher plan, Garrosh still kept them firing in a specific pattern to corner Tyrande off and force her to evade into an opening where orcish archers shot her. One in the shoulder, one in the lower back. She was too busy avoiding the projectiles and lost sight of where she was evading to.

3 Likes

Man, Garrosh really was the greatest warchief the Horde never had.

1 Like

And there he stood. Haldrissa first recognized Garrosh by his stance. He was absolute master of the battlefield. He waved his foul weapon over his head, and even from where she was, Haldrissa imagined she could hear the axe’s wail.

Haldrissa was an officer under Shandris’s command who tried to suicide run at Garrosh in the hopes of taking him down with her after Tyrande was presumed dead in the archer ambush.

Though she failed to kill him, she ended up getting hold of Garrosh’s trumpeter’s war horn which was used to issue commands and tried to call a retreat for the Horde forces (having learned the pattern from previous battles), then got intercepted. Her death felt really poignant and showed an interesting perspective on honour between warriors on the battlefield.

“You fought bravely,” she heard the older orc grumble. “You fought cleverly. You don’t deserve such slow, painful dying, night elf.”

Somehow she nodded. What he said made perfect sense. She had fought long and hard for her people. It was time to rest. If only the pain would go away, she could rest.

The axe caught her along the throat, cutting deep and at last rewarding Haldrissa’s valor with rest.

The night elf had fought bravely, and as such Garrosh’s honour guard granted her a swift mercy kill to respect the dying warrior’s sacrifice and end her suffering. Her wound was mortal, but the death from it would have been slow and painful.

1 Like

Meanwhile to-be-redeemedvanas currently has a crisis on whether she wants to be like Arthas or not after pulling an Arthas and making sure to make her opponent at the time, Delaryn, suffers as much as possible in her last moments

stop, you’ll almost make me an orcposter with how much better garrosh is looking here :pain:

3 Likes

To give night elves some credit here as well, their glaives are particularly deadly. Despite the tough skin that acts as a natural armour for orcs and their ability to tank arrows, a Sentinel’s glaive isn’t it.

The glaive can shred through armour, all but cleaving through an orc. It flies incredibly fast and returns to the hand after being thrown. It takes dozens of arrows to down an orc, but the glaive is an exceptionally deadly weapon. One orc nearly gets decapitated during Haldrissa’s charge for Garrosh as she hurls it across the river; another one gets his side cleaved open through armour and falls into the bloodied waters.

Also nightsaber riders are trained to stay on the cat’s back even when the feline starts climbing up a tree to pursue a fleeing enemy. They are agile climbers.

2 Likes

It is also very likely that the demon hunter fighting style is of night elf origin. Especially when people say that Tyrande in For Teldrassil is fighting with a demon hunter-like style.

1 Like

Too add to the lore tidbits thread (now that I am rereading Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms).

Arathi Highlands:
Stromgarde Keep was already under Alliance control before the Fourth War and reconstruction started around the same time as the Horde started constructing Ar’gorok, it also never fell in-Lore to the Horde once.

Ar’gorok is haunted by the vengeful ghosts of the fallen and slain Horde soldiers, angry at their defeat they seek vengeance against Stromgarde and the Alliance.

King Danath Trollbane wishes to be cremated so he can never be risen like Thoras and Galen were.

The Church seen in pre-BFA Stromgarde is known as the Sanctum and, in-Lore, still exists in the rebuild Stromgarde Keep. Danath Trollbane allows SI:7 agents to check the crypt reguraly to ensure nothing changes as both Thoras and Trol’kalar are now gone (which was a surprise to the SI:7 agents visiting the crypt).

Also, it seems Thoras wrote a memorial verse either before he died, or after he was risen, in his crypt that gave hints to the whereabouts of Lordaeron’s crown.

"Here lie, Alone, the last of mortal bones

of one who walked 'midst kings and crowns and >thrones.

Once strong and bold, of trolls, the very bane

ah, Thoras, how doth fortune wax and wane.

I now am carrion; to dust return’d

mark ye well the lesson I have learn’d:

No man or king forever lives-lay down

all that keeps your spirit worldly bound;

your bow, your steel, your crown incarnadine,

prepare to keep the secret that was mine.

Bury it, forget it, and leave it lost.

For others come the Light, but not for me

tread not my path: do not an island be."

The Alliance (or the humans atleast) see what Calia did during The Gathering as something done out of compassion (and not her breaking her promise).

Also, apparently Anduin buried those Forsaken that died here. “It was our King who buried them and placed markers on these twelve graves”.

I’ll probably add more as I get along :smiley:

5 Likes

Please do!

As revealed in the Lords of War episode with Grom, it was after his ordeal at the hands of the ogre imperator that “From that day forward, the Warsong rallied to the banner of Grommash Hellscream.” Previously it was implied that the previous chieftain had been usurped by Grom through some underhanded means, but Lords of War seems to imply that he was originally a raider of high rank, and that his defiance of death via starvation (alongside taking on the whole ogre army alone) is what earned the Warsong’s trust. Perhaps the previous chieftain lost favour from their clan after this, and Grom challenged them to mak’gora and won? A little tidbit from WoD I gave some thought to.